Remember 3 nozzle gas station pumps? (1 Viewer)

dajmno

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Now there is just one nozzle with buttons to select octane. Sometimes I think there is just one big tank underneath the gas station that has one type of gas that goes to all nozzles. And people that buy the more expensive gas are suckers.

PayOrPlay

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Even on a 3-nozzle pump, how do you know all 3 nozzles don't come from the same tank?

:scratch:

My dad used to comment about this back when they started consolidating different grades of gas onto a single pump. You ain't safe unless it's this kind:

OldGasPumpTexaco.jpg

OP
dajmno

dajmno

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Notice - you only see one gas truck at a time at a gas station. Do gas trucks have internal separate tanks?

TXSAINTFAN

Music is Life
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm kinda old but I don't think i ever used one of the Texaco pumps.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
there's a Simpsons episode with Homer visiting the Duff plant - they can sample from taps for Duff, Duff Lite and Duff Super Dry - the "camera" pans back and we see they all attach to one tube

Severum

Staff member
Administrator
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Notice - you only see one gas truck at a time at a gas station. Do gas trucks have internal separate tanks?

Tankers can have several separate compartments for different product. The station might only have one or two tanks filled depending on their needs as well. A typical station has separate tanks for each grade or two for low and high along with a blender dispenser for mid grade.

In Louisiana you can see how many tanks a station has by checking the most recent UST certificate at LADEQ's EDMS.

jackers

Voted Ron Paul - '08
Reaction score
I have a 2003 cobra that needs 93 octane. Anything less and my motor starts detonating. Ask me how I know? Because I got a "bad" tank of 93 and blew my motor at the track.

Now I'm blaming the single nozzle theory!

sbadeaux

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yes

Gas delivery trucks have 3 separate tanks. Even when there were three nozzles the same pump pumped the gas from the separate tanks.

Madhattr

My Woman
Reaction score
Even on a 3-nozzle pump, how do you know all 3 nozzles don't come from the same tank?

:scratch:

My dad used to comment about this back when they started consolidating different grades of gas onto a single pump. You ain't safe unless it's this kind:

OldGasPumpTexaco.jpg

Why does the pump say "Fry"? Is it also used for cooking?

moe1967

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Now there is just one nozzle with buttons to select octane. Sometimes I think there is just one big tank underneath the gas station that has one type of gas that goes to all nozzles. And people that buy the more expensive gas are suckers.

I actually knew a small grocery store that did this exact thing back in the 90's.
There was only 2 tanks for the supply tanker to fill, and one of them was diesel. Yet, they sold 87, 89, 92:scratch:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom