Replays of interference calls (1 Viewer)

I'm not kidding when I say I wonder how many decades before the entire game is computerized and with robot refs. When you think about it, all NFL rules SHOULD be objective. Humans can never be 100% objective. I honestly believe at some point in time players will have some sort of sensors on their uniforms, in the balls, and on the sidelines/endzone that objectively calculate everything.

I'm all for having the refs be more selective about what they call for P.I.

But lately I've been seeing alot of complaining about the actual spot-foul rule. Personally I don't have a problem with it. If you start doing just the 15 yard penalty, you're gonna start seeing more pass interference calls as a defensive strategy.

Example: 20 seconds left in the 4th.....a team is down by 3 or less........that team is on their own 22 yard line.......QB takes a shot for his WR, who is around the opponent's 40 yard line. Defender sees what's likely about to happen and blatantly interferes. Without a spot-foul penalty, now that team only gets to move to their own 37 yard line. And oh btw, about 8 seconds went off the clock, so not only are they still 13 yards short of even being at mid-field, but they're also working with only about 12 seconds.

Again....all for the refs "letting them play" and just calling the blatant stuff......but the whole point of the current P.I. penalty is to discourage it from happening altogether.

My post from another thread about this topic:

To me, the remedy to this issue with making PI a 15 yard penalty is for the NFL to have a rule similar to the NBA's "clear path" foul. In basketball, if a player is determined to be fouled with a clear path, he gets the 2 free throws and the offense retains possession. Similarly, if a defender grabs a receiver who is determined to have a clear path, the normal spot foul should be enforced. There could be criteria set in place to determine clear path.

So, basically, most PI's are 15 yards and automatic first. Clear path PI's turn into spot fouls like now. If we make PI's reviewable, then PI's in the end zone get placed at the 1 yard line. I think that makes PI fair to both sides of the ball.

There won't ever be a perfect solution. Will there be times where the defender interferes and the 15 yard benefits the defense? Sure. But, the disparity is too much in favor of the offense right now. Clear path helps to protect the integrity/spirit of the penalty but helps reduce these 30-50 yard penalties on subjective contact.

There are some crews that already call PI the way I wish it would always be called.

That just needs to be mandated across the board. And to do that, you are gonna have to rewrite the rule with more leeway and less gotchas.

Even in a single game itself PI rules are being enforced differently from 1Q thru 3Q and with seemingly more scrutiny in the fourth quarter. It sure feels like a neat way the league to *influence* a football game, moreso than any other "immediate" or live-action way.

I don't think the league will give up this influence willingly.

Even in a single game itself PI rules are being enforced differently from 1Q thru 3Q and with seemingly more scrutiny in the fourth quarter. It sure feels like a neat way the league to *influence* a football game, moreso than any other "immediate" or live-action way.

Which is exactly why they'll be no change.

It's the league's secret weapon for turning games the way they want or at least keeping them close and "exciting."

Notice they let us play in the 1st half of our last game. Then suddenly, the crew starts calling PI completely differently in the 2nd half.

Yeah but throwing up 2 balls into the end zone and our dB can't make a play on the ball is bs the Vaccaro call was bs the score would not have been that close if the refs just let them play

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom