Report: Saints were preparing move to draft Mac Jones (1 Viewer)

Anyone on here who is still talking up Jameis Winston has a selective memory. I am hoping that the work he does changes his performance in game. But he is PRACTICING AGAINST AIR!

He’s not practicing against defenders, or defensive coordinators who know his tendencies. Jameis is doing all the right things to show leadership but it’s not enough to win the starting job.

Taysom is basically in the same boat. These guys do not have the mental part of the game figured out.

Still I’m glad they weren’t able to trade up for Mac Jones who was not really challenged at Alabama.

I’m glad we picked a guy who was challenged with not having the best players and going up against the monstrous programs of Clemson and Alabama. Book is not a top tier prospect, but we got him in the 4th. And he has a lot of experience and reps.

Mac Jones has half of the pass attempts of Ian Book. Mac Jones is a project, and his responsibilities will be limited when he first starts.

Our QB situation is not clear yet. Jameis will probably start the season, but Ian Book could take over when he has multiple multi-interception games. I think Taysom is what he is and will get reps at receiver/TE/QB/HB

That LT from Kentucky was probably drafted to come in on Taysom’s QB power plays. Those plays were fun. I don’t think Payton throws those out the window.
Book It...LOL!!! Bring on the Drew Bre
The idea that Payton would jeopardize their playoff position to hide Jameis is one more example of the irrational Faith that this Jameis won't be the Jameis that started five years as a QB1. Even a mountain of objective evidence can't breach the "Jameis Fandom's Wall of Excuses"

Teddy spent two seasons with Drew and Payton. Jameis has only spent one abbreviated season. How well did that work out for the Panthers?

Jameis fans need to temper their enthusiasm and wait for some actual evidence.

In 2017 Jameis won 3 games
In 2018 Jameis won 3 games
in 2019 Jameis won 7 games

11 wins in 38 starts. 29%

Tayson has 3 wins in 4 starts. 75%

And cut the crap that it was only because we played Atlanta twice.

In his last 4 years as a starter, Jameis played Atlanta 7 times
and won only twice. 29% Same as his average against all teams his last three years as QB1. Taysom, in one season, has the same number of wins against Atlanta as Jameis does in his last four seasons.

Drew is 4 and 4 against Atlanta during the same stretch

Is Taysom better or worse than Jameis? I do not know and neither do any of the Jameis fans who are so certain they do.
3 consecutive 7-9 seasons with Drew; things happen! Different team, coaches, locker room, new eyes, etc. I guess none of that matters...using Teddy doesn't prove your point; he went to Carolina and played the whole year with his best offensive weapon...I bet Teddy would've had a better record in New Orleans, different teams do matter!!!

Hey, don't watch Jameis if it pains you that much!

From 2012 to 2016 the Saints had 4 of 5 LOSING records. This under the almighty team of Drew Brees and Sean Payton. ETA - 2012 was the year Payton was neutered by Gotohell.
Uncertain what point you are making. As a Saint Drew has 7 or more wins every year. Seven is quite a bit better than three.

My point in case you missed it: If you want to dismiss Taysom's record because two games were against Atlanta then it is fair to look at how Jameis did against Atlanta. I've also looked at how other Franchise QB's did against Atlanta's defense last year. Which is a direct comparison of current QB's.

Against Atlanta 2020
  • NOS Hill 78% and 73%
  • GBP Rogers 72%
  • DAL Prescot 72%
  • PAN Bridgewater 65% and 75%
  • KAN Mahomes 54%
  • BUC Brady 63% and 69%
  • CHI Foles 57%
  • DET Stafford 69%
  • DEN Lock 52%
It just seems to me that if you look at Jameis Winston's career he fails to meet expectations at every turn while Taysom always seems to exceed his. Nobody, including me, expected Taysom to have the second-highest completion rate in the NFL last year. Accurate passing was not supposed to be one of his talents. Until it was.

Call me crazy but Payton and Drew did not remake Teddy in two years of trying so I remain skeptical that they can completely reverse Jameis' trajectory in less than one Covid tainted year.

So yeah, I have to chuckle when I read others talking as if Jameis has already proven he has been reborn and he is a Franchise Star.

How about some actual objective evidence first?

Last edited:
Book It...LOL!!! Bring on the Drew Bre

3 consecutive 7-9 seasons with Drew; things happen! Different team, coaches, locker room, new eyes, etc. I guess none of that matters...using Teddy doesn't prove your point; he went to Carolina and played the whole year with his best offensive weapon...I bet Teddy would've had a better record in New Orleans, different teams do matter!!!

Hey, don't watch Jameis if it pains you that much!
Don’t you hate how SSF carries over old partial posts? It happens to me about once a week (usually on things that I thought about posting but better judgement told me not to).

Uncertain what point you are making. As a Saint Drew has 7 or more wins every year. Seven is quite a bit better than three.

My point in case you missed it: If you want to dismiss Taysom's record because two games were against Atlanta then it is fair to look at how Jameis did against Atlanta. I've also looked at how other Franchise QB's did against Atlanta's defense last year. Which is a direct comparison of current QB's.

Against Atlanta 2020
  • NOS Hill 78% and 73%
  • GBP Rogers 72%
  • DAL Prescot 72%
  • PAN Bridgewater 65% and 75%
  • KAN Mahomes 54%
  • BUC Brady 63% and 69%
  • CHI Foles 57%
  • DET Stafford 69%
  • DEN Lock 52%
It just seems to me that if you look at Jameis Winston's career he fails to meet expectations at every turn while Taysom always seems to exceed his. Nobody, including me, expected Taysom to have the second-highest completion rate in the NFL last year. Accurate passing was not supposed to be one of his talents. Until it was.

Call me crazy but Payton and Drew did not remake Teddy in two years of trying so I remain skeptical that they can completely reverse Jameis' trajectory in less than one Covid tainted year.

So yeah I have to chuckle when I read others talking as if Jameis has already proven he has been reborn and he is a Franchise Star.

How about some actual objective evidence first?
I’d be concerned about teams catching up to Taysom. He’s also a year older as a running QB, which is somewhat concerning. Meanwhile Winston is still very young and has a much bigger sample size. I think the Saints are better with Winston at QB with Taysom at joker than they are with Taysom at QB and Winston on the bench.

I’d be concerned about teams catching up to Taysom. He’s also a year older as a running QB, which is somewhat concerning. Meanwhile Winston is still very young and has a much bigger sample size. I think the Saints are better with Winston at QB with Taysom at joker than they are with Taysom at QB and Winston on the bench.
I won't argue with that. You may be correct. My argument has always been time will tell. This is why I challenge those that post as if Jameis has already proven he is fixed or that Taysom has already proven he can't be.

If they felt that convicted about needing a QB they would have made the move. I preferred Fields over Jones though.

Combine that with not really having to feel any consistent pressure due to a dominant offensive line?

Not saying Jones is going to be good, just saying he is going to have to prove he can make plays when under more pressure than he is used to...we will see...

SP and the Saints throw up so many smokescreens, I don't believe anything from any source any longer....
Yeah i believe the stories that the Saints were interested in Mac Jones way more than the official Ireland spin that they weren't trying to trade up for him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom