Report: Saints seeking at least two 1st-round draft picks for Sean Payton (1 Viewer)

I wouldn't even care if they were in the same year, but I think a future HOF coach probably demands this compensation...

It doesn't matter, even if the Saints get 2 number 1s they will squander them with poor decisions ala Johnathan Sullivan, Marcus Davenport etc.
Or they’ll make good decisions like Olave, Lattimore, Ramczyk, etc.

Draft is always a bit of a crapshoot. The more (and better) picks you have, the better your odds of hitting.

Sounds like Mickey is trying to milk the Panthers. Apparently all of Sean's bluster about that "right fit", "ownership" and "front office" acumen was all BS. It was the $25 million a yr and control of personnel, that keeps Sean interested in the Panthers.

Sean isn't the hot property everyone thinks he is, and he would go for 2n RDer next year. If that. There are many coaches to hire................that don't cost a #1 pick. If Sean was all that in value. He would not be selecting from a bunch of bottom feeders like the Texans, AZ, Panthers, and Denver. Most of these jobs would go to 1st year coordinator HCs. My guess is Sean wants to coach someplace warm, or he would have signed w/ Denver already. They are the cleanest shirt in a dirty laundry basket.

Sounds like Mickey is trying to milk the Panthers. Apparently all of Sean's bluster about that "right fit", "ownership" and "front office" acumen was all BS. It was the $25 million a yr and control of personnel, that keeps Sean interested in the Panthers.

Sean isn't the hot property everyone thinks he is, and he would go for 2n RDer next year. If that. There are many coaches to hire................that don't cost a #1 pick. If Sean was all that in value. He would not be selecting from a bunch of bottom feeders like the Texans, AZ, Panthers, and Denver. Most of these jobs would go to 1st year coordinator HCs. My guess is Sean wants to coach someplace warm, or he would have signed w/ Denver already. They are the cleanest shirt in a dirty laundry basket.
I think he’s a great coach. He’s a automatic HOFer in my opinion. He might not be a first ballot, but he’ll get there just on the basis on being second or third (I forgot which place) on the QB/Coach wins list with Brees.
But I think his status gets knocked up a bit because he did the impossible. He turned one of the bottom franchises into a functional organization. And it wasn’t a short run. He had a sixteen year run.

It doesn't matter, even if the Saints get 2 number 1s they will squander them with poor decisions ala Johnathan Sullivan, Marcus Davenport etc.
I kind of have this fear too. What positions would you like to have them pick if we could decide. I would like a really good running back if one was there and a TE if we are stuck with Daltontype player and Allens conservative scheme. No DEs and OL ! . . .they can be had later in the draft.

Raiders traded Gruden for 2 firsts and 2 seconds to the Bucs, and Gruden hadn't even won a super bowl yet. Just saying.

Denver's still in play. I'll take Niners 1st and give me a 1st in 2024 or 2025. If Wilson flames out and they suck in that division, there's a chance one of those picks is decent.
Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda. Lol

I’ve been following the Broncos forum. A week ago the majority wanted Payton but didn’t want to give up a 1st. Now the majority being ok with giving a 1st, and some are warming up to bring ok with an additional 1st or 2nd. I think that is likely what’s going to happen.

I think a caveat is that Gruden was an active coach that they had to “pry” away from the Raiders. Payton isn’t our coach anymore and never will be. It’s just trading an asset. Like if the Saints had two stadiums, the Done and another nice stadium that they just don’t use anymore. Not my best analogy but you get the point.

Another thing is the Bucs at the time were right on the verge of a Super Bowl, Dungy just couldn't get them over the hump. There aren't any teams out there like that right now looking for a coach unless Dallas fires McCarthy or the Chargers suddenly change their mind on Staley.

Raiders traded Gruden for 2 firsts and 2 seconds to the Bucs, and Gruden hadn't even won a super bowl yet. Just saying.
The Raiders had Al Davis, who never had a problem playing hardball, we have Loomis Sean's best friend.

“Two firsts are unrealistic, and the Gruden trade is irrelevant” - some posters here

Btw, I don’t put any stock into anything Duncan says, but this is the type of info the Saints need to put out to counter what Payton said about compensation.
Exactly. I believe Sean and Mickey understand that this is part of the negotiation process, and by one party saying one thing (Payton), it puts the other party in a position to look like a villain. In reality, Mickey publicly saying that they are looking for 2 firsts makes it known that they aren’t being bad or unreasonable actors in this process. I like it personally.

The Raiders had Al Davis, who never had a problem playing hardball, we have Loomis Sean's best friend.
Until it actually happens, the whole "best friend" thing is irrelevant. I don't think Loomis is gonna negotiate any more or less hard for the Saints because of their perceived friendship status.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom