Report: 4,300 Seats Eliminated in Mercedes-Benz Superdome, Saints Season-Ticket Holders Affected (2 Viewers)

ktmoze

VIP Subscribing Member
Approved Blogger
Reaction score

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since it's nearly impossible to build over the old site, and the Saints wouldn't have a place to play for at least a full season, building over the current site is pretty much not going to happen.

neworleanshoo

hoodat
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Since there’s not much else to talk about
The only ‘new stadium’ thing I heard that made sense was the idea of building it on the former Lafitte PJs (now ‘Providence’)
it would have kept it in the city, nearFQ, close to highway system
Since that didn’t happen, I’m good with continuing to improve the Dome
Providence is just the developer - it's called Faubourg Lafitte. Regardless, there was zero chance of that ever happening. As someone intimately involved in that project, I can assure you... it was hard enough as it is. The idea that the City Council ever would've approved the demolition and sale of storm-damaged public housing - to make way for a football stadium - is an utter fantasy. (great location though!)

IMHO, the one and only spot for the inevitable new stadium is right where it is. But that battle is 15 to 20 years away tops (thank goodness).

neworleanshoo

hoodat
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Since it's nearly impossible to build over the old site, and the Saints wouldn't have a place to play for at least a full season, building over the current site is pretty much not going to happen.
It's possible and I think it's the most likely scenario (and the one that makes the most sense). But not for 20 or so years.

Quiet Storm

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Reading the other thread on season tickets holders being notified their seats will be gone, think it was said there that they'll get first dibs on new seats before others get to choose theirs.

I mean it's terrible for the people that are losing theirs but I've been to 2 Saints games in my life and I always sit lower level anyway.

JPSaints87

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Have they figure out a new name for the Superdome yet? If Im not mistaken, I believe we ended our relationship w/ Mercedes Benz, at the end of the 2020 season, am I correct?

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Have they figure out a new name for the Superdome yet? If Im not mistaken, I believe we ended our relationship w/ Mercedes Benz, at the end of the 2020 season, am I correct?
They hired a company to handle it. It hasnt been handled yet.

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Gayle could fund it herself if she wants too.

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I would love for someone one day to explain (1) how the difference between the benefits of a new stadium and those of the Superdome would justify the new stadium cost of, say, two billion dollars; and (2) where the financing for a new stadium will come from.

Cajun Chat

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Report: 4,300 Seats Eliminated in Mercedes-Benz Superdome, Saints Season-Ticket Holders Affected
Renovations and the new "fan experience" will cut down on the number of seats inside of the Superdome.

I got the call yesterday. Disheartening. They couldn't promise me a seat only to say they are working on it. These are family tickets that I waited a lifetime to buy. The day we signed Drew Brees is the day I bought my tickets. They are shared by my entire family. I hope that I am able to continue to be in that number.

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I would love for someone one day to explain (1) how the difference between the benefits of a new stadium and those of the Superdome would justify the new stadium cost of, say, two billion dollars; and (2) where the financing for a new stadium will come from.
Well the benefit I see right now is we wouldn’t be kicking people out of their seats every time we do an upgrade. This upgrade alone is costing 1/3 of what the new Falcons stadium cost. Add in the costs of the scoreboard, press box, bunker club etc and I wonder how close we could be to having a new stadium with cup holders and legroom and urinals. It just feels like instead of buying a new car we just keep fixing the old one and it ends up costing just as much as the new one.

Tpstr

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Plus, the potential of PSLs. The new stadium could be configured differently moving STHs to other sections/sightlines they did not have previously or could have less seats/more suites leading to some STHs losing their seats.
This. My grandfather was a Tulane Stadium original. He walked away when the combination of his 35 yard line seats were “moved” to Poydras Street & became 15 yard line top of the Dome seats and the yearly miserable product he was paying more $ to see in 1975.

In some ways, mgmt is betting the house they’ll continue to have quality on field product after the renovation. If they don’t come through, it will be interesting to see who stays for bad games at higher prices. The STHs have had a year of watching from sofas, it’s not that hard to see a mindset change.

On the flip side, gate $ is chicken feed compared to TV $ (ask Cincinnati STHs about that). Mgmt just may not care what we think.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I understand the long term potential economic benefit to continuing to modernize... but wow that's a lot of money they'll lose in the short term on tickets alone.
They're not going to lose anything.

4300 $75 seats is nothing compared to the $1200 seats they're replacing them with. The box seats on 3 and 400 level are 1200 or so per seat per game. The ones at field level are more.

The money they make catering one of those boxes per week is enough to eat 20 of the seats they're losing.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
It's terrible that this is happening. I do understand that we can't afford it, but I believe we can only get by with this for so long.
I love the Dome, and we're clearly use to it. But I dislike that season ticket holders have to be impacted because we can't build a new stadium.
With the addition of the suites, they are forcing us to move our seats away from the field, which will take some time to get use to.
You think season ticket holders won't be impacted by the construction of a new stadium?

What are the Cons of a new stadium for Season Ticket Holders besides a price increase??
Why do you feel that a price increase isn't a significant enough reason to affect season ticket holders?

There will never been a new stadium, folks. The closest you will ever see will be a hitting of the Superdome, which is actually two separate structures. There is the shell, that stands on its own. Then there is the stadium inside the shell that can be torn down and filled with whatever you wish.

You have a better chance of tearing down Wrigley Field and moving the Cubs to a new stadium in Joilet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom