Residential natural gas pressure test: Anyone had one done recently? Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

All right.

Family friend came over yesterday and changed out the gas flexi pipe leading to the dryer. Old pipe was apparently leaking near one of the necks.

But.

Atmos came out later and pressure tested our home gas lines again. At the meter -- the tech never entered the house. And again, our home's gas lines aren't holding pressure.

So, at this point, we'll need to find where the (other) leak actually is and repair it. This time, with the gas still off, there's no way to use scent as a clue.

I want to get another licensed plumber/gas guy to come out and at least do their own air pressure test and fix whatever leak they can find. However, the first plumber to come out refused to work on the dryer's flexi pipe while the gas was off ... and then walked around our kitchen telling us all the upgrades we'll need.

I wish I could re-title the thread ... because apparently Atmos doesn't care about a parish gas inspection. For Atmos, all they want to see is the gas line pass a pressure test. If that happens, our gas comes back on -- no parish involvement.

@Sneak42 or anyone else who might know: Is it reasonable to ask a plumber to simply run a air pressure test, find a gas leak, repair it, run another pressure test to verify, and be done? Is that a reasonable thing to ask of a plumber? Is there a reason all the other upgrades to all the other gas appliances need to happen if there will be no parish inspection?

All right.

Family friend came over yesterday and changed out the gas flexi pipe leading to the dryer. Old pipe was apparently leaking near one of the necks.

But.

Atmos came out later and pressure tested our home gas lines again. At the meter -- the tech never entered the house. And again, our home's gas lines aren't holding pressure.

So, at this point, we'll need to find where the (other) leak actually is and repair it. This time, with the gas still off, there's no way to use scent as a clue.

I want to get another licensed plumber/gas guy to come out and at least do their own air pressure test and fix whatever leak they can find. However, the first plumber to come out refused to work on the dryer's flexi pipe while the gas was off ... and then walked around our kitchen telling us all the upgrades we'll need.

I wish I could re-title the thread ... because apparently Atmos doesn't care about a parish gas inspection. For Atmos, all they want to see is the gas line pass a pressure test. If that happens, our gas comes back on -- no parish involvement.

@Sneak42 or anyone else who might know: Is it reasonable to ask a plumber to simply run a air pressure test, find a gas leak, repair it, run another pressure test to verify, and be done? Is that a reasonable thing to ask of a plumber? Is there a reason all the other upgrades to all the other gas appliances need to happen if there will be no parish inspection?
That is reasonable from my perspective. In my experience the parish/city inspections are necessary here when the service has been inactive for a certain length of time, like over several months. As long as it isn't a safety issue, it should be fine.

I wish I could re-title the thread ... because apparently Atmos doesn't care about a parish gas inspection.

Ask and thou shalt receive -- thanks, Andrus!

More general home gas-line maintenance advice and chit-chat welcome!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom