Rep. Charmaine Marchaud & my blood pressure (1 Viewer)

Bless U Boys

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/15756147.html?showAll=y&c=y

What is wrong with you? You work for the people. Maybe you should try what all of the other working people do and buy their own lunch, or a brown bag every now and then.

"At $50, we’re going to be eating at Taco Bell,” she said

50 bucks at taco bell feeds a basketball team.

"She said she considers Copeland’s to be relatively inexpensive."
Not for everyone, but I suppose someone of her stature is below anything else.
Sorry for my rant, but politicians really get to me sometimes. Maybe I'm alone.

The issue to me is not whether it's $50 or $500. It's the idea of a lobbyist buying meals for lawmakers.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/15756147.html?showAll=y&c=y

What is wrong with you? You work for the people. Maybe you should try what all of the other working people do and buy their own lunch, or a brown bag every now and then.

50 bucks at taco bell feeds a basketball team.

Not for everyone, but I suppose someone of her stature is below anything else.
Sorry for my rant, but politicians really get to me sometimes. Maybe I'm alone.

How about NO meals bought by lobbyists?

This is the problem. People go into politics as a career instead of public service. They expect to be wined and dined, to get sweetheart deals and investment opportunities, to generally make money off of the office...

She ought to be cut off completely. Who says a lobbyist should be allowed to bribe a lawmaker in any way? They can set up a meeting and make their case without money or gifts changing hands.

It just proves to you that some of these elected officials believe they are owed these perks. Someone should tell them, it means you should bring them into your office during the day and discucss business.

They should require that they cannot consume alcohol during one of these occaisions as well. I am sure it would be frowned upon if they were getting liquored up in their office meetings and these are just an extension of the office right?

Is it really good to have these people making decisioin that involve your living while their buzzed or drunk? Think about it.

I liked the Zero figure from my congressman. He's right as far as I am concerned. Zero is good. You don't NEED a lunch to get business done.

Whoever doesn't want this needs to be voted out and the fact that there is so much fight against it is irritating.
What is the punishment for being caught and will it be enforced? Immediate removal sounds good to me.

Her constituents should e-mail her.

Last edited:
Her constituents should e-mail her.

What constituents? She represents the Ninth Ward.

Assuming redistricting is on the horizon, her days in office may numbered. That's probably why she wants to get as much out of her "job" as possible.

I also like the Michael Corleone/Judge Smails solutions.

"My offer to you, senator, is nothing." aka "You'll get nothing and like it!"

How about NO meals bought by lobbyists?

This is the problem. People go into politics as a career instead of public service. They expect to be wined and dined, to get sweetheart deals and investment opportunities, to generally make money off of the office...

She ought to be cut off completely. Who says a lobbyist should be allowed to bribe a lawmaker in any way? They can set up a meeting and make their case without money or gifts changing hands.

Bingo. And as varanook and others said, what's wrong with zero?

I don't like everything about Wal-Mart, but Sam Walton (and it's still a huge rule there) wouldn't let his people take so much as a coke from a vendor, and he was exactly right to set that the bar there. Sam understood the power of incentive-caused bias.

Not to mention they get $113/ day per diem to pay for meals while they are in session, plus $6000/ year "expense" allowance(this was as of 12/06- it may be more now).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom