Report: NFL eyeing June return for full-team Minicamps (1 Viewer)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Good news for the NFL.

Not sure if Payton regrets cancelling all minicamps now. Hopefully it doesn’t bite us.

Far from regretting it, I think that Payton is enjoying the fact that the Saints coaches and players are not being distracted by what the NFL is "eyeing."

We are entering the offseason of unknowns. Unknowns are distracting. Payton has eliminated a lot of those distractions. That will help the team more in the long run than catching an extra practice or two in June or July.

I don't think he'll regret it. And it's not like he can't change his mind too if he thinks it's safe for the team to hold full squad activities. I think not having mini camp won't be that big of a deal really. Isn't mini camp mostly fitness drills and stuff like that with a little technique teaching but little to no real football action?

Veteran team. These camps won’t make or break the team. These camps are probably more important for bubble players, young developing player, and rookies. I think it’s a nonissue.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a rookie minicamp like they do after the draft each year. Do some physical testing and walkthroughs. See what these guys know and how good of shape they are staying in.

What would be beyond stupid(but also sadly predictable) is if minicamps cause an outbreak among players and shuts down the whole season

I think the only way a minicamp(s) happens at this point is that it only involves immediate coaches (HC, OC, DC) and players who tested negative to COVID/etc a certain number of days prior to it. It'd be too risky otherwise, but as you said, it'd be predictable for the NFL to go out and do it anyways.

I mean... It didn't help us with our slow season starts the last 7 years . So, I don't really care. Let the players worry about their family. Let the Bucs do something stupid and watch them accumulate a bunch of soft tissue injuries by trying to get the jump on us.

What would be beyond stupid(but also sadly predictable) is if minicamps cause an outbreak among players and shuts down the whole season
To heck with the risks, there's too much money on the table to lose( players are starting come up short and billionaires don't want to lose a dime). They're going to find a way to get something going. ;)

I mean... It didn't help us with our slow season starts the last 7 years . So, I don't really care. Let the players worry about their family. Let the Bucs do something stupid and watch them accumulate a bunch of soft tissue injuries by trying to get the jump on us.
Pretty sure snake oil will be readily available in Tompa Bay, i mean Tampa Bay now

I think the only way a minicamp(s) happens at this point is that it only involves immediate coaches (HC, OC, DC) and players who tested negative to COVID/etc a certain number of days prior to it. It'd be too risky otherwise, but as you said, it'd be predictable for the NFL to go out and do it anyways.

Why, dagnabbit, I remember back in the day when one kid got a disease, they'd bring in all of the kids to get it, too...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom