Report: Saints were preparing move to draft Mac Jones (1 Viewer)

I don't really think that's a factor. I think that would completely end any opportunity to sign Jameis if he felt Sean was intentionally tanking his value on the open market by not playing him. I think it has more to do with familiarity with the system and the promise he made Taysom when he brought him back after the RFA experiment.
The idea that Payton would jeopardize their playoff position to hide Jameis is one more example of the irrational Faith that this Jameis won't be the Jameis that started five years as a QB1. Even a mountain of objective evidence can't breach the "Jameis Fandom's Wall of Excuses"

Teddy spent two seasons with Drew and Payton. Jameis has only spent one abbreviated season. How well did that work out for the Panthers?

Jameis fans need to temper their enthusiasm and wait for some actual evidence.

In 2017 Jameis won 3 games
In 2018 Jameis won 3 games
in 2019 Jameis won 7 games

11 wins in 38 starts. 29%

Tayson has 3 wins in 4 starts. 75%

And cut the crap that it was only because we played Atlanta twice.

In his last 4 years as a starter, Jameis played Atlanta 7 times
and won only twice. 29% Same as his average against all teams his last three years as QB1. Taysom, in one season, has the same number of wins against Atlanta as Jameis does in his last four seasons.

Drew is 4 and 4 against Atlanta during the same stretch

Is Taysom better or worse than Jameis? I do not know and neither do any of the Jameis fans who are so certain they do.

Last edited:
Of course they wanted Mac Jones.

This was reported by several reporters on draft day and is still being reported.

The only reason why people here still don't want to accept it is because they don't want their favorite posters saying "I told you so."

You still need weapons in the pros.

Tyreek Hill, Kelce, Edwards Hillaire.

Gronkowski, Evan's, Godwin, Antonio Brown, Fournette.

Why else would Brady change teams?

You think it was just money why Brady went to Tampa?
As of now, our top two guys are MT & TQS. So yeah weapons do matter.

One year starter playing on the most dominant team in football throwing to two 1st round WR's and handing off to a 1st round back. I'm not so sure he is as good as advertised. I'm glad we didn't get him. I'm not sold.

While true everyone he would be throwing to in the Saints offense are professionals including one of the top receivers in the game, a young tight end with tremendously high upside, the best receiving back in football, etc.

He would have been special here and I hate Alabama. But, oh well. We will be fine

• 1Like
Reactions: MV2
Drew Brees deciding not to retire is the biggest reason Brady went to Tampa.

Not sure how @gregg2g could dislike this response as it’s well documented that Tom reached out to the Saints and there was a mutual agreement that Tom was coming here had Drew retired. This isn’t skeptics or opinion, it’s well documented

I keep saying it. Payton isn’t sold on Winston or Hill. I know people keep thinking Winston won the spot already but it’s far from his. There will be a full on QB battle between 3 guys in camp and I have a feeling we may have a rookie starting the first game of the year. Same thing happened in Seattle when their forum was all about Matt Flynn was going to be awesome and then they drafted this kid Russell Wilson who was short, athletic and smart but not really on the radar as a top QB. I’d love for it to go this way.
I definitely agree with the first part of this. When Drew went down and Sean played coy about who would start the next week, we all KNEW it would be Jameis because it made sense. Instead, we got the Taysom experience. Going into this season, it seems so clear that Jameis should win the starting job. The team is definitely behind him. But it wouldn't shock me if Sean decided to go with Taysom again, just because we've already seen him make the choice.

As far as Ian Book...we'll see. I don't think he's going to push for playing time this year. But hopefully it's in the cards in the future.

Just listened to Nick’s pod on this
Says the report is 3rd hand, but it’s a source he trusts
He had an interesting take on why they might want to draft QB (not nec Jones)
Saints were confident in Taysom based on practice but then game did not show up on Sunday
What if it’s similar with Jameis (looks great in camp but then pushes/freaks out in 4th down 2 scores - or tightens up during a playoff push) - nine of the things you can replicate in practice
otoh
What if Jameis lights it up and Saints can’t afford to keep him

on the Jones thing, while noting that several HCs who know winning were interested in Jones, you’ve never really seen him vs pressure bc the Alabama line is essentially a pro line vs mostly college Ds
What if Jameis plays like he always has? If he does we will still be looking for a QB.

Last edited:
Not sure how @gregg2g could dislike this response as it’s well documented that Tom reached out to the Saints and there was a mutual agreement that Tom was coming here had Drew retired. This isn’t skeptics or opinion, it’s well documented
Could someone please share with me the contact details of this mutual agreement?

Just listened to Nick’s pod on this
Says the report is 3rd hand, but it’s a source he trusts
He had an interesting take on why they might want to draft QB (not nec Jones)
Saints were confident in Taysom based on practice but then game did not show up on Sunday
What if it’s similar with Jameis (looks great in camp but then pushes/freaks out in 4th down 2 scores - or tightens up during a playoff push) - nine of the things you can replicate in practice
otoh
What if Jameis lights it up and Saints can’t afford to keep him

on the Jones thing, while noting that several HCs who know winning were interested in Jones, you’ve never really seen him vs pressure bc the Alabama line is essentially a pro line vs mostly college Ds
If Jameis lights it up they will find a way to keep him, using the franchise tag if necessary.

While true everyone he would be throwing to in the Saints offense are professionals including one of the top receivers in the game, a young tight end with tremendously high upside, the best receiving back in football, etc.

He would have been special here and I hate Alabama. But, oh well. We will be fine
I've never really seen him under pressure. Having to go "off script" is often times what makes or breaks an NFL QB.

I really don’t think it was because the Saints didn’t like what they saw from Taysom in games, and are worried Jameis is still Jameis...

Taysom was 3-1, and the Philly loss was on the defense more than anything.

I think they were interested in drafting a QB because this was a deep class and Taysom Hill is 30yo. Get a good young QB and let Taysom take the reigns while the kid learns for a 2-3 years.

The idea that Payton would jeopardize their playoff position to hide Jameis is one more example of the irrational Faith that this Jameis won't be the Jameis that started five years as a QB1. Even a mountain of objective evidence can't breach the "Jameis Fandom's Wall of Excuses"

Teddy spent two seasons with Drew and Payton. Jameis has only spent one abbreviated season. How well did that work out for the Panthers?

Jameis fans need to temper their enthusiasm and wait for some actual evidence.

In 2017 Jameis won 3 games
In 2018 Jameis won 3 games
in 2019 Jameis won 7 games

11 wins in 38 starts. 29%

Tayson has 3 wins in 4 starts. 75%

And cut the crap that it was only because we played Atlanta twice.

In his last 4 years as a starter, Jameis played Atlanta 7 times
and won only twice. 29% Same as his average against all teams his last three years as QB1. Taysom, in one season, has the same number of wins against Atlanta as Jameis does in his last four seasons.

Drew is 4 and 4 against Atlanta during the same stretch

Is Taysom better or worse than Jameis? I do not know and neither do any of the Jameis fans who are so certain they do.
Really you’re comparing the Tampa team Winston was playing on to the saints team? Or the team that Tampa was last year to the previous year? I trust in Sean to put the team in the best position to win, be it Taysom or Jamies. I like Taysom but your constantly chewing on his jock strap is getting old.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom