Report: 'Everything Lining Up' for Broncos to Hire Sean Payton (1 Viewer)

Right, if we don't get compensation this year from Payton leaving AND we have DA coaching next season, we will definitely have a very high 1st the following year locked up.... guaranteed.
Part of me wants to maximize his value and get something for him this season but part of me is saying to heck with it, play hardball. If he wants to coach this year then his new team has to meet our demands. If not then oh well, he can go back to TV. I don't think he wants to sit on the sidelines talking about football for another year instead of actually coaching football. I know Loomis has to do what is best for the team and all but at the same time I'd like to see him get petty with it.

If we had a different coach and a better salary cap situation it would be different. But is a late 1st round pick this year going to make a lick of difference at this point? Probably not. To me this draft and next season are just things we have to get through in order to reach 2024. That's when hope can possibly return.

He said “as Jeff Duncan reported…” and then said people close to Payton insist it is, indeed, possible. Seemed pretty obvious that it was independent confirmation to me.

And this is how I phrased it above.

“I think he wants to coach again. He would have evaluated the Saints opening (if they had one) at the same level as the others. And it would have likely checked more boxes than the other current openings.”

I also made it clear I don’t believe it was as simple as him calling Loomis and asking to come back and being told “no.”

Understood. I had initially replied to a discussion you were having with somebody else and to one of your posts that included this:

"He’s letting it be know through the media that he’d be open to coming back. But the Saints aren’t reciprocating, for whatever reason."

I understand that is your opinion and my opinion is that there isn't enough to support that idea. The "whatever reason" could be as simple as Payton doesn't actually want to come back and Loomis already knows he doesn't want to come back.

It's speculation based on unnamed sources, and even then, we have to assume the motives behind it. For instance, would Payton really be interested in coming back or is this out there for some other reason?

While I understand your interpretation of the Rapoport comments, when we already don't have facts to work with, I can also become skeptical about the WAY information is expressed. It doesn't take much to phrase things in a way to maintain some plausible deniability about what was reported.

Understood. I had initially replied to a discussion you were having with somebody else and to one of your posts that included this:

"He’s letting it he know through the media that he’d be open to coming back. But the Saints aren’t reciprocating, for whatever reason."

I understand that is your opinion and my opinion is that there isn't enough to support that idea. The "whatever reason" could be as simple as Payton doesn't actually want to come back and Loomis already knows he doesn't want to come back.

It's speculation based on unnamed sources., and even then, we have to assume the motives behind it. For instance, would Payton really be interested in coming back or is this out there for some other reason?

While I understand your interpretation of the Rapoport comments, when we already don't have facts to work with, I can also become skeptical about the WAY information is expressed. It doesn't take much to phrase things in a way to maintain some plausible deniability about what was reported.
Right. My exact words as you posted them :

He’s letting it he know through the media that he’d be open to coming back

“Letting it be known through the media.”

I’m not really sure how that’s debatable? Unless you think everyone is just making it up.

And I don’t think it’s a stretch that Rapaport would independently confirm something before going with it on the air with that phrasing. He works for the NFL’s media wing.

Right. My exact words as you posted them :

“Letting it be known through the media.”

I’m not really sure how that’s debatable? Unless you think everyone is just making it up.

I'm speaking more to the idea that Payton wants to come back but the team doesn't want him, and I'm not sure how that isn't clear.

I have no idea what Payton does or doesn't want to do, which is the point. The smattering of reports don't make it clear that the speculation wasn't incubated from the same source, nor who that source might be.

I'm speaking more to the idea that Payton wants to come back but the team doesn't want him, and I'm not sure how that isn't clear.

I have no idea what Payton does or doesn't want to do, which is the point. The smattering of reports don't make it clear that the speculation wasn't incubated from the same source, nor who that source might be.
That’s fine if you don’t believe the reports. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The idea that “the team doesn’t want him” is just as much about us already having a coach and not pushing him out the door at the first leak that SP is open to coming back. Not sure how that’s debatable. The report came out. Loomis even chatted with Duncan about it directly and laughed about it. And DA wasn’t fired.

I tend to believe the people who are more plugged in and talk to the actual sources. Nothing is 100% because people’s feelings change and Payton certainly has a history of going back and forth. But I’ll take solid reporting from people who have been in the business for decades over anything else.

They don't want him back trust me.
He tried to go behind the organization and team up with Brady twice.
Once by not giving DB time to fully retire time 1
An the other previously with teaming up in MiamSap.

We left superbowl trophies on the table by honoring Drew Brees decision to come back.

SP and TB have been enamored with each other for years now... and anyone that can't see that is just a sap.

And I don’t think it’s a stretch that Rapaport would independently confirm something before going with it on the air with that phrasing. He works for the NFL’s media wing.

And to be clear, I'm not saying I think he definitely didn't independently verify it, only that it was unclear, on top of information that can't be verified.

In a discussion about Payton wanting to come back, when looking to what Rapoport said, it has to be noted that he opened his comments by saying that based on conversations he's had, Payton prefers to stay in Los Angeles. That's an important caveat to everything that comes after.

Could New Orleans be somewhere on Payton's list of places to return? Sure, as much as any of us know, why not. Possibilities can be numerous when supported by speculation.

But I’ll take solid reporting from people who have been in the business for decades over anything else.

I don't think we differ in that concept, but rather our ideas about what constitutes "solid reporting" on the topic of Payton returning to New Orleans. Nobody has reported anything compelling, that I've seen.

I'd love for it to be true that Payton wants to return.

I don't think we differ in that concept, but rather our ideas about what constitutes "solid reporting" on the topic of Payton returning to New Orleans. Nobody has reported anything compelling, that I've seen.

I'd love for it to be true that Payton wants to return.
That he’d be open to it? You don’t think any of the reports that he was open to it back in December were believable?

That he’d be open to it? You don’t think any of the reports that he was open to it back in December were believable?

I think we are talking past each other.

I've addressed the possibility of it - possibilities are numerous, especially when grounded in anonymous sources and speculation.

I'm questioning whether the reports ultimately rely on the same or different sources, as well as speculation leading to the idea that Payton wants to return to the Saints but the team won't take him back. It could turn out that Payton wants to be nowhere else more than New Orleans but Benson doesn't want him to return. I don't think that's the case, I'm just making it clear, I hope, that I'm not pretending to know exactly what is going on behind the scenes, but that hasn't been my intention, anyway. I'm expressing my uncertainty, and disagreeing with you about the apparent veracity of the reports.

You see it differently and I respect that.

After the Carmichael news, I’ve completely changed my mind and want future picks.

Everything about this season needs to be about tanking and building an asset chest for the next coach. DA is completely clueless.
I think we will be tanking inadvertently, no matter what. 😂

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom