Repaired: Defensive draft 07 (2 Viewers)

Defensive draft pick 07

• Safety

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Corner

Votes: 134 75.3%
  • LineBacker

Votes: 33 18.5%
  • Defensive Line

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters
We definitely need a solid MLB first and far most. If a team can't run then you don't get burned with the play action fake.

Also, when it takes 2, 3, or 4 tacklers to bring down a RB it wears down your defense.

In all 3 of our losses we allowed the RB's to rush for over 100 yards. Also, we let molasses McNair run for 23 yards on 5 carries. We gave up runs of 72 & 76 to Parker and a run of 43 yards to Foster.

Right now I would have to say that due to age, CB is our most pressing need. If we can fit a young quality free agent CB in under our cap I'm all for it, but when looking at players that the Saints may take either in FA or the draft we must take into consideration the character of that player and the football intelligence of that player. I don't believe that after all the work that Payton and his staff have done to put together the type of players that are on this team, that they will all of a sudden start signing "ME" type players and ruin the chemestry he has created on this team. Next to that, I believe our greatest need would be MLB. At first, I didn't believe what people were saying about Simoneau not making plays because I felt that Payton and staff wouldn't have him starting if he wasn't playing well, but after specifically watching Simoneau over the last few games and seeing him out of position, standing around, and not mixing it up and getting in on tackles, I don't understand why Clark isn't getting more of an opportunity. Sadly though, MLB isn't our only weakness in the LB corp and we will see how the front office and coaching staff adress those issues as well. Next up I believe is the DL. While I'm not at all overly impressed with either Charles Grant or Will Smith, I will give them the benefit of the doubt and see if getting a better player at DT than Young will help this unit get better. 7 or 8 sacks a year by your DE's people does not indicate quality players, 10 sacks or more per year does. As for the O-Line, while I'm not in the least impressed with their run blocking, I am impressed with how they have come together so quickly and done an exceptional job of protecting Drew Brees this year, and I know that to get better at run blocking, you have to run the ball which we don't do a lot of. Earlier though, I was thinking that we really did need help on the O-Line, then, when Jamal Brown went down and Zack Streif came in and replaced him at LT of all positions for a rookie RT to start and kept Simeon Rice's name from being called, I was in shock and actually had to reassess my thoughts on the O-Line and still I feel like we could use a really good G but it's not as important as the defensive needs. Looking at this draft, I could actually see us going totally defensive in all of our picks, but the question of Joe Horn is the only sticking point in that scenario but I guess those are good problems to have.

The problem is not our pass rush Grant and Smith get in peoples faces well enough along with Thomas and Young. Its the fact that QBs don't have to worry about being picked off by our marginal secondary, so they aren't afraid of chucking the ball away.

Patrick Willis!

Linebackers historically drop in the draft and Patrick Willis won't be a combine warrior (he'll run solid but not spectacular numbers). So he may slide past the teens into the 20 to 30 range where we can get him. And he's a Payton type player.

Don't know much at all about Willis, but it sounds like Rod Davis to me.

Don't know much at all about Willis, but it sounds like Rod Davis to me.

No, "Hot" Rod was never good enough to be a starter in the NFL. He wasn't even "adquate" physically and had been inflated by inferior (CUSA) competition.

Willis is a 4.6 - 40, 240+. He's definantly fine on measureables and he plays vs SEC competition. All my comment meant is that he won't have the "freakish" measurables typically nessecary to get a LB drafted in the top ten (ala Lavar Arrington). AJ Hawk being the most recent exception to this rule.

Rod Davis was a stud in college but he collapsed win he entered the NFL.

USM had some great linebackers in 02'. Michael Boley and Rod Davis.

BPA.

if it came down to a CB or a LB, I don't think we can go wrong with ether pick.

I Think The Whole Secondary Should Be Looked At, Bullocks Is No Good, This Is Our Biggest Need

Who the hell thinks we need a safety. One guy is hurt and both are learning.Geez people it is one F@#king game the guy didn't play good. Give him a break. You don't think he knows how he played? In fact you - never mind you don't deserve advice.

MLB - Patrick Willis....The draft will depend upon FA pickups. I hope we can aquire a top CB FA prior to the draft. I would also like to draft a CB to develop. The DL needs help as well as another receiver.

well, i don't mind acquiring another Dt in the draft they way we did... via trade for vet.. I don't want any more 1st round DT busts or may possibly emmerge in 3 or 4 years after killing our run defense for those said years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom