Report: Former LSU coach Les Miles was subject of sexual harassment probe in 2013 (1 Viewer)

Hopefully people will come forward to speak their truth. LSU clearly isn't taking this seriously, so it needs to be blown up.
Did LSU think with all the heat that the University of Michigan has had on it recently that they could skate under the radar? As you said, it's basic human decency. The real humans who are these coaches, advisors, officials, etc. speak about caring for students but their actions demonstrate a complete lack of empathy. It's disgusting.

And here we are, smack in the middle of the ugly side of big business that is college football. Should we really be surprised? A university that has many tight-knit groups, many whom have deep pockets, shielded a coach who was paid multiple, multi-million dollar contracts and also looked the other way when high profile players were inolved in scandals involving female students? I wonder about all the stories at other high profile power five conferences we don't know about. What makes this worse is all these universities love to be at the forefront on some popular social issue that gets into the news and they love to talk about how we all need to be better whilst employing scumbags that go out of their way to cover up claims of sexual assault/harassment and rape.

These universities need to shut it, no more performative, feel good, crap, no more statements, fix your own house. I believe this stuff is way more common than we think, those other universities just haven't been caught yet.

Don’t think this just happens at LSU this is going on across the nation at many colleges.

Doesn’t make it right
No it doesn’t and I never meant that. To me ANY kind of abuse weather towards women or men is wrong. My sons are pretty big and strong so I think they can defend themselves pretty well. My daughter on the other hand is #1 very small and #2 pregnant with my grandson. If you laid a hand on her I know the backroads and country areas where coonhounds won’t track. You would disappear Dexter style and no one would ever have a clue where you were or how you died.

The real humans who are these coaches, advisors, officials, etc. speak about caring for students but their actions demonstrate a complete lack of empathy. It's disgusting.
I'm embarrassed by and disappointed in LSU Athletics and the entire administration. That said, you have pretty much described most college athletics departments. It's a big business, and coaches use student athletes all the time and then think nothing about jumping ship for a better opportunity. I also think various kinds of cheating are rampant in college athletics. I think student athletes should be paid a salary and treated like valued employees (and I know they get scholarships, but, especially in the big college sports, that amounts to a pittance of the revenue they generate for their schools), and this might mitigate some of the worst behavior. Or else just do away with college sports and create lower level professional leagues for developing top athletes, pretty much like the situation in Europe.

Well, this is not looking good... and being sued by a current employee at that.

The suit:

I am so very disheartened by the continual information coming to light.

The one place where you thought you could go to report and get some form of justice/ action, was broken.

As the father of a 17 year old young woman, looking at colleges, ( we were there just this past Tuesday for a formal tour with her - and she loved it ) this makes me think twice about LSU. Im going to need some REAL verification that they are indeed taking ALL of this seriously and implementing some massive measures to protect their students. Its probably a 1 in a 1,000,000 chance that something egregious happens to my child, but i can assure you, if it did, and LSU did nothing in order to "hide" it, i would channel the Denzel Washington character in Man on Fire.

I can live with the whole "machismo" and explain that to her and how it is when you are surrounded by high levels of testosterone. But the whole assault allegations i simply cant get past. I cant imagine what it must have been like for the young women and their families to have to endure the inaction of a flagship University located in the Capitol of our State.

This should be on the EE board, not the college board. This is simply too big to not be discussed ina larger, open forum.

I am so very disheartened by the continual information coming to light.

The one place where you thought you could go to report and get some form of justice/ action, was broken.

As the father of a 17 year old young woman, looking at colleges, ( we were there just this past Tuesday for a formal tour with her - and she loved it ) this makes me think twice about LSU. Im going to need some REAL verification that they are indeed taking ALL of this seriously and implementing some massive measures to protect their students. Its probably a 1 in a 1,000,000 chance that something egregious happens to my child, but i can assure you, if it did, and LSU did nothing in order to "hide" it, i would channel the Denzel Washington character in Man on Fire.

I can live with the whole "machismo" and explain that to her and how it is when you are surrounded by high levels of testosterone. But the whole assault allegations i simply cant get past. I cant imagine what it must have been like for the young women and their families to have to endure the inaction of a flagship University located in the Capitol of our State.
Not to deflect form the issues at LSU, but this is a problem everywhere. At LSU specifically, I read there were 46 cases reported, but you'll find that only 7-8 of them were athletes. Frats are probably a bigger issue. A few years back when my daughter was considering schools, we dug into a lot of this. No school wants to be the school with a bunch of sexual assaults recorded, so they all hide them or fail to report them correctly for the obvious reasons. College campuses are ripe with stupid boys who think they can get away with poor behavior. Anyone who has done any research on the matter understands why they feel this way.

Our resolution was to educate our daughter on what to watch for and how to avoid bad situations. We have been pretty fortunate this far, although there have been some possible near misses. She keeps pepper spray on her person at all times, parks in well lit areas and won't go to her car without someone else. Often she'll call one of us and talk to us when she's in a potentially compromising situation. Sucks that this is the behavior she has to take, but whatever keeps her from being assaulted or worse...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom