Report: NFL proposed a potential 35% pay cut for players to offset losses from coronavirus pandemic. CGM Already Responds (1 Viewer)

the players arent living paycheck to paycheck either, even at the bottom of the roster

The owners don't put their physical well being on the line with a career that averages about 4 years and a very real chance that the damage is permanent....for the life of me I can't understand why folks think the owners should be incapable of sacrifice for the good of the game....

If they practice fewer hours, spend less time in meetings, play fewer preseason games, and/or fewer regular season games, their salaries should be reduced pro rata.

So what happens when there are no games this year and the league’s total revenue is comprised solely from merchandise sales. Is the salary cap $5 million a team next year since the salary cap is based on this years’ revenue?
And again, the proposal by the owners has not stated a guaranteed cut in salary. The money goes into escrow in the event of revenue loss.
But why? If you're an employee anywhere and your boss says you need to work this year, but because next year *might* have revenue loss, they're going to keep 35% of your current salary in their bank account? So you work under your current contract/salary but only get to keep 65% of it despite working the same?

I get it if games are cancelled this year, then the player doesn't get paid for that missed game. But if the games do get played and the players are still only making 65% of their pay? That's messed up.

If no games are played, the salaries don't get paid this year, which would help with potential revenue loss from next year.

The "escrow" idea is stupid.

If they practice fewer hours, spend less time in meetings, play fewer preseason games, and/or fewer regular season games, their salaries should be reduced pro rata.
Players are not really paid for meetings and practice and preseason games.

Regular season games, I agree. The rest, the "salary" they get for those is minuscule compared to their regular salaries. I think most clubs only pay a per diem during training camp -- like $1,000-$1,500 a week. If a player gets cut during training camp, they leave with almost nothing of their salaried contract.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: A Bonus!?!?!? I work in a hospital with DIRECT contact with COVID patients. If anyone deserves a bonus it would be hospital personnel not guys playing a sports already making millions. :::HUGE EYEROLL:::
This! Essential workers like myself have been working non stop (working 90plus hours a week) and I haven’t gotten any bonus or hazard pay. This is ridiculous.

Once the NBA has an outbreak and teams start having more players test positive this will all quiet down. I’m still not sure we we tee it up at all this year. Major conferences in CFB have scaled back and dropped non-conference game. All this could become a moot point

Once the NBA has an outbreak and teams start having more players test positive this will all quiet down. I’m still not sure we we tee it up at this year. Major conferences in CFB have scaled back and dropped non-conferences.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom