• LineBacker

Votes: 33 18.5%
  • Defensive Line

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters

ThaMain1

Crash and Dash
Reaction score
Looking for where you believe we need to draft to fill holes in our D. If you can make a suggestion as to who you believe that pick to be. I am also running an Offensive poll and will take the results of the two seperatly and combine for the tops overall.
On the defensive side I believe our greatest weakness to be at CB and for that position I like Antoine Cason Arizona. Quick bio :http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/antoine_cason.html

Had a post similar to this meant for it to be a poll and screwed up.

Given that we won't be in the top 5 (a good thing), I think we take the best LB available.

I'd rather get a good cornerback in FA. This changes to DE if Charlie Grant doesn't resign.

Mikeeeee

I still have a love affair with the Alabama DB's. Not to say that the majority of the LSU DB's aren't good enough. Is there anyone else out there except the SEC :)?

I know most teams draft O first (except Houston :)), but I don't think we need it in the first round. A good enough TE will show up in the middle rounds that can fill that hole. I say go D first and get a LB or DB. A darn good shutdown corner or a bruiser LB woould do the trick.

I say DB.

I say CB, (DB), LB, Freebie.

That is to say, of course, a cornerback a linebacker, and the best available free agents to shore up the Line and Linebacker Corps. Patrick Willis would be nice, but I do not think he will be available when we pick. I think we have to go with the best corner we can get, then go LB with our picks. In addition to that, we must be equally as aggressive on D this year in free agency.

I am pleasantly surprised with our OL, and there even seems to be depth there! Strief looked good last week against Tampa Bay, and the other backups are serviceable as well. We might target an additional O-lineman, though, in FA.

Ken

The secondary is the least of our concerns.

I know everyone is loving Hollis Thomas, and the effort from Young, but I still think we need a premier player at the defensive tackle position.

It all starts up front on defense. The Patriots have always had marginal talent in the back 7, but always have stellar defenses because of studs like Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, etc. Look at their secondary. They have an aging, slow Rodney Harrison, and nobody else. Freddy and McKenzie are fine. We could use some depth, because Craft is god awful. Harper and Bullocks were and will continue to be one of the best young safety tandems in the league.

Simoneaux and Shanle have played admirably and with much heart, but they are still mediocre at best. They look good to many of us because even they are an upgrade from what we had, but our linebackers are still below average. Fujita is the only one I am really comfortable with. We could definitely use upgrades at MLB and WLB. One of the most important positions on the field, with regards to creating big plays and turnovers, is the WLB spot (see: Derrick Brooks). I don't think Shanle has one forced or recovered turnover this year. We could use a playmaking WLB in a major way.

In summary: DT, WLB, MLB... in whatever order our staff feels is correct.

Last edited:

I know everyone is loving Hollis Thomas, and the effort from Young, but I still think we need a premier player at the defensive tackle position.

It all starts up front on defense. The Patriots have always had marginal talent in the back 7, but always have stellar defenses because of studs like Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, etc. Look at their secondary. They have an aging, slow Rodney Harrison, and nobody else. Freddy and McKenzie are fine. We could use some depth, because Craft is god awful. Harper and Bullocks were and will continue to be one of the best young safety tandems in the league.

Simoneaux and Shanle have played admirably and with much heart, but they are still mediocre at best. They look good to many of us because even they are an upgrade from what we had, but our linebackers are still below average. Fujita is the only one I am really comfortable with. We could definitely use upgrades at MLB and WLB. One of the most important positions on the field, with regards to creating big plays and turnovers, is the WLB spot (see: Derrick Brooks). I don't think Shanle has one forced or recovered turnover this year. We could use a playmaking WLB in a major way.

In summary: DT, WLB, MLB... in whatever order our staff feels is correct.

Great point. Any idea of the DT you'd like?

Any idea of the DT you'd like?

FYI, NFLDraftCountdown has the Saints drafting DT DeMarcus Tyler (NC St.) at #25... whose nickname just happens to be "Tank."

I know it's just one dude's opinion, but whatever. Also interesting is that the Saints take him 1 spot ahead of the Pants, who take ILB Buster Davis (FL St.)

And 2 spots behind JAX, who take Patrick Willis.

Allen Branch DT from Michingan or Glen Dorsey DT from LSU would be my top choice. We can get a quality CB in rounds two or three. I would much rather solve the CB through free gency and pick up a stud round 2 LB.

Interesting point, but we cannot continue to be one aging Fred Thomas injury away from starting Jason Craft and expect to be contenders. The position needs an infusion of youth and talent no matter how you slice it.

CB, DT, and WLB would be my order of preference.

It depends where we pick.......I like Cason and I really like Leon Hall, but will they be there? I also like the Jr. DT from Michigan.....can't remember his name.
Something tells me Simoneau isnt the answer at MLB. H.B. Blades looks the part, as does Willis. I suppose a dangerous TE like Z.Miller or G. Olsen is about the only offensive position I'd consider in the 1st.

Interesting point, but we cannot continue to be one aging Fred Thomas injury away from starting Jason Craft and expect to be contenders. The position needs an infusion of youth and talent no matter how you slice it.

CB, DT, and WLB would be my order of preference.
Tis is exaclty why I voted for the CB position as well we need young depth.

Also, I am far more worried about an injury or age taking Hollis Thomas out of the mix than I am with Freddy or MM. Not to mention that we have nobody behind him to spell him. I am extremely worried about his fatigue as this season wears on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom