REPORT: Pats [allegedly] filmed Rams walk-through at SB XXVI (1 Viewer)

No, it's not "just" that the Pats were caught. This is such a porous argument. :lol::covri:

I guess what really rubs me the wrong way about this is that to my knowledge they never apologized for what they did, nor did they deny it. They just proceeded on with a "so what, we got caught" attitude, with no real remorse.

As far as the Hollis Thomas incident, while I felt that it was unfair if he was indeed being punished for taking a drug that was needed for his asthma, I also have to agree that if he was caught and found guilty, then the suspension was warranted. It was appealed, and he lost, so he had to serve his time, rightfully so. LSU...I can't speak on the grade scandal issue, since I didn't follow that story; sorry. I'm sure everyone "cheats" in various ways such as recruiting, paying college players, steroids, and signal stealing. I don't like it, but it really bugs me when a team is caught, never says they're sorry, and is then lauded by the media for being so wonderful while their transgression is conveniently ignored. Again, I'm sure everyone cheats, but until they are caught and found guilty, then it's all merely assumed, and I can't judge on assumptions. JMO.

i've seen too many ex-players and current reporters say this is the norm for almost every team. So the pats got caught, punish them and move along.

It’s true Primadox, most people hate cheaters, but it depends on why you cheat that makes the difference.

Cheat to win and you may receive a slap on the wrist, but the world will love you and you will be hailed as a champion. Ex: 2007 New England Patriots

Cheat to loose and you will receive the harshest penalties and the world will hate you and you will be deemed worthless. Ex: 1919 Chicago White Sox

I just don't think that they are the only ones doing this.

Thats what I say.

If they weren't don't you think the other teams in the league would be making a bigger deal out of it? Everyone has skeletons in their closet and noone wants to lead the charge only to be proved a hypocrit.

Meh. Every team, on every level, looks for every advantage possible. It isn't right, but it is human nature and with the $$ at stake anything and everything will be done to win. This isn't a new practice by the Patriots either, as Jimmy Johnson has come out and said that most, if not all, teams have done this in the present/past and that signal stealing is common place not matter what the method used. He has admitted to doing so himself.

Also, are there different levels of transgressions that bother you? What about steroid users? What about your feelings regarding the Saints and the fact that Hollis Thomas was caught using performance enhancers during a magical season? You support LSU and yet they paid two professors to settle out of court regarding the recent grades scandal (though of course in doing so they were simply "saving litigation costs" and "admit no wrongdoing"), and Nick Saban was reprimanded for his own recruiting violations. Are these just too minor to matter? Where is the line drawn?

WOW!!! Did you really bring up the Hollis Thomas thing here? It would be wise to read up on the situation before you comment on that. The guy wasn't shooting juice in his butt, so don't make it out to be that please. It's widely known that Hollis Thomas suffers from Asthma, as do I, and anyone can tell you that many asthma mediations contain steroids to help open and relax air passages in the lungs. His medication for a legit illness did contain a "performance enhancer", but it wasn't used as a performance enhancer. Get your facts straight, everyone knows he wasn't cheating, but he was suspended on a technicality.

I just don't think that they are the only ones doing this.

Me either. I don't believe for a second that teams do not try to 'learn' another teams' signals. But do I think they are covertly videotaping it? Or filming during a pre-SuperBowl walkthrough to surreptitiously return to the team hotel via the media bus (allegedly)? [SEE the OP]

No.
Now, my naivete withstanding, it doesn't matter because this issue is about the escalation of the theft to include technology that gave them a big advantage. It's not about LSU, it's not about what the other teams are doing.

WOW!!! Did you really bring up the Hollis Thomas thing here? It would be wise to read up on the situation before you comment on that. The guy wasn't shooting juice in his butt, so don't make it out to be that please. It's widely known that Hollis Thomas suffers from Asthma, as do I, and anyone can tell you that many asthma mediations contain steroids to help open and relax air passages in the lungs. His medication for a legit illness did contain a "performance enhancer", but it wasn't used as a performance enhancer. Get your facts straight, everyone knows he wasn't cheating, but he was suspended on a technicality.

Oh please. I'm well aware of what he was suspended for, but that doesn't mean it isn't on the leagues list of performance enhancers. I've suffered from asthma as well, big deal. Life goes on, but that doesn't give you the excuse to take clenbuterol when it is against the leagues policies. Like it or not, it's cheating and ignorance isn't an excuse.

The excuse that "everyone does it" is the most lame, most tired excuse on the face of the earth. It didn't work on my parents when I tried it, it didn't work for my kids when they tried it on me, no one past the age of 15 should ever expect this excuse to work for anything.

Be an adult, and take responsibility for your actions. The Pats have never done that and that is what bothers people most about them, imo. I have often found that people who use this excuse have no real idea what "everyone" else does, and they don't care. They just want any reason to excuse their own misdeeds.

If the Saints cheated, why didn't it help? :hihi:

The same guys in charge of drafting Joe Campbell, John Shinners, Rick Middleton, Shawn Knight and Alex Molden were in charge of the cheating.

The excuse that "everyone does it" is the most lame, most tired excuse on the face of the earth. It didn't work on my parents when I tried it, it didn't work for my kids when they tried it on me, no one past the age of 15 should ever expect this excuse to work for anything.

Be an adult, and take responsibility for your actions. The Pats have never done that and that is what bothers people most about them, imo. I have often found that people who use this excuse have no real idea what "everyone" else does, and they don't care. They just want any reason to excuse their own misdeeds.

Well said...thank you. That sums up how I feel about this particular situation very well.

I remember how I pulled for the Pats in the Pats/Rams Super Bowl. Everybody was so pleased that they ran out as a team and refused to be introduced individually.

In an article I read today from the New York Times it was stated how serious taping a team's private walk-through is. The Rams throughout the season had the most potent offense in football. Called "The Greatest Show on Turf." Yet in the SB with the Pats, they were held to one field goal in the first half! The Pats were huge underdogs, but won on a Vinatieri field goal. The article stated that most of the new plays the Rams had installed for the SB had to do with red zone offense, and it was there that the Rams faltered the most. As though the Patriots knew in advance what they were going to run.

This is a big deal, folks. If Congress continues its investigation and calls Walsh before it, and he spills the beans, the you-know-what is going to really hit the fan. The Michael Vick incident will pale in comparison.

I guess what really rubs me the wrong way about this is that to my knowledge they never apologized for what they did, nor did they deny it. They just proceeded on with a "so what, we got caught" attitude, with no real remorse.

Belichick apologized himself.
I accept full responsibility for the actions that led to tonight's ruling. Once again, I apologize to the Kraft family and every person directly or indirectly associated with the New England Patriots for the embarrassment, distraction and penalty my mistake caused. I also apologize to Patriots fans and would like to thank them for their support during the past few days and throughout my career.

As the Commissioner acknowledged, our use of sideline video had no impact on the outcome of last week's game. We have never used sideline video to obtain a competitive advantage while the game was in progress.

Part of my job as head coach is to ensure that our football operations are conducted in compliance of the league rules and all accepted interpretations of them. My interpretation of a rule in the Constitution and Bylaws was incorrect.

With tonight's resolution, I will not be offering any further comments on this matter. We are moving on with our preparations for Sunday's game.
"Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players," he said.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80251b7e&template=with-video&confirm=true

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom