Reporter: "You're not playing for the playoffs in your 16th season Drew, what are you playing for?" (1 Viewer)

Not that it really matters, but to clarify, it was a female reporter.

And I really didn't find it to be a silly question. Just because she asks him what he's playing for doesn't mean that she's implying that there's nothing to play for.

First what you play for is to get into the playoffs, then when you no longer can get into the playoffs you play for something else -- she was simply asking what that is for Drew.

Don't be so hard on her, she's a sports reporter for goodness sake :)

Sometimes reporters ask dumb questions. Sometimes they ask a dumb question about competing to the most competitive man on the planet.

Luckily the answer they get tends to make it a one time mistake.

And I really didn't find it to be a silly question. Just because she asks him what he's playing for doesn't mean that she's implying that there's nothing to play for.

First what you play for is to get into the playoffs, then when you no longer can get into the playoffs you play for something else -- she was simply asking what that is for Drew.

She could have worded it totally different if that's what she was going for..

I.E. - Drew, since you guys are now mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, what are you playing for? Your teammates? The city??

If she worded it that way, us nor Drew would have taken it as if "why are you even playing? You're not going anywhere" kinda question.

I agree. Her job is to get a good quote, something that sums up what the player is thinking--which she did.

If by some strange twist of fate, you ever find yourself in a conversation with Bill Parcells, Sean Payton, Tony Dungy.......actually pretty much any NFL coach who has remotely accomplished anything.............please repeat that exact statement and have someone record their response, and then put it on YouTube.

My guess is they'll have about the same appreciation of your insight into football that I do.

he will then gather 32 "coaches" in a room and give them each a quarter and say "heads = wins" and tell them to flip their quarters 100 times
and all will marvel when random coin flips replicate NFL coach winning %s

She could have worded it totally different if that's what she was going for..

I.E. - Drew, since you guys are now mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, what are you playing for? Your teammates? The city??

If she worded it that way, us nor Drew would have taken it as if "why are you even playing? You're not going anywhere" kinda question.

Matter of perspective I guess..."Drew, since you guys are now mathematically eliminated from the playoffs" is not so much different than "Drew, you're not playing for the playoffs."

I mean he's not playing for the playoffs cause he can't be, it's obvious that it's a mathematical impossibility, no need to repeat in the question that it's a mathematical impossibility. And to mention that it he might be playing for his teammates or city, that's kinda leading him into an answer, rather than leaving it open ended. Leaving the question open ended makes for a better response, rather than suggesting possible answers.

If she thought there was maybe nothing to play for she may have said "Is there anything for you to play for?" If she had put it that way, then I'd roll my eyes like a lot of other folks. But the way she worded it actually did imply that she assumed that there was something to play for.

That's my perspective anyhow...

he will then gather 32 "coaches" in a room and give them each a quarter and say "heads = wins" and tell them to flip their quarters 100 times
and all will marvel when random coin flips replicate NFL coach winning %s

Not sure of your point exactly, but random coin flips by 32 individuals would never equal (or at least it'd be EXTREMELY unlikely that it would equal) cumulative winning percentage by NFL coaches over the course of one year. Every game is either win, loss, or tie in the regular season, therefore combined cumulative winning percentage for coaches over the course of a regular season is ALWAYS EXACTLY 50%.

Now if you're suggesting that the random flips would be likely to replicate the variation in winning percentage among coaches, that'd also be wrong.

Just look at Bill Belichick's winning percentage over his career with the Patriots (around 74%). The likelihood of someone flipping heads on a coin 74 times in 100 attempts is around .0001%, almost impossible.

But I'm definitely making way too much out of your comment, so there's that :)

That reporter should be totally fired, punched or dismembered for asking a provocative question that elicited a rare non-scripted response that has generated fodder for a discussion here that has gone on for three pages. Booo to reporters asking things in ways that will get people off their talking points.

That reporter should be totally fired, punched or dismembered for asking a provocative question that elicited a rare non-scripted response that has generated fodder for a discussion here that has gone on for three pages. Booo to reporters asking things in ways that will get people off their talking points.

Off with her head!!

No one wants the players to tank.

Some of us just don't think the best players should be on the field.

None of those things Drew said he's playing for matter to me. Of course, I'm not playing. I just don't think Drew should be playing either.

None of the things Drew said he was playing for should matter to the people running the team.

Sure there are lots of people here that wanted the team to tank about 6 weeks ago after a disappointing loss to whoever they played that week.

It's like a regular thing here along with the Sean Payton is leaving threads..........:scratch:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom