"Republican" does not equal "Conservative" - terrific Beck Column (1 Viewer)

I have zero respect for that clown. Won't read.

I have zero respect for that clown but usually read his stuff. The best way to learn is to read, listen and see things you don't agree with. Simply seeking perpetual confirmation of what you already believe is the fastest path to zero personal growth.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ypq-llFx_4w&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ypq-llFx_4w&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It was an okay article. I don't hate Beck or anything, but defining one's life by make-it-up-as-you-go ideology is no better than defining your life by political party. "I am a conservative." "I am a liberal."

Meaningless.

TPS

I prefer my government a level or two higher above anarchy than Beck does, but his description nails me with about 85% accuracy....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/25/beck.conservatives/index.html

I'd have to agree with you and Glenn Beck. The Republican Party has completely lost itself at every level as far as true Conservatism goes. The recent behavior of the Louisiana State Legislature (including many Republicans) as well as our Republican Governor who refuses to use his constitutionally mandated power to check their actions was the final straw as far as I'm concerned.

A conservative believes that each of us has a duty to take care of our neighbors. It was private individuals, companies and congregations that sent water, blankets and supplies to New Orleans far before the government ever set foot there.

Great. If this is the conservative credo, then I am sure glad I am not one.

I don't know anything about Glenn Beck, whoever he is. Sometimes the news is slow in reaching forest creatures like myself. So I have no frame of reference with him.

But this is right on, more or less:

A conservative believes that our inalienable rights do not include housing, healthcare or Hummers.

A conservative believes that our inalienable rights DO include the pursuit of happiness. That means it is guaranteed to no one.

A conservative believes that those who pursue happiness and find it have a right to not be penalized for that success.

A conservative believes that there are no protections against the hardship and heartache of failure. We believe that the right to fail is just as important as the chance to succeed and that those who do fail learn essential lessons that will help them the next time around.

A conservative believes in personal responsibility and accepts the consequences for his or her words and actions.

A conservative believes that real compassion can't be found in any government program.

A conservative believes that each of us has a duty to take care of our neighbors. It was private individuals, companies and congregations that sent water, blankets and supplies to New Orleans far before the government ever set foot there.

A conservative believes that family is the cornerstone of our society and that people have a right to manage their family any way they see fit, so long as it's not criminal. We are far more attuned to our family's needs than some faceless, soulless government program.

A conservative believes that people have a right to worship the God of their understanding. We also believe that people do not have the right to jam their version of God (or no God) down anybody else's throat.

A conservative believes that people go to the movies to be entertained and to church to be preached to, not the other way around.

A conservative believes that debt creates unhealthy relationships. Everyone, from the government on down, should live within their means and strive for financial independence.

A conservative believes that a child's education is the responsibility of the parents, not the government.

A conservative believes that every human being has a right to life, from conception to death.

A conservative believes in the smallest government you can get without anarchy. We know our history: The larger a government gets, the harder it will fall.

I have zero respect for that clown but usually read his stuff. The best way to learn is to read, listen and see things you don't agree with. Simply seeking perpetual confirmation of what you already believe is the fastest path to zero personal growth.

I know nothing about the guy other than reading maybe 3 columns of his in my life. Never heard him on the radio. So I brought no bias to the reading.

It was an okay article. I don't hate Beck or anything, but defining one's life by make-it-up-as-you-go ideology is no better than defining your life by political party. "I am a conservative." "I am a liberal."

Meaningless.

TPS

Having no biased baggage about the guy coming in, the article didn't read to me like a "make-it-up-as-you-go ideology". Maybe that's what the guy does on his radio show or in other columns but I thought the statements were pretty clear as far as core principles go -- I concede though that it is a slippery slope when trying to implement principles through actual policy.

that a way to keep an open mind. just stick to what you know and you'll be more enlightened for it. :9:

Awesome :9:

In his defense though, he's only 24 and if fresh out of college, likely as brainwashed as those Jonestown looneys. I kid, I kid.:awink:

Actually, I just read it and although Beck can bite me for his New Orleans comments after Katrina, that article, not the man himself, has merit.

Sorry, I was responding to dajmno. I should have quoted him.

No problem -- I understood that. I just liked your comment and wanted to ride it's coattails. I always tell my kids what you advised in the note: read, listen and discusss issues with those you most disagree with if you really want to grow intellectually.

That's why the whole talk radio drama (on both sides) cracks me up -- most of the listeners are either sycophants or people who enjoy feeling outrage.

>>that a way to keep an open mind. just stick to what you know and you'll be more enlightened for it.

Would you self-classify yourself thusly? :shrug:

>>Having no biased baggage about the guy coming in, the article didn't read to me like a "make-it-up-as-you-go ideology". Maybe that's what the guy does on his radio show or in other columns but I thought the statements were pretty clear as far as core principles go -- I concede though that it is a slippery slope when trying to implement principles through actual policy.

He's a reformed alk'alic who found God and is a bit of an angry white guy. He's on CNNHN every night for an hour (a couple of times per night). He's pretty honest, but I wasn't talking about him. I was talking about "Conservatism" which has basically been invented, the American kind anyway, over the last couple of decades. They made it up. Seriously. It's the angry-white-guy backlash to hippies and freaks of the 60's and 70's codified behind God, Flag and pseudo-patriotism for consumption by the McDonald's chomping masses. Conservatism has always been a reactionary philosophy back to its origins (maintaining the power within the status quote: then, lords; now, white guys).

The problem with Beck, and he didn't come right out and say it is that by using the analogy of opposing philosophies/parties marching toward one another for yet another battle but then defining a "side" that he claimed to believe in, he was doing the same thing. Some tenets (including his) of conservatism are okay with me. But unfettered, it becomes a class war. It can go no other way. The entire "Ownership Society" mantra trumped by the rich and echoed by their am listening minions (ref. Steve Forbes Flat Tax and all the people who took up that cause :covri: ). FYI, let's take a closer look at those "Conservative" principles:

A conservative believes that our inalienable rights do not include housing, healthcare or Hummers.

I don't believe that many people think Hummers are an inalienable right. Curiously he didn't include "education" which many conservatives also do not believe is a right. Far more fiscally successful western countries make healthcare a right and have done quite well maintainnig a far more healthier population than what we have in America. As for housing, eh, I don't know. That's too big of an issue in a quick response post.

>>A conservative believes that our inalienable rights DO include the pursuit of happiness. That means it is guaranteed to no one.

However, when was the last "Conservative" Justice you saw fighting for the rights of people to do what they want, when they want in this pursuit (e.g. victimless crimes). Clue: YOU HAVEN'T

>>A conservative believes that those who pursue happiness and find it have a right to not be penalized for that success.

In other words, pursuing happiness means getting filthy and ridiculously rich. And they should not be penalized no matter how they got there, how many old people they bilked out of their retirements (see Keating, Milken, Lay, etc.) or how many people they ripped off along the way. No.

>>A conservative believes that there are no protections against the hardship and heartache of failure. We believe that the right to fail is just as important as the chance to succeed and that those who do fail learn essential lessons that will help them the next time around.

Right, unless those who failed were bilked out of their "pursuit of happiness" by conservatives such as Kenneth Lay. Oops, you're 64 and about to retire on what you thought was millions of dollars of Enron stock. Sorry, that's now worth about $10,000. Better luck next time *** hole. (Shhhh - Ownership society)

>>A conservative believes in personal responsibility and accepts the consequences for his or her words and actions.

Most people do this anyway. I don't see how that's a "conservative" ideal. When was the last time Rush Limbaugh practiced personal responsibility or accepted the consequences for his words or actions? Clue: We live in a society where you don't have to accept any responsibility provided you have enough money to pay for the best lawyers there are (see O.J. Simpson, Rush Limbaught).

>>A conservative believes that real compassion can't be found in any government program.

They only would beileve this because that's what their leaders tell them. Suppose for instance you have a really great teacher who really gives a **** about her students and shows them real compassion. You've already struck this batter out. What about the SSI check that helps the paraplegic pay for his motorized wheelchair? Why his Church should have paid for that! Or private citizens or charity! Next?

>>A conservative believes that each of us has a duty to take care of our neighbors. It was private individuals, companies and congregations that sent water, blankets and supplies to New Orleans far before the government ever set foot there.

That's neither conservative nor liberal nor libertarian nor any other ideology. That's a "community" spirit and not found in political ideology except for those trying to validiate their execesses. When was the last time you saw a "Conservative" helping his less fortunate neighbors simply because he was a "Cosnervative" when he believes in their right to fail (often at his expense)? :shrug:

>>A conservative believes that family is the cornerstone of our society and that people have a right to manage their family any way they see fit, so long as it's not criminal. We are far more attuned to our family's needs than some faceless, soulless government program.

Many of them could use a reality check. Not all of us are from or in traditional families. In fact it was conservatives who basically built our society into one where both parents need to work to afford basic necessities with some extras. That's call capitalism. It's their hallmark. Practice what you preach and provide policies that emphasize that if you really believe in it. Opposing family medical leave act and sending our kids off to fight Quixotic wars doesn't classify as a family value in my world. And as to "managing" families, I'm quite sure the honorable Mr. Beck isn't advocating abortion or birth control :9:

>>A conservative believes that people have a right to worship the God of their understanding. We also believe that people do not have the right to jam their version of God (or no God) down anybody else's throat.

But you ally with those who do. Most of them consider themselves conservative. You simply can't have it both ways. :nono:

>>A conservative believes that people go to the movies to be entertained and to church to be preached to, not the other way around.

Talking point to stir up those who were losing interest. 'Damn those Hollywood elites!!!'

>>A conservative believes that debt creates unhealthy relationships. Everyone, from the government on down, should live within their means and strive for financial independence.

Can someone name me the last 'conservative' that practiced this? I think even most extreme liberals get this one.

>>A conservative believes that a child's education is the responsibility of the parents, not the government.

Right. Because that way they can do what they started out doing, maintaining the power and status quo amongst the haves. While they rip you off "pursuing happiness" and making millions off of your needs, wants and desires, they send their kids off to elite boarding schools or excessively expensive private schools. For everyone else, "Let them read cake!!"

>>A conservative believes that every human being has a right to life, from conception to death.

But this doesn't jibe with the idea of managing families the way they see fit. And how does this become a "conservative" issue at all? It's not. It's wind, hot air and "manna" for those of you ignorant enough to believe to lap out of your pet bowls laid out there before you.

>>A conservative believes in the smallest government you can get without anarchy. We know our history: The larger a government gets, the harder it will fall.

I'm all for this type of conservative, but I don't believe it exists in the context of modern American (national) politics.

Seriously, Beck just spewed out some preach for the choir who buys into ideology. He is still completely full of **** but it sounds good to people who want something to believe in by way of ideology.

:)

TPS

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom