Report: Eagles Will Release CB Nnamdi Asomugha (1 Viewer)

I'd imagine they'd try to shop him before trading him. Perhaps a team out there needing to get to the salary floor would be willing to give up a mid to late pick for him.

Oh yeah i suppose i'll hear all the talk about zone vs man D, press d and blalalah. Right? I only watched games (about 6 if i recall correctly) and with him playing mainly on man D he was getting burnt on a frequent basis. Based on that, i say yes, no more than the vet min 1. because he's old and declining 2. because we don't have cap space as it is.

Bring me solid data about him being misused and that he'll be such a shutdown corner because of a different scheme and because ryan is here and i'll be willing to listen.

Until then, everyone is entitled to his own opinion, and i'm not saying "whoever does want asomugha on the team must not understand **** about how defenses work", so you can shove your arrogance up your ***, thank you ever so much.

Oh yeah
So perhaps you're right, maybe 1.5 mln instead than the vet min. Uh-huh.
Like who? I'm curious, post link please

Simple data. His best years were when Rob Ryan was his coach. The arrogance is you thinking he has lost "more than one step" because of a couple of plays you watched last season where you thought the coverage was man 2 man. I can easily point out cases IN PHILLY where man 2 man he was good. here is an example:

Asante Samuel vs. Nnamdi Asomugha: Eagles pick right guy? - NFL.com

Asomugha has earned a reputation as one of the NFL's premier press corners. At 6-foot-2, 210 pounds, he smothers receivers at the line. Asomugha destroys the timing of routes by quick-jamming receivers following the snap, before jumping into a trail position that allows him to undercut short routes. The combination of physicality and superb hip-pocket positioning makes Asomugha difficult to elude, and quarterbacks are forced to make precise throws to complete passes in his direction.

Asomugha puts his imposing technique on full display in the following play from the Eagles' Week 10 matchup with the Arizona Cardinals. He is aligned at the bottom of the screen against Andre Roberts in press coverage:

09000d5d82ac6b5f.jpeg

Asomugha gets a good jam on Roberts and forces him closer to the sideline, shrinking the room for the quarterback to hit his intended receiver:

09000d5d82ac774f.jpeg

With Asomugha in terrific hip-pocket position, an underthrown ball results in an easy interception.

Asomugha spent his first eight years playing in an aggressive bump-and-run system with the Oakland Raiders, so he has little experience with zone concepts. He has proven to be a quick study in Philadelphia, but part of his struggles as an Eagle were due to his unfamiliarity with some of the intricacies of zone coverage and technique. From pattern recognition to backpedaling in space, Asomugha's acclimation to a new style of play prevented him from performing up to his potential. Although he made strides over the course of the season, Asomugha remains raw and unpolished in this aspect of his game.

hear me out. send harper, smith and ingram along with a 3rd in next years draft for revis. then sign ed reed or charles woodson. for our safety. and draft either keke mingo or jarvis jones in the first. with harper, smith and ingram on the move it might be a possibility to get both if the price is right.

Were hearing you but here's the thing. Our last name is not loomis, nor do work for the saints. This ain't maddened, and get off the pipe.:9:

Are you joking? The jets will take 3 players that many saints fans constantly bash and say are overrated/paid for Revis? It's OK though we are throwing in a 3rd rounder, in next years draft.

Not saying that the proposed trade would ever happen, but Harper, Smith, and Ingram is better than any player at that position on the Jets (and that's not saying much).

Nnamdi was shutting Calvin Johnson last year when they had him on an Island..For some reason the d coach changed the scheme after the 3rd qrt and Johnson picked them apart

hear me out. send harper, smith and ingram along with a 3rd in next years draft for revis. then sign ed reed or charles woodson. for our safety. and draft either keke mingo or jarvis jones in the first. with harper, smith and ingram on the move it might be a possibility to get both if the price is right.

I gave you a thumbs up for proposing to trade 3 players who actually have contracts! :9:

Being realistic, what kind of contract do you think Nmandi gets on the open market? I still think someone will pay him more than we can afford, but I think it's a no-brainer that we should put in an offer.

Being realistic, what kind of contract do you think Nmandi gets on the open market? I still think someone will pay him more than we can afford, but I think it's a no-brainer that we should put in an offer.

The only thing I am truly worried about with Namdi is his age. I would offer him a deal of 3 years. The only thing that will really matter with his contract is the guaranteed money.

Lets not forget Nnamdi Asomugha some his best years, was under Rob Ryan as his DC:9:

That was also a younger Nmandi too, he will be turning 32 in July so age will have to be a consideration. He has lost a step but still has value and would bring in experience and leadership. Im ok with bringing him in but nothing more than a 2 year deal which is what he will more than likely have left in the tank.

I would say that Asomugha's value dropped significantly because of the Philly deal... I'm just speculating, but couldn't the saints offer him something close to the deal that the Redskins made with Deangelo Hall after he left Oakland. I just looked it up and it was somehting like 23 Mil over 5 years guaranteed, with a maximum value of 55 Mil.

I would say that Asomugha's value dropped significantly because of the Philly deal... I'm just speculating, but couldn't the saints offer him something close to the deal that the Redskins made with Deangelo Hall after he left Oakland. I just looked it up and it was somehting like 23 Mil over 5 years guaranteed, with a maximum value of 55 Mil.

JMO, but that is too long of a contract and too much guarenteed money for a 32 year old. That's a cap hit of 4.6mil per year correct?

JMO, but that is too long of a contract and too much guarenteed money for a 32 year old. That's a cap hit of 4.6mil per year correct?

yes, but those contracts are back loaded and he would never see the last two years of it so the key would be how much guaranteed money it would take. The hit would not be 4.6 for the first few years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom