Report: Reggie Nearly Benched vs Falcons (1 Viewer)

NFL Network aired a Payton interview yesterday following practice. He just said that he thought maybe someone has their information mixed up, but stopped short of denying it. He said if anything did happen, it's a team matter and would be handled in house.

Exactly right. I was about to post the same thing.

BUSH REPORT DENIED: Saints Coach Sean Payton denied a WWL-TV report that cited sources as saying Bush's role was limited during last week's game against the Falcons as a disciplinary action. According to the report, Bush missed a team meeting and might have been deactivated for the game if not for Stecker's injury.

You'll notice that the article does not actually quote Payton's denial. That is because he neatly stepped around it as RazorSaint said. Not the first time a media source misinterpreted what someone said.

I also heard the interview and saw Payton's reaction. At one point he turned back to the reporter who asked him the question and asked again who lead with the story. You could tell by looking at Payton's face that he was unhappy with the story getting out. I'm not sure what happened, but having actually watched Payton and heard his actual words, rather than relying on a one paragraph blurb, there is no doubt in my mind that something took place. As direct as Payton is, he would have denied it outright if it was a false report. He didn't.

As much as I hate to give any credence at all to PFT... :shrug:

"Jesus in Cleats"??? I live near a bayou and I've never heard that. Anyone else?

Kind of a non-issue for me. Being late to a meeting happens. Consquences for being late should happen. As long as it isn't a pattern for Bush and as long as Payton treats everyone fairly, it's pretty much "whatever".

The Saints can win without any one player. Hopefully that will never be tested in regards to Brees.

With the exception of Brees I think you are right. This is a complete team and missing one player won't stop them. We've seen it a lot this year where if one player is out such as Horn or Colston, everyone else steps up. Like you said though, I don't think I would want to play without Brees, that's why I said he's the exception.

"Jesus in Cleats"??? I live near a bayou and I've never heard that. Anyone else?

Yes, I've heard it. There was a story that came out a few months ago, but I don't remember where, that showed Reggie in a likeness of Jesus, and it referred to him as "Jesus in Cleats". I heard a couple of commentators refer to him that way shortly after the story, but I haven't heard it in a couple of months, so I didn't think it stuck.

I think that if it is true, the sooner the media and fans let it rest, the better. We don't need any dumb distractions like this....Payton put it best: stuff like this is handled in-house. I trust him to handle it, and I'm not going to worry about it.

I agree it should be dropped and never reported by Henderson in the first place. If this were some lousy run team then maybe air it out but it is not. Payton and the way he runs this team gets the benefit of any doubt from me. Henderson should stick to what he does best and that is calling the Saints games....not add weekly color of what may or may not have occurred.

Here's where the "Jesus in cleats" came from:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/01/AR2006070100657.html

NEW ORLEANS Salvation arrived in the rain that night, driving into town past the ghostly husks of abandoned cars, shuttered housing projects and still-darkened office towers. It was exactly eight months to the day that the hurricane roared in from the gulf, and the skies had opened again.

But on this evening, there was rejoicing on the streets of the broken city. Reggie Bush had come to deliver them all.

In LaPlace, Derrius Taylor, who left his house behind in four feet of water, screamed so loud the moment Bush became a Saint that his wife shouted down from upstairs: "Why are you making this noise? It's like you found Jesus!"

Derrius Taylor thought about this.

"We did," he cried. "We just got Jesus in cleats."

Kind of a non-issue for me. Being late to a meeting happens. Consquences for being late should happen. As long as it isn't a pattern for Bush and as long as Payton treats everyone fairly, it's pretty much "whatever".

Agreed. And since this was last week, it's simply old news. Too many positives going on to get bent out of shape about this story.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom