"Relax" said the left, "No one is coming to take your guns." (2 Viewers)

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

National Registry.. so we can tell the government what we have that they can come get?
It's about as likely that Beto takes your gun as Trump balancing the budget or hiring a competent staff.

Still, you have to appreciate one like yourself who can call folks out for lying yet still go to the mat for Trump.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score

FootballLady

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

National Registry.. so we can tell the government what we have that they can come get?
All vs. Some. The distinction is clear and you know this. You are intentionally spreading misunderstanding and acting in bad faith.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
All vs. Some. The distinction is clear and you know this. You are intentionally spreading misunderstanding and acting in bad faith.
oh i hope knows it.

however, if he doesn't, then it may just be an indication of his depth of knowledge.

UncleTrvlingJim

Administrator
Administrator
Super Moderator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, the left has been open about wanting to ban AR15's AK47s as well as high capacity magazines for a while now, you know this right Joe?

And most of the left has said they aren't interested in taking away your handguns or shotguns. And you know this right Joe?

So why did you make this post?

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I actually think this is a fair thread to start and ask the question if this is what we want as a country. The position O'Rouke staked out last night with that statement is beyond what just about any other candidate has proposed and beyond anything that he has proposed in the past.

I really don't like the thought of Federal officials going to or into homes to seize property that was legally purchased/obtained. Not that I'm saying O'Rouke is necessarily proposing that, but it's certainly the vibe he gave off last night.

I would very much be in favor of a voluntary federal gun buy back program for assault rifles and putting severe restrictions on when and how any current assault rifle in possession of a legal gun owner can be used or displayed. Also in favor of banning future sales of assault rifles.

Last edited:

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I actually think this is a fair thread to start and ask the question if this is what we want as a country. The position O'Rouke staked out last night with that statement is beyond what just about any other candidate has proposed and beyond anything that he has proposed in the past.

I really don't like the thought of Federal officials going to or into homes to seize property that was legally purchased/obtained. Not that I'm saying O'Rouke is necessarily proposing that, but it's certainly the vibe he gave off last night.

I would very much be in favor of a federal gun buy back program for assault rifles and putting serve restrictions on when and how any current assault rifle in possession of a legal fun owner can be used or displayed. Also in favor of banning future sales of assault rifles.
IF we're going to have a fair discussion about what a new assault weapon ban would look like and how it would be executed, let's talk about what that would mean and how it might be done.

First, it wouldn't mean federal officials just blanketly authorized to go into homes and seizing guns. It is one thing to enact new legislation that bans or otherwise substantially restricts new production or sale of certain weapons. Where it gets far more complicated is if the law tries to apply to existing weapons that are privately owned.

There are a couple of ways to do it. The least problematic (and therefore the most likely) would be to make the weapons illegal to possess - but the enforcement of the law would only be collateral to normal law enforcement operations. In other words, they wouldn't go out on a sweep to seize the weapons, they would simply enforce the law with its penalties (including weapon forfeiture) when they happen across it in other activity.

A more active approach could include searches and seizures based purely on the weapons-ban objective . . . but it would take quite a bit more effort. In each instance, law enforcement would have to obtain a warrant based on probable cause - and then go and execute the warrant. It might be reasonable to see that kind of activity in certain cases where individuals are known to carry caches' of weapons made illegal by the ban. But it's hard to imagine the federal law enforcement community having the resources to start teeing up warrants and seizures on ordinary citizens not publicly known to be in possession.

jboss

All-Pro
Reaction score
Another top notch JoeOKC thread. I'm going to enjoy the dozens of pages from this gem.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
O'Rourke can say that and get his sound bite, but it's unconstitutional.

Congrats on conflating one statement made by one candidate as the entire "Left" wanting to come take your guns.
I don't think it's unconstitutional (if it was done properly).

xSlickxRickx

Rookie
Reaction score
The ATF already has a registration list of all guns purchased legally. Unless it's been over 20 years since the purchase, at that point it's up to the dealer to keep the records if they so choose. I will never be okay with a buyback, just doesn't make sense to me, but if they force it upon us, they better give me exactly what I paid lol. It's the Government tho, wishful thinking.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 124
efil4stnias Everything Else Board 57

Headlines

Top Bottom