Report: Saints were preparing move to draft Mac Jones (1 Viewer)

I keep saying it. Payton isn’t sold on Winston or Hill. I know people keep thinking Winston won the spot already but it’s far from his. There will be a full on QB battle between 3 guys in camp and I have a feeling we may have a rookie starting the first game of the year. Same thing happened in Seattle when their forum was all about Matt Flynn was going to be awesome and then they drafted this kid Russell Wilson who was short, athletic and smart but not really on the radar as a top QB. I’d love for it to go this way.
I agree with you for the most part, the only exception being that I do believe it’s a two man race, not 3. Semien nor Book will be our starter.

I keep saying it. Payton isn’t sold on Winston or Hill. I know people keep thinking Winston won the spot already but it’s far from his. There will be a full on QB battle between 3 guys in camp and I have a feeling we may have a rookie starting the first game of the year. Same thing happened in Seattle when their forum was all about Matt Flynn was going to be awesome and then they drafted this kid Russell Wilson who was short, athletic and smart but not really on the radar as a top QB. I’d love for it to go this way.
One thing I don’t understand is why would you trade up that high for a CB if you know that you need an upgrade at QB? If we would have spent multiple 1st for Horn...that could have crushed our ability to get a rookie QB in 2022. So I honestly find it really strange that they’d try to trade up for a QB after failing to trade up for a CB. Don’t get me wrong...a good CB could be valuable...but the thought that it is even remotely as important as QB is laughable. So you think a QB is worth a top 15 pick...but not a top 10 pick? I don’t get it

People on here that are wanting Taysom don't want to hear it, but I think that was the big reason Taysom got the starts last year when Brees got hurt. I suspect Payton didn't want Winston's value to blow up like it did with Bridgewater the year before knowing he would need to sign Winston for this year at a reasonable price or they would need to swing big in the draft or for a free agent.

At the end of the day I think Payton is comfortable he can win with either, but if my theory is correct that is pretty ballsy to risk losing a few games with the second guy on your list.
I don't really think that's a factor. I think that would completely end any opportunity to sign Jameis if he felt Sean was intentionally tanking his value on the open market by not playing him. I think it has more to do with familiarity with the system and the promise he made Taysom when he brought him back after the RFA experiment.

We went from having a future HOF QB, who aside from the last year or so, we always knew what we'd be getting, to several mostly unknowns in the other guys. I don't think Payton is completely sold on anyone either, but I stick to my belief that I don't see Payton ever starts a rookie QB in this offense. Yeah, they'll all be competing in camp, but this job will ultimately be Winston's or Taysom's, barring some other pickup or trade.

Truth is, we may be searching for QBs for the next 5 years, hoping to come close to what we have had for so long. Or, maybe not. Maybe one of these guys accepts their golden opportunity and shines to the best of their ability. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, but at this point, it's definitely Winston's job to lose.

I'd have to say I wasn't that surprised that they had an eye on Jones since the Saints were long rumored to be one of the teams interested in him. I'm not even that surprised they were trying to move up because of our history. I am kinda surprised it apparently really wasn't for a CB which is what I assumed. I figured any QB talk from the Saints was the front office blowing smoke. Not that I think a QB in the first would have been a terrible call. I'm really surprised that if Jones was who they wanted they couldn't go higher than the Cardinals. Jones going to the Patriots was probably in my top 10 least surprising draft picks ever. 😆

I wouldn't have been unhappy with Jones, but CB is clearly the bigger need, at least from my perspective. I know enough to know that Loomis and Payton are unpredictable on draft day, but...

My position has long been they think Winston is the guy and if that doesn't work out Taysom is a good option to fall back on. If the Saints were really on the warpath for a QB that makes me question where their heads are at on the two we had in the sack on draft day, especially if they were going there instead of CB or DL. Interesting.
Another thing Nick pointed out is that this nugget certainly doesn’t come from the Saints and more than likely comes from one of the teams they are trying to trade with

One year starter playing on the most dominant team in football throwing to two 1st round WR's and handing off to a 1st round back. I'm not so sure he is as good as advertised. I'm glad we didn't get him. I'm not sold.
That’s not his fault his team is stacked. He also put produced Tua using the same players.

You have to have arms for camp and game day competent backup. If Winston is the presumed starter, we know Taysom joker role precluded him as a game day back up.

Believing draft day rumors when it comes to CSP isn't something that I would want to put money on. He is a master motivator and loves to send out smoke screens. One bet that I would put money on is that most other coaches would lose money to CSP if they played poker

That’s not his fault his team is stacked. He also put produced Tua using the same players.
So he's better than Tua who has yet to do anything in the NFL? Not sure what that proves. It's not his "fault" his team was stacked but that had alot to do with his production.

I agree with you for the most part, the only exception being that I do believe it’s a two man race, not 3. Semien nor Book will be our starter.
I don't think CSP put a player in who didn't give him the best chance to win to hoard Winston's "value". If putting Pete Carmichael in at QB gave best option to win...or most importantly trust to not LOSE a game , he would have been signed, passed a physical and been in the game.

It will be a 2 headed QB competition with Winston and Hill but he will be looking hard and getting a clear picture of what Book and Seimian can do.

As I said before, Hill will be on the field a LOT, barring injury as the starter or in usual multi-position roles. Winston could be 3rd or inactive by the end of the season if things go sour and Book could be getting starts if injuries or play goes south with either. Who knows how much Winston could swing this upcoming season.

Why would they try to trade up for Mac Jones behind the Patriots with them holding onto CAM Newton as their QB.

Thats an obvious pick. That doesn't make sense and story keeps changing every time it gets brought up.

If they really wanted Mac Jones... They'd get him. They didn't. End of story. Trading up for QB is a lot different than trading up for any other position. You don't just draft a QB to wait and see. You draft him to be a franchise guy. The price is irrelevant.. Ask the 49ers...

The only QB CSP and our FO was willing, if the right deal rolled around, to get was Jones. The others all had too many questions. With Mac, his feet and base are things that CSP covets in a QB and I was impressed how he sets his base towards his targets and reads. His mechanics are all fixable/tweakable. He has a slow wind up and leans away from throws, but those are coachable. If he throws more compact and can get himself more upright, he wouldn't have as much issue with floaty deep balls and get ball out faster. The feet and base are the hard ones for QB's to get re-tooled when not natural to them. If it wasn't Mac, it was Book. I don't think they really truly considered any other QB unless was literally BPA by a huge margin as per their board. So, I can see Mac being a looksy for them.

Believing draft day rumors when it comes to CSP isn't something that I would want to put money on. He is a master motivator and loves to send out smoke screens. One bet that I would put money on is that most other coaches would lose money to CSP if they played poker
Are you sure? SP has some deficiencies that would hinder his ability to player poker. He has a poker face, but there are things that he can’t help himself from doing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom