Report: Saints were preparing move to draft Mac Jones (1 Viewer)

Just listened to Nick’s pod on this
Says the report is 3rd hand, but it’s a source he trusts
He had an interesting take on why they might want to draft QB (not nec Jones)
Saints were confident in Taysom based on practice but then game did not show up on Sunday
What if it’s similar with Jameis (looks great in camp but then pushes/freaks out in 4th down 2 scores - or tightens up during a playoff push) - nine of the things you can replicate in practice
otoh
What if Jameis lights it up and Saints can’t afford to keep him

on the Jones thing, while noting that several HCs who know winning were interested in Jones, you’ve never really seen him vs pressure bc the Alabama line is essentially a pro line vs mostly college Ds

Of course they wanted Mac Jones.

This was reported by several reporters on draft day and is still being reported.

The only reason why people here still don't want to accept it is because they don't want their favorite posters saying "I told you so."

Of course they wanted Mac Jones.

This was reported by several reporters on draft day and is still being reported.

The only reason why people here still don't want to accept it is because they don't want their favorite posters saying "I told you so."
Stay consistent
Saying Saints wanted Mac Jones really undermines your ‘building the team for Taysom’ narrative

Just listened to Nick’s pod on this
Says the report is 3rd hand, but it’s a source he trusts
Saints were confident in Taysom based on practice but then game did not show up on Sunday
What if it’s similar with Jameis (looks great in camp but then pushes/freaks out in 4th down 2 scores - or tightens up during a playoff push) - nine of the things you can replicate in practice
otoh

on the Jones thing, while noting that several HCs who know winning were interested in Jones, you’ve never really seen him vs pressure bc the Alabama line is essentially a pro line vs mostly college Ds
Not being pressured is a big part of winning superbowls.

No coincidence that the teams with the best records last year allowed the fewest sacks.

The Steelers, Packers and Bucs.

Mac Jones's PFF rating from a clean pocket is almost identical to Tom Brady's.

One year starter playing on the most dominant team in football throwing to two 1st round WR's and handing off to a 1st round back. I'm not so sure he is as good as advertised. I'm glad we didn't get him. I'm not sold.

Stay consistent
Saying Saints wanted Mac Jones really undermines your ‘building the team for Taysom’ narrative
It is consistent.

You're just reaching for a contradiction where there isn't one.

Who knows if their draft strategy had gone differently had their trade up for Jones been successful.

If you don't think that teams wargame several possible scenarios and have contingency plans for the draft and free agency then that's pretty amateurish.

One year starter playing on the most dominant team in football throwing to two 1st round WR's and handing off to a 1st round back. I'm not so sure he is as good as advertised. I'm glad we didn't get him. I'm not sold.
You still need weapons in the pros.

Tyreek Hill, Kelce, Edwards Hillaire.

Gronkowski, Evan's, Godwin, Antonio Brown, Fournette.

Why else would Brady change teams?

You think it was just money why Brady went to Tampa?

You still need weapons in the pros.

Tyreek Hill, Kelce, Edwards Hillaire.

Gronkowski, Evan's, Godwin, Antonio Brown, Fournette.

Why else would Brady change teams?

You think it was just money why Brady went to Tampa?
The thread is about Mac not Brady. Yes you need weapons, but even with those weapons in the Pros you will not just sit back there constantly with a clean pocket. He will be pressured and he won't be on a team that will dominate like Alabama did. And even the talent you listed weren't all first round picks.

I'd have to say I wasn't that surprised that they had an eye on Jones since the Saints were long rumored to be one of the teams interested in him. I'm not even that surprised they were trying to move up because of our history. I am kinda surprised it apparently really wasn't for a CB which is what I assumed. I figured any QB talk from the Saints was the front office blowing smoke. Not that I think a QB in the first would have been a terrible call. I'm really surprised that if Jones was who they wanted they couldn't go higher than the Cardinals. Jones going to the Patriots was probably in my top 10 least surprising draft picks ever. 😆

I wouldn't have been unhappy with Jones, but CB is clearly the bigger need, at least from my perspective. I know enough to know that Loomis and Payton are unpredictable on draft day, but...

My position has long been they think Winston is the guy and if that doesn't work out Taysom is a good option to fall back on. If the Saints were really on the warpath for a QB that makes me question where their heads are at on the two we had in the sack on draft day, especially if they were going there instead of CB or DL. Interesting.

Combine that with not really having to feel any consistent pressure due to a dominant offensive line?

Not saying Jones is going to be good, just saying he is going to have to prove he can make plays when under more pressure than he is used to...we will see...

SP and the Saints throw up so many smokescreens, I don't believe anything from any source any longer....

I keep saying it. Payton isn’t sold on Winston or Hill. I know people keep thinking Winston won the spot already but it’s far from his. There will be a full on QB battle between 3 guys in camp and I have a feeling we may have a rookie starting the first game of the year. Same thing happened in Seattle when their forum was all about Matt Flynn was going to be awesome and then they drafted this kid Russell Wilson who was short, athletic and smart but not really on the radar as a top QB. I’d love for it to go this way.

People on here that are wanting Taysom don't want to hear it, but I think that was the big reason Taysom got the starts last year when Brees got hurt. I suspect Payton didn't want Winston's value to blow up like it did with Bridgewater the year before knowing he would need to sign Winston for this year at a reasonable price or they would need to swing big in the draft or for a free agent.

At the end of the day I think Payton is comfortable he can win with either, but if my theory is correct that is pretty ballsy to risk losing a few games with the second guy on your list.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom