Report: 'Everything Lining Up' for Broncos to Hire Sean Payton (1 Viewer)

Thanks, didn't know that.
Ask for proof that players can't be included. I've searched and see nothing that says players can't be included, though it's never happened. I've found more discussion that players can be included, but the rules make it difficult. For example, the trade deadline was Nov 1, 2022 for this season, so no more player trades until March 2023 when it opens again for the 2023 NFL season. And no team is going to wait until then to get a head coach. Players can be cut, but they have to pass through waivers, so it's not a fool-proof method to use to try and include players. And then there's the cap implications for both teams. Based on what I've read, I'm leaning to the side that players can be included, but that it's very complicated and so that's why it hasn't happened. But I would love to know what's true.

Okay so now it's the Broncos or back to TV. What is going on here? Over the past several weeks I've seen the following:

SP is considering staying in TV

SP is a lock to the Chargers

SP coming back to the Saints is the worst kept secret in the NFL

SP wants to come back to the Saints but the Saints don't want him back

The Saints expect to receive a package consisting of at least two first round picks

Loomis told SP that they are expecting a mid to low first round pick

SP is going to Houston

The Panthers are in the lead

SP to Denver is a lock

SP is either going to Denver or doing TV for another year

Where is all of this coming from? Are the media monkeys just pulling stuff out of their behinds and throwing it against the wall? Is SP spreading all these rumors for attention and to keep his name in the news? Whatever it is I'm just done. I can't even with this anymore. Just pick a team in the AFC and live your life SP.

I appreciate all you did for the team I root for but you pointed the ship directly at an iceberg and then took off on a private helicopter just before impact. I'm sure in time I will only remember the good times. You fist pumping with the Lombardi trophy. You signaling first down with your crutches. That pep talk you gave Hartley right before the game winning kick in the NFC Championship. The Juicy Fruit. The Goodell Clown shirt. But right now I just need time. It's not me it's you.

Ask for proof that players can't be included. I've searched and see nothing that says players can't be included, though it's never happened. I've found more discussion that players can be included, but the rules make it difficult. For example, the trade deadline was Nov 1, 2022 for this season, so no more player trades until March 2023 when it opens again for the 2023 NFL season. And no team is going to wait until then to get a head coach. Players can be cut, but they have to pass through waivers, so it's not a fool-proof method to use to try and include players. And then there's the cap implications for both teams. Based on what I've read, I'm leaning to the side that players can be included, but that it's very complicated and so that's why it hasn't happened. But I would love to know what's true.

Well, we know you can trade a coach for picks. And you can turn around and trade those same picks back for players. So seems like a technicality at worst.

Baseball does something similar all the time with the ol "player to be named later." The teams have a deal in place that technically breaks the rules, but they have an understanding that a transaction will happen later when allowed.

Putting out that he’ll go back to broadcasting if the saints don’t play ball. Call his bluff, stay firm on compensation, let him go back to broadcasting. One 1st round pick is useless with DA anyway, by next season draft the 1st pick missed will be a faint memory and Payton will still be out of coaching.

We’re keeping DA because Payton quit and left. They offered him a sabbatical and he said no.

He’s letting it he know through the media that he’d be open to coming back. But the Saints aren’t reciprocating, for whatever reason.

You have a confidence in those reports that I don't. Not saying you're wrong, but I just can't take this as fact without some confirmation.

It *might* be true that Payton is, or was, willing to come back, and it *might* be true that the team doesn't want him back, but the accuracy of that is undetermined.

You have a confidence in those reports that I don't. Not saying you're wrong, but I just can't take this as fact without some confirmation.

It *might* be true that Payton is, or was, willing to come back, and it *might* be true that the team doesn't want him back, but the accuracy of that is undetermined.
All we really know right now is that we really know nothing.

Putting out that he’ll go back to broadcasting if the saints don’t play ball. Call his bluff, stay firm on compensation, let him go back to broadcasting. One 1st round pick is useless with DA anyway, by next season draft the 1st pick missed will be a faint memory and Payton will still be out of coaching.

Right, if we don't get compensation this year from Payton leaving AND we have DA coaching next season, we will definitely have a very high 1st the following year locked up.... guaranteed.

I get that perspective. It’s more that it’s the most reliable info that’s out there and coming from multiple people independently.

Personally? I don’t think it’s as simple as Sean wanted his job back and Loomis said “no.”

I think he wants to coach again. He would have evaluated the Saints opening (if they had one) at the same level as the others. And it would have likely checked more boxes than the other current openings. And he knows they would have given him free rein to get the QB he wanted.

But..we don’t have an opening. And it also sounds like some people within the organization (maybe even some players?) have grown tired of the whole thing and want to move forward without the cloud hanging over them.

I wouldn't like it , if true, but I would come to terms with it.

I rather get something than have him sit another year and the Saints lose out on everything.

Especially with the Rooney Rule hanging over all these teams, got to wait on that BS to appease the punisher Goodell .

If true, at least he would be in the AFC
Isn't the Rooney rule pre-goodell?

I get that perspective. It’s more that it’s the most reliable info that’s out there and coming from multiple people independently.

Personally? I don’t think it’s as simple as Sean wanted his job back and Loomis said “no.”

I think he wants to coach again. He would have evaluated the Saints opening (if they had one) at the same level as the others. And it would have likely checked more boxes than the other current openings. And he knows they would have given him free rein to get the QB he wanted.

But..we don’t have an opening. And it also sounds like some people within the organization (maybe even some players?) have grown tired of the whole thing and want to move forward without the cloud hanging over them.

What has been reported about a Payton return that seems reliable? I'm sincere in asking that as I might have missed something more credible along the way.

Jeff Duncan wrote in his early December wishful-thinking column that Payton would be the right person to replace Allen and buried at the bottom was a quote by an unnamed source that Payton returning to the Saints was possible "if things went sideways" for the Saints. Not sure how that reads as much more than somebody (possibly) keeping options open.

Sometime after that, Duncan tweeted (I've only seen the screenshot) paraphrasing: The Saints could have Payton back if they were willing to do what it takes but they aren't. Vague. Something credible or an opinion? Based on what? The Saints could bring Parcells out of retirement if they were willing to do what it takes. Somebody prove me wrong.

Florio wrote a highly speculative piece calling a return to the Saints the "worst-kept secret" according to an unnamed source "with a finger firmly on the pulse of pro football." How do we know that's not Duncan? Even so, there is nothing offered that establishes any credibility about this source.

I know there have been other mentions here and there but I don't remember anything that made me take notice of the possibility as a likely scenario, as great as that would be to believe. At one point, I found myself wanting to believe. Stepping back, I see content meant to generate buzz and clicks.

If I missed something, or if I'm not remembering something, I welcome the chance to consider that. I just don't recall anything that stood out to me as more than self-perpetuating speculation.

Payton hasn't said anything publicly about it and as far as I know, nobody has credited him as a source, or anybody affiliated with him by name, or the team, so to me, I just don't see any meat on the bone.

What has been reported about a Payton return that seems reliable? I'm sincere in asking that as I might have missed something more credible along the way.

Jeff Duncan wrote in his early December wishful-thinking column that Payton would be the right person to replace Allen and buried at the bottom was a quote by an unnamed source that Payton returning to the Saints was possible "if things went sideways" for the Saints. Not sure how that reads as much more than somebody (possibly) keeping options open.

Sometime after that, Duncan tweeted (I've only seen the screenshot) paraphrasing: The Saints could have Payton back if they were willing to do what it takes but they aren't. Vague. Something credible or an opinion? Based on what? The Saints could bring Parcells out of retirement if they were willing to do what it takes. Somebody prove me wrong.

Florio wrote a highly speculative piece calling a return to the Saints the "worst-kept secret" according to unnamed source "with a finger firmly on the pulse of pro football." How do we know that's not Duncan?

I know there have been other mentions here and there but I don't remember anything that made me take notice that seemed like a likely scenario, as great as that would be to believe. At one point, I found myself wanting to believe. Stepping back, I see content meant to generate buzz and clicks.

If I missed something, or if I'm not remembering something, I welcome the chance to consider that. I just don't recall anything that stood out to me as more than self-perpetuating speculation.

Payton hasn't said anything publicly about it and as far as I know, nobody has credited him as a source, or anybody affiliated with him by name, or the team, so to me, I just don't see any meat on the bone.
Here’s one. Rapoport reached out to Payton sources on the heels of the Duncan report and confirmed it independently. There was one more from Rapoport I posted in a thread back when it happened. I’ll try to find that, too.

Here’s one. Rapoport reached out to Payton sources on the heels of the Duncan report and confirmed it independently. There was one more from Rapoport I posted in a thread back when it happened. I’ll try to find that, too.

He led by saying Payton's "druthers" were to remain in Los Angeles.

I remember seeing this Rapoport clip but it isn't clear to me if the claim from the Payton camp was something he was attributing with his citation of Duncan, or something he independently verified. Rapoport doesn't say he reached out, just that "those close to Payton insist" it's a possibility. Was he taking Duncan's word for that or did he inquire? I think it's uncertain enough to be left to interpretation. Either way, it's still unnamed sources and Duncan is still credited as the source of the report.

That still doesn't get us to the idea Payton wants to come back but the team won't have him.

He led by saying Payton's "druthers" were to remain in Los Angeles.
I remember seeing this Rapoport clip but it isn't clear to me if the claim from the Payton camp was something he was attributing with his citation of Duncan, or something he independently verified. Rapoport doesn't say he reached out, just that "those close to Payton insist" it's a possibility. Was he taking Duncan's word for that or did he inquire? I think it's uncertain enough to be left to interpretation. Either way, it's still unnamed sources and Duncan is still credited as the source of the report.

That still doesn't get us to the idea Payton wants to come back but the team won't have him.
He said “as Jeff Duncan reported…” and then said people close to Payton insist it is, indeed, possible. Seemed pretty obvious that it was independent confirmation to me.

And this is how I phrased it above.

“I think he wants to coach again. He would have evaluated the Saints opening (if they had one) at the same level as the others. And it would have likely checked more boxes than the other current openings.”

I also made it clear I don’t believe it was as simple as him calling Loomis and asking to come back and being told “no.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom