Remaining cuts/restructure predictions.. (1 Viewer)

What I want to happen:
Smith, Vilma, and Herring cut. Harper stays with this essentially his last chance, knowing that if he fails this season, he can be cut for a big savings then (unlike now).

What I'm afraid will happen:
Smith and Vilma restructure with a cut that is still not big enough to match their atrocious play, and still pushes some additional cap hit to the future. Nothing happens to Herring. Harper gets restructured pushing significant cap hit into the future.

Sorry, but after seeing our team commit so much money to so much defensive dead weight over the years, I don't have much faith. I'm a big fan of Loomis, but this stuff is getting old. Other teams have jettisoned less expensive and more productive defensive players this offseason. I'm disappointed the Saints haven't yet demonstrated the courage to do the same. It's particularly disappointing because the Saints have been so disciplined with so many other types of players. But when it comes to players who were once extremely productive for them but are now the antithesis, it's like they are totally incapable of coming to grips with that fact. Please, gentlemen, prove me wrong!

I don't see the need to be in a rush. If we need to cut bait, we'll do it at the appropriate time. I feel like a lot of teams have shown their cards earlier than they needed too. Loomis is playing a good game of poker.

I am OK if Smith takes a significant reduction and stays. At this point in his career he is a run stopper, which he did very well last year. He should have another couple of years as a rotational DE in Ryan's scheme where he will not be looked at to be a sack guy.

In terms of Vilma, my gut tells me that Sean and Mickey Loomis will find a way to keep him around for his leadership and the fact he really was the only point person in the Bounty scandal. Without his efforts in the courts, much of the truth would not have come out. In addition, the almighty Commissioner's powers were curtailed for future situations. I think there may be 'We owe him something' from the front office. Now having said that, I do believe to stick around Vilma will still have to also take a significant pay cut this year.

I just don't have any feel about Harper in terms of how he would do in this new scheme. Clearly, however, I don't think he is worth anything near what we are paying him, thus a pay cut of some sort should be a part of any decision to keep him.

Herring has to be gone.

I am OK if Smith takes a significant reduction and stays. At this point in his career he is a run stopper, which he did very well last year. He should have another couple of years as a rotational DE in Ryan's scheme where he will not be looked at to be a sack guy.

In terms of Vilma, my gut tells me that Sean and Mickey Loomis will find a way to keep him around for his leadership and the fact he really was the only point person in the Bounty scandal. Without his efforts in the courts, much of the truth would not have come out. In addition, the almighty Commissioner's powers were curtailed for future situations. I think there may be 'We owe him something' from the front office. Now having said that, I do believe to stick around Vilma will still have to also take a significant pay cut this year.

I just don't have any feel about Harper in terms of how he would do in this new scheme. Clearly, however, I don't think he is worth anything near what we are paying him, thus a pay cut of some sort should be a part of any decision to keep him.

Herring has to be gone.

This is pretty much my opinion as well... The caveat to Vilma staying is he will have to swallow his pride and take a pay cut as well as accept a role as a rotational player with Hawthorne. Vilma is a very prideful guy, so he may not accept that. I don't see the sense of paying starter money to Hawthorne and Vilma when only one will start.

I don't see the need to be in a rush. If we need to cut bait, we'll do it at the appropriate time. I feel like a lot of teams have shown their cards earlier than they needed too. Loomis is playing a good game of poker.
I don't necessarily disagree with you. It could still happen. I just feel like, given our history, I don't have much reason to believe it will happen. Not the way it should. I hope him wrong.

Why hasn't Herring been cut yet?? He's getting payed too much for a special teams contributor and he has no business being on the field with the defense.

We were 32nd in the nfl in runs @ will smith, from what sort of data do people get that smith is a good run defender? :idunno:

Why hasn't Herring been cut yet?? He's getting payed too much for a special teams contributor and he has no business being on the field with the defense.

He should have been cut at the same time as Dave Thomas and Johnny Patrick.

We were 32nd in the nfl in runs @ will smith, from what sort of data do people get that smith is a good run defender? :idunno:

Look at his tackle stats over the years. Dlineman rarely tackle receivers.

Herring has to be gone.
Smith was atrocious in all facets of the game. There is this giant myth that has been going around that because he is not a classic wide edge rusher and has big size for his position, that he must be this great run stopper. It's not. That guy blows contain all the time!

I could deal with him taking a significant pay cut. And by significant, I mean almost no guaranteed money and being close to or at league minimum. And that's something you just don't see with any team. The reason why I'm so pessimistic on it happening, and why he should just be outright cut instead.

Vilma? "Owe him something?" We do nothing but hold our team back from success when we act like that. God bless him, I love the guy, but we can't start making business decisions to overpay an unproductive player just because Goodell was a bad guy. That's letting Goodell win.

Stylistically, the scheme should fit Harper well. I'm just not convinced he's any good any more. He sure wasn't last year, but he was totally misused. Since the Saints stand to gain little by cutting him now, and a lot if he is cut next year, he should get one last shot.

Smith was atrocious in all facets of the game. There is this giant myth that has been going around that because he is not a classic wide edge rusher and has big size for his position, that he must be this great run stopper. It's not. That guy blows contain all the time!

I could deal with him taking a significant pay cut. And by significant, I mean almost no guaranteed money and being close to or at league minimum. And that's something you just don't see with any team. The reason why I'm so pessimistic on it happening, and why he should just be outright cut instead.

Vilma? "Owe him something?" We do nothing but hold our team back from success when we act like that. God bless him, I love the guy, but we can't start making business decisions to overpay an unproductive player just because Goodell was a bad guy. That's letting Goodell win.

Look at Payton's track record. He is loyal to a fault with certain players and coaches. I am coming to terms with the probability that some if not all of these players will remain with the team. Also, Smith, Vilma, and Harper will still take up significant chunks of dead money this year if cut, so a pay cut giving us something instead of nothing is more likely.

I think you are misinterpreting this statistic

It wasn't runs at will smith...it was runs in a certain direction...a lot of that can be accredited to the long runs off that side when will smith wasn't even playing DE...for example, jammal Charles long run when Wilson was playing end

Stylistically, the scheme should fit Harper well. I'm just not convinced he's any good any more. He sure wasn't last year, but he was totally misused. Since the Saints stand to gain little by cutting him now, and a lot if he is cut next year, he should get one last shot.

There's an even bigger misconception that will smith is washed up

His sack stats reflect that of a high end DT or a mid range DE pass rusher....guess where he was spending a lot of his time on passing downs.

You probably don't know that he played DT on passing downs

The containment issue is a problem with scheming...not will smith. You get mad cuz he's not being aggressive, then in the same post get mad that he's being aggressive and not containing

Smith a starter? I certainly hope not.

Smith is gonna suprise a lot of you this season! Just watch! Now he can gain weight bak to his natural size and gain strength back, instead of trying to get slimmer and thinner and faster to speed rush off the edge! Now he can just over power guys on the inside which is his strength!

Look at Payton's track record. He is loyal to a fault with certain players and coaches. I am coming to terms with the probability that some if not all of these players will remain with the team. Also, Smith, Vilma, and Harper will still take up significant chunks of dead money this year if cut, so a pay cut giving us something instead of nothing is more likely.

Being loyal is one of the most respectable traits in professional sports

Quit trying to spin it negatively

There's an even bigger misconception that will smith is washed up

His sack stats reflect that of a high end DT or a mid range DE pass rusher....guess where he was spending a lot of his time on passing downs.

You probably don't know that he played DT on passing downs

The containment issue is a problem with scheming...not will smith. You get mad cuz he's not being aggressive, then in the same post get mad that he's being aggressive and not containing
I frankly don't care about sack stats, because those are misleading. Yes, I know he slid inside on passing downs. I'm not mad because he's not aggressive. I'm frustrated because he's not at all productive, with whatever he's asked to do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom