Remember When Peter Finney Was The Man (1 Viewer)

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Reaction score
I remember back in the 80s having my father mail me clippings of Peter Finney's columns. He was usually good, and more often than not great on the Saints. I like a couple of the new columnists (can't stand a few others), but have sort of missed Finney's voice.

It was really sad to see a glorified book report on a freakin' pre-season mag as his column. Next to watching a good Jim Mora rant over and over again, reading a good sarcasting Finney column used to ease the pain during hard seasons.

Anyone else used to love his columns? I know some of my friends growing up in NOLA weren't quite as fond of him.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that column. Its one of the oddest things I've ever seen, its not like he had a witty take on the magazine or football magazines in general or anything at all, it was literally a condensed overview of a pre-season football magazine.I didn't think my oppinion of the Times Pic. could get any lower, but they outdid themselves with this one. Do the even have an editor? If so, can he read? just pathetic

Finney is without a doubt the most astute and best sports column writer at the T-Pic.Although he is getting up in age, I haven't seen a drop off. Everyone has a column now and then that is boring or seems off the wall, but overall I give the man an A-plus.

I like Finney, but I also miss Dave Lagarde. I wonder where he is these days.

A little lazy, but it's the middle of June. The Sac au Lait must have been biting.

Anyone else used to love his columns?

i did. growing up, his column was usually the first part of the TP that i read. i had noticed a little bit of a drop-off over the years, but haven't read him in a while and didn't realize the extent of it... still, he is one of the 'Mt. Rushmore' of NOLA sports journalism along with Henderson, Glaudi and Diliberto.

Oh yes, nothing better than the hot feel of a freshly tossed States-Item.

I am only 26 but I have never personally cared for Finney. I think DeShazier has always been my personal favorite.

Did anyone else think that it was a bit pompous for Finney's article to always have the continuation note of his own name? (i.e. see FINNEY C-3) Maybe that was all the editor, but it always bugged me...

Finney is still the best. This column isn't so hot, but so what? it's the summer doldrums, and personally i appreciate a wrap-up of the preseason rags and how they rate the saints.

of course, this article doesn't go that far.. it's mostly just athlon. but when saints season gets in gear, there's still nobody better than Finney in print and Henderson on the airwaves

Finney in the last 5-10 years is becoming a bit too nostalgic about his columns. He can't write one without mentioning some obscure person from the 50s or 60s that has little or nothing to do with the subject that he is writing about. His game reporting is pretty average as well. He'd probably be a good writer of obscure historical sports figures, but the TP needs to start thinking about how to phase Finney out. Maybe cut his circulation to one or two stories a week. I am sure he was a great writer in his day, but that day is passing.

Finney has been mailing it in for years, and no one at the Times-Picayune, which has no competition, has any interest in correcting him.

He was the best sportswriter and columnist in the city for many years, but he lost his bite long, long ago.

He needs to be on page 2 on Sundays with a "Remember When" column. As the city's "lead sports column," he's inert matter taking up space where somebody with insight, wit and the courage and willingness to say tough things and take stands ought to be.

Finney in the last 5-10 years is becoming a bit too nostalgic about his columns. He can't write one without mentioning some obscure person from the 50s or 60s that has little or nothing to do with the subject that he is writing about.

in all fairness-- he's always been that way... being a sentimentalist myself, i like that aspect of his writing.

on another note, i've always enjoyed his "Crystal Ball Predictions" on New Year's Eve...

I'm with a few of you on here. Lagarde wasn't as emotional, but I liked his takes. DeShazier is in my mind the most interesting read in the post Ditka era. I also didn't mean that this column equalled Finney's usual now. He still has a few good ones a year, but just not the must read it was. I agree with whoever said it's more the editors' fault than anything for running with this.

I remember back in the 80s having my father mail me clippings of Peter Finney's columns. He was usually good, and more often than not great on the Saints. I like a couple of the new columnists (can't stand a few others), but have sort of missed Finney's voice.

It was really sad to see a glorified book report on a freakin' pre-season mag as his column. Next to watching a good Jim Mora rant over and over again, reading a good sarcasting Finney column used to ease the pain during hard seasons.

Anyone else used to love his columns? I know some of my friends growing up in NOLA weren't quite as fond of him.

I remember reading his articles periodically, LOVED his satirical predictions article that was usually made on 1 Jan for the upcoming year. He would predict by month big sport events in La: bowl games, LSU, Tulane, Saints, etc. It was always a great read.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom