Reggie's rushing problems (1 Viewer)

Oh, by the way Dan, great post. Bringing Tiki up is a great example of how Reggie needs to learn to run.

Damn good post Dan. I think one of the quickest ways to gain trust in the blocking shemes is to run full-contact and let the RB do his thing all day one day, then make him listen to the coach all day the next. This brings RB's back to earth(or beat up by the LB half-way through practice from him getting outta line)pretty quickly. If he gains the right timing with his line, Whoa Nelly!!

Great post Dan. I agree. Reggie's problem is that he is too impatient. He's used to hitting holes and taking the outside in college. It came as easy as breathing to him. Now, in the NFL, those holes close up fast. At first he seemed to understand that and be dealing with it. Now, however, he seems to be getting real impatient. He wants to break "the big one" as bad as we want him to break "the big one." You can see the frustration on his face. I agree, the RB coach should be trying to correct this and maybe he is. It will take quite some time for Reggie to get out of the habits he had in college. It worked there, but not here. Anyway, I'm still behind him!

Very good post Dan. I also saw a breakdown of the film on NFL network a few weeks ago showing Bush doing exactly what you are talking about. They also showed what Bush' brings to the offense as a decoy and he is very effective in that role.

Bush reminds me of Justin Fargas when he first came in the league. Fargas had similar raw athletic ability as Reggie. He was/is not nearly as shifty as Reggie is but he has the same type of explosive speed. Fargas tried to break everything outside and hit the home run on every play. This season Fargas has finally been able to use his speed a little more and he is doing it by slowing down. I think Reggie will get there and I would like to see Reggie running downhill more often and use his elusiveness in limited space by making people miss with one quick step like Barber and Dunn do instead of taking a couple seconds to set up the tacklers and allow the backside pursuit catch him. This would turn his one or two yard gains into 4-5 yarders and give him a much better chance of breaking the big one off. It will happen and I think Payton is going to be patient with him and allow him to learn the pro style running game with as litt pressure as possible for a guy as hyped as Bush.

you all seem to forget, the defense is keying on him... most rookies, they look at and move on.
or wait till that typical rookie makes them pay.
With reggie, they ain't taken that chance, because they know he'll make them pay if they do.

Dan, my thanks to you as always on a great tutorial for us all. I believe that Reggie will be much more effective later in the year and next year after he settles down and learns the complexities of the pro game. He is still living with the instincts of his USC days where he was mostly the best athlete on the field and could get out of situations with speed and agility! If he learns to use his blockers and then hit the hole he will be unbelievable, because he does have those unteachable intangibles. In the interim, he is keeping defenses honest and is a great receiver out of the backfield....Just no more halfback passes for now!

Reggie's problem has been rhythm. He's not "feeling" the NFL game. He's also 2

Reggie may be running with a bit too much urgency which is causing him to press and overthink rather than let things flow. You can attribute some of that to Payton's constant rotation between him and Deuce. On the one hand it keeps both men fresh; on the other, it may interrupt some of their rhythm. Deuce is a veteran and can handle it, but to a guy like Reggie, who is still clearly trying to learn the nuances of the pro game, it can be a little uncomfortable. He's trying too hard to maximize his carries with highlight runs and that's hurting him. You have to think that the hype and pressure of keeping his endorsements may be getting to him as well.

Reggie's problem has been rhythm. He's not "feeling" the NFL game yet. He's also 21 years old and he's frustrated. He's not getting hand-offs cleanly, he's concentrating on holding onto the football, and more than anything, he's NOT getting the ball in space. In other words, he's learning the details of playing against defenses who are faster, stronger, better. In a year, he'll be a Pro Bowler, in 2 years he'll be up for MVP. He's going through the same learning development he did at USC. This week, he'll probably have another rough week, and he'll show a flash of potential like that spin move or his one handed catches, or his burst of speed. No matter what he does stat-wise though, he's going to make defenses spread the field.

Thanks Dan that was a great. I agree that Reggie is not following his blockers when he is wide open, he can move down the field with ease but when he isn't he is getting tripped up and gains hardly any yards. Deuce is a good example of a back that follows his blockers and is able to penetrate the D line.

I think with some more experience under his belt (your right its not college!) and maybe some cross-out patterns in the meantime, we will be able to see mroe from him.

WHO DAT!

210.....we wont see the NFL reggie until next year when he comes in stronger in the legs and at about 210pds....much like Marshall Faulk..all the other rookie runningbacks in this league, Addai (6'0 218) Moroney (5'11 220) Drew (5'8 215-220) all have the power in the legs to run inside reggie is pure speed he is very strong (for his size...203) now he needs to be stronger 210.

210.....we wont see the NFL reggie until next year when he comes in stronger in the legs and at about 210pds....much like Marshall Faulk..all the other rookie runningbacks in this league, Addai (6'0 218) Moroney (5'11 220) Drew (5'8 215-220) all have the power in the legs to run inside reggie is pure speed he is very strong (for his size...203) now he needs to be stronger 210.

They also have better OLines for running. Not only that, Addai has Peyton and Co. passing like crazy which opens holes, same for Maroney. The passing games are so good that they set up the run and since neither of those teams get leads and run out the clock, the opposing defenses rarely get to put 8 in the box. Peyton and Brady contiue passing whether they're up by 7 or 27 so the running lanes are huge.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom