Report: Saints “like” WR Jalen Reagor at No. 24 (1 Viewer)

I wouldn’t be thrilled with it, but if the Saints pick him I’ll hope for the best. I just know they would be passing up a lot of talented options if they go Reagor at 24.

Reagor said he’s spoken the most to the Cowboys and Eagles leading up to the draft so, well, we’ll see.

He’s being compared a lot to Curtis Samuel. A Curtis Samuel type player for a first round pick doesn’t seem too enticing to me. I really hope the Saints go OL, DL, or LB in the first.

They do like Reagor just as they do Brandon Aiyuk. The Saints want to get faster on offense. They really, really like Henry Ruggs and the speed element he brings to the game; suffice it to say, in a perfect world he would fall to them.

Barring Ruggs falling to them, Aiyuk, Jefferson, Reagor, and Mims are names to watch if they take a WR.

I think they value some of the receivers over the linebackers. That does not mean that they don’t like Queen or Murray but from what I gather a receiver could be chosen even if one of the backers is available. I think there are some other LBs they like later too. It would not surprise me to see one of these guys slip a little while a guy like Jordyn Brooks surprises as a first rounder.

I think the Saints are in the quarterback business. If the right guy is there or within range, as I’ve said all along, we will take him. The right guy would be Jordan Love though I think there is a lot of love for Tua Tagovailoa in the building. If either of those guys are there, I am fairly certain QB will be the pick over WR and LB. The only other position I could see them addressing is CB but the grades will be higher on the WRs and LBs and especially the QBs barring an unforeseen drop.

One final nugget on the Saints, and I believe I have mentioned this before—it really would not be a surprise if Larry Warford is traded during draft weekend. I continue to say it is 35-65 but I do not think they are opposed to it. As always, take this all for what it is worth.

Lastly, expect about 4-7 names you have not heard mocked as first rounders to go in round 1. Perhaps the biggest surprise among the names I’ve heard is Marlon Davidson who I don’t think any mock has had.

60minutes, it seems like you are getting a little inside chatter about the draft. Early on your tone was leaning against QB in the first (apologize if I read it wrong, you never stated it) but now your leaning QB in the 1st (if the right one is there). Can you provide any insight into why the change?

I know things change like the wind but would Love hearing the buzz if you can share. Also, is it Tua and Love only in the first? Are there mid-round options?

The thing to keep in mind is just as Love got no help from those around him, Reagor got no help from his QB. He had the lowest percentage of catchable passes thrown to him of any WR in this draft. Now, there are some rough parts to his game. Same with Mims. Two imperfect prospects. But I think the Saints want to add speed and that is part of the equation here. If I were a betting man, I think Aiyuk and Jefferson would go higher.

I heard a draft analyst on the “Locked On Saints” podcast talking about Reagor and Mims... and he made some very interesting points..

He said the same thing about Reagor as you wrote in your post... Said Reagor had trash QBs throughout college and called them “High School QB” level talents. He spoke about how if Reagor has an accurate QB, he would be a deadly weapon. He said he (the analyst) is a Vikings fan, and as a Vikings fan.. he cringes at the thought of Reagor going to the Packers or Saints.
On Mims, he said Mims is the only top tier WR prospect that did not have any, not even 1, WR screen thrown to him all last season. He said Mims had zero “manufactured” touches, and all of his catches and yards came from real downfield routes. He said Mims is underrated and that he believes he’s the real deal.

I haven’t been really high on Reagor or Mims leading up to the draft, but that info got me a little more interested in them.
I’m hoping for the best, and I’ll get behind whoever the Saints select.

Lastly, expect about 4-7 names you have not heard mocked as first rounders to go in round 1. Perhaps the biggest surprise among the names I’ve heard is Marlon Davidson who I don’t think any mock has had.

Rotoworld/NBC has Davidson going to the Patriots at #23 in their mock.

Very interesting. This write-up from nfl.com sheds some light on to why I think Coach Payton may be so interested.

"Reagor is a smooth athlete with blazing speed who has more playmaking talent than receiver skill and play-callers need to account for that when determining how to utilize him. He's electric with the ball in his hands so getting it to him quickly rather than asking him to consistently make plays for himself as a ball-winner could be crucial. When 2019 is balanced against his 2018, the grade and projection begin to climb with a versatile receiver who's able to spice the offensive gumbo."

What do you do when you have a qb whose arm isn't what it used to be? Give him a playmaker who thrives on making plays quickly.

Also not my first choice... but you can see it happening because he "fits" what Sean likes in a secondary receiving option...

Specifically.... He plays like a running back in space once he catches the ball. (which is also why I like Jefferson, just more reasons to like Jefferson IMO)

I still don't see it at 24... but I can see the logic with adding him to the team in this draft.

Smoke. Screen. Maybe.

I have 2 issues with drafting a WR over a LB in the first. #1 I think LB is more of an immediate need. Yes we need WRs but we have other pass catchers in AK and Cook.

#2 A stud LB can help immediately. Walk in the building and start. WRs typically take at least a year to develop. Best case they don’t contribute until the tail end of the season (Certainly we’ve seen Saints receivers bust that trend, but the odds are against them.)

They do like Reagor just as they do Brandon Aiyuk. The Saints want to get faster on offense. They really, really like Henry Ruggs and the speed element he brings to the game; suffice it to say, in a perfect world he would fall to them.

Barring Ruggs falling to them, Aiyuk, Jefferson, Reagor, and Mims are names to watch if they take a WR.

I think they value some of the receivers over the linebackers. That does not mean that they don’t like Queen or Murray but from what I gather a receiver could be chosen even if one of the backers is available. I think there are some other LBs they like later too. It would not surprise me to see one of these guys slip a little while a guy like Jordyn Brooks surprises as a first rounder.

I think the Saints are in the quarterback business. If the right guy is there or within range, as I’ve said all along, we will take him. The right guy would be Jordan Love though I think there is a lot of love for Tua Tagovailoa in the building. If either of those guys are there, I am fairly certain QB will be the pick over WR and LB. The only other position I could see them addressing is CB but the grades will be higher on the WRs and LBs and especially the QBs barring an unforeseen drop.

One final nugget on the Saints, and I believe I have mentioned this before—it really would not be a surprise if Larry Warford is traded during draft weekend. I continue to say it is 35-65 but I do not think they are opposed to it. As always, take this all for what it is worth.

I could easily see Davidson in the late 1st. I have watched him a lot and I think he is worth a late 1st. As far as the QBs, do you think they like Tua or Love enough to trade up say 10 -12 spots or so to get either one?

I have Reagor in my 4th tier of WRs of this draft. It's not that he is bad...it's just that I think that there will be players available to the Saints in that 3rd tier of WRs at #24. If we trade down...sure.

The Saints might not take him but I think he goes in the first round. Early second is his floor but there are a lot of teams who like him.

Teams, including the Saints, want speed and more speed. Guys like Reagor and Ruggs have a lot of it, which makes teams covet them. That speed will get Reagor drafted far earlier than the third round.

He ran a 4.47. That’s decent but nothing special

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom