Report: Saints plan to move Erik McCoy to guard after picking Cesar Ruiz (2 Viewers)

I must be missing something. I thought McCoy played excellent at center. Why not find another guard? Of course, I didn’t think Peat was worth paying what we paid him either, so I admit I must not know much.

Peat is a much better LT, than LG. He’s worth keeping

The guard v center thing really doesn’t matter. Unless a guy has never snapped a ball in a competitive environment there’s not really a hurdle to changing guys around on the interior offensive line.

Cody Whitehair played center as a rookie for the Bears in 2017, they drafted James Daniel to play center and moved Cody Whitehair to guard in 2018, then in 2019 they flipped them back and Daniel played guard. All I see is that right now the Saints are 6 deep when it comes to NFL quality o-linemen, and there’s enough versatility among them that any one guy getting injured doesn’t completely derail the unit.

Saints wanted Murry. Ruiz was in that bubble. Worked the phone, didn’t get what they wanted. Hope for a team that wanted to move up for Love but not fall so far back that they blew up their bubble. Made the pick for Ruiz and now will try to trade Warford for a 3-5 and see what happens.

Nah. Let Warford play out the year. Our depth will be incredible.

I know once the back starts to have issues it's a tough road for a lineman, it did Jahri Evans in after a stellar career...Last year Warford was suffering with his at an older age and playing through pain...this pick makes alot of sense
Warford is only 28, which is very young in OL years. He showed up a little out of shape last year and it showed. I do like the pick though.

the only question left is, how does McCoy feel about it. Was he talked to before? I mean he played well, I hope that he will remain happy with the move.

obviously they didnt Have to talk to him but I hope they did as professional courtesy

He was just on sports talk yesterday or the day before. It didn’t sound like he had plans to move to guard.

Can Peat just move to center. Lol.

The author of that article jumped the gun. According to Payton, no decision has been made as to OL assignments other than Warford will have to compete to retain his spot. Payton also made a point to say we did not draft Cruz as a back-up.

Coach Pete,
"Eric can play any position on the offensive line. Coach Sean likes versatility in his linemen. Eric is extremely talented, very high football IQ, a natural team leader and player who gives it all on every play as well as off the field. He is a student of the game. Eric is a real stud and will be a starter this year. He's tough and plays through minor injuries. This is a freak athlete and an absolute 1st round talent. Some boards had him as high as 15. "

This is real interesting..... Coach Pete said with a big smile on his face like he knew what he was saying, "The full Saints plan for Eric is strong side guard!"

If Coach Pete is right, what does this mean for the future of our O-line.

-----------------------------------------------------------
This was last year the day after the draft

The author of that article jumped the gun. According to Payton, no decision has been made as to OL assignments other than Warford will have to compete to retain his spot. Payton also made a point to say we did not draft Cruz as a back-up.
And also stated, Ruiz will be competing at guard. Zero mention really, of McCoy competing for a OL position at guard. Unless I totally missed Payton’s comment about McCoy, he is not coming off the center position.

The weakness of our line...is still starting for us. And he'll be here a while because of the contract he received. And though I like Ruiz and McCoy...Warford, at least that this very moment, isn't awful. It may take time for the line to gel. McCoy was a VERY good center last year. He was arguably the best rookie interior lineman. That sets the bar high for Ruiz as a replacement.

I have nothing against the Ruiz as a pick...it's a better pick than one of the remaining QBs or Brooks (which is what I feared most). But I think that the pick will be more valuable in 2021 than 2020. We might have even net negative if either Ruiz or McCoy don't adjust quickly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom