Residential Solar - drawbacks, OMGs, thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I did a search for solar before posting. Didn't find much. We are considering "going solar" and I wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts experiences, drawbacks, etc. I am the person that does a lot of research before jumping in, but "I don't know what I don't know".

I have asked about, and received positive feedback (from the solar company) on the following:

hail resistance - supposedly highly resistant to hail damage
secure roof mounting - up to cat 5 rated
maintenance - no routine cleaning or maint required
efficiency degradation - warranted not to exceed 0.59% per year, so when these are paid off in 20 yrs, they should have lost max 12% energy production efficiency.
Solar Offset - the goal is to replace 100% of power company use with solar. My proposed set up is estimated to replace 102% of my total usage over the last 12 months. PLUS, I am considering replacing my water heater and HVAC at the same time to boost efficiency.
I confirmed the eligibility of 26% solar tax rebate.
Includes a sunlight backup inverter, which feeds 4-8 circuits in the event of a power service outtage during the day. Industry standard is to shut off electricity transmission from the panels in the event of an area service outtage. Protects linemen and systems since solar panels backfeed the grid. My personal opinion is that the cutoff could be put on the service side, isolating the house from the grid so a home can still get power from their panels, but lobbyists have more money than me.
I've also confirmed that using my gas generator (I have an junction outlet to backfeed the house) during an extended outtage, like after a hurricane, won't damage any equipment.

I need to confirm the various warranties because I don't see them in writing on the proposal. There is roof penetration warranty, manufacturer, install, etc.

Edit: Also, my proposed system uses micro inverters instead of 2 central inverters.

Last edited:
I did a search for solar before posting. Didn't find much. We are considering "going solar" and I wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts experiences, drawbacks, etc. I am the person that does a lot of research before jumping in, but "I don't know what I don't know".

I have asked about, and received positive feedback (from the solar company) on the following:

hail resistance - supposedly highly resistant to hail damage
secure roof mounting - up to cat 5 rated
maintenance - no routine cleaning or maint required
efficiency degradation - warranted not to exceed 0.59% per year, so when these are paid off in 20 yrs, they should have lost max 12% energy production efficiency.
Solar Offset - the goal is to replace 100% of power company use with solar. My proposed set up is estimated to replace 102% of my total usage over the last 12 months. PLUS, I am considering replacing my water heater and HVAC at the same time to boost efficiency.
I confirmed the eligibility of 26% solar tax rebate.
Includes a sunlight backup inverter, which feeds 4-8 circuits in the event of a power service outtage during the day. Industry standard is to shut off electricity transmission from the panels in the event of an area service outtage. Protects linemen and systems since solar panels backfeed the grid. My personal opinion is that the cutoff could be put on the service side, isolating the house from the grid so a home can still get power from their panels, but lobbyists have more money than me.
I've also confirmed that using my gas generator (I have an junction outlet to backfeed the house) during an extended outtage, like after a hurricane, won't damage any equipment.

I need to confirm the various warranties because I don't see them in writing on the proposal. There is roof penetration warranty, manufacturer, install, etc.

Edit: Also, my proposed system uses micro inverters instead of 2 central inverters.

Most of that looks pretty good. I have had a terrible experience with microinverters, I think directly related to hot climate, but supposedly they have fixed a lot of the issues.

Are they Enphase?

Most of that looks pretty good. I have had a terrible experience with microinverters, I think directly related to hot climate, but supposedly they have fixed a lot of the issues.

Are they Enphase?
They are Enphase. IQ8-60-2-US. I've been reading that, while the central inverters have been around longer, using the micro is better for the system overall and should last longer. I haven't read about any general failures overall. Is there something else I should be reading?

Looks like 25yr production warranty for the panels, inverters, mounting system and install workmanship.

I'm not an expert but I've had solar installed on both the homes I've owned in the last 20 years. My lessons learned are:

1. Choose quality over quantity with your PV cells. PV cells have advanced a lot over the last dozen years. When my first unit was installed the max PV output was 220 W. Today I think you can get up to 350 W but its more about the makeup of the PV cells then output. Ask your PV provider if they are quoting you poly or monocrystalline or thin film panels? crystalline PV cells can generate more wattage in smaller areas but there are some draw backs especially with shade, price and how the PV cells are tied (microinverters ). IMO you would get better return with crystalline cells as long as you are not dealing with shade issues or price. Also if you want to expand your system down the road film panels could be a restriction as they are not as easy to move.
Ask the provide if the PV cells have been "independently" tested and verified. As an example TUV IEC 61215 confirms that the solar panels have gone through testing by an independent laboratory and have met their advertised specifications. Other certification types are often self-assessed. Therefore, they rely on the company being honest. Since a ton of PV cells come from overseas (China)... You get the point.
2. Have your provider provide you information on the inverter efficiency they are quoting you. Not all inverters are the same and a lower quality inverter, while "rated" the same will put less power back into your system. Nothing worse than paying for 280 W PV panels yet the inverter cannot keep up with the output.
3. Make sure you understand your warranty (installation, service and repair). A 25 year warranty isn't worth crap if the installer or company goes under. Also get you provider to tell you who is going to be installing and servicing. If they are independents do a BBB check on those independent providers. A lot of solar companies are just selling the PV's and Inverters and contracting out everything else. This could bite you in a time of need. IMO a there are few solar providers that are full service but if you can find one then much better IMO.
4. You are in Florida so hurricane rating systems for the roof racking units are likely regulated by the State. However, you'd be surprised how some States have minimal standards.
5. Powerwall is the only way to go if you are considering a battery system. I've had a deep cycle backup before and IMO nothing can compare with the ease of install, expandability and connection ability of the Tesla system.

Pros - It is a true Maintenace free system.
Cons - Extremely high upfront costs. Solar providers go bust at an alarming high rate thus impacting service.

I decided against the power wall or any other battery backup. For now anyway.
I just got one. Enough to run the basics at night and in the event of a power outage. They are terribly expensive and may only last a decade but much cheaper than installing a whole home generator.

Sounds convincing
He also says it’s common knowledge, at least on his rig, that you could cut down every tree on earth and it won’t make a bit of difference. Apparently oxygen comes from the oceans and rivers. That’s where all the oxygen is. The theory is that water is made from oxygen therefore when water evaporates all the oxygen goes back into the air.

He also says it’s common knowledge, at least on his rig, that you could cut down every tree on earth and it won’t make a bit of difference. Apparently oxygen comes from the oceans and rivers. That’s where all the oxygen is. The theory is that water is made from oxygen therefore when water evaporates all the oxygen goes back into the air.
Does he mean all the water on the flat earth returns to the ether?

How else would you explain all the guys on the rig being able breathe without any trees around?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom