Respect/Tolerance (1 Viewer)

tenordas

Vesti le procè flamber
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Houston via New Jersey, New Orleans, Baton Rouge,
I came across this blog/article/opinion/whatever it is while hunting for something else.

Daily Kos: I will NOT respect your beliefs....

JDonk made a comment in another thread about a 'new mantra' of "I don't have to respect your belief if it's full of hate". I couldn't help think of that comment while reading this article. Should I not respect this person because the hatred and revile she holds for believers? It is certainly right out in the open for all to see and she doesn't mince words about it.

However, I do respect her opinion and even understand how she got there. I don't agree with her, but I understand her revulsion of religion (I have revulsion toward "religion" in many ways myself and choose G-d every time instead) and as a result of that revulsion, her animosity toward all who hold belief systems. I would enjoy talking with her at length on the subject.

I am reminded also of Les Miserables and the characters within it (especially since I just recently saw the new film version of the musical). One of the main themes of the book is the difference between the true spiritualism of redemption represented by the Bishop versus the legalism of Javert and the social justice legalism of Enjolras. Both Javert and Enjolras are differing pictures of intolerance from the different sides of society while Valjean and the Bishop represents tolerance and acceptance, even of the view of the man sworn to catch him. It's a tough line to walk and calls for accepting and, yes, even respecting, people who refuse to accept you in any way. I think it's a lesson the author of that article would do well to hear.

Paul said, "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." He didn't say consider others whose beliefs you admire better than yourselves, he said others, meaning everyone. My job as a servant of the L-rd is to be a servant to all, not to ask them first to adhere to some criteria I have made before showing them respect and love, which they deserve as G-d's created children whether they believe in him or not.

Saintshizzle

G.O.M.A.B
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody click on that and Liberty University popped up? LMAO!

Severum

Staff member
Administrator
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Paul said, "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." He didn't say consider others whose beliefs you admire better than yourselves, he said others, meaning everyone. My job as a servant of the L-rd is to be a servant to all, not to ask them first to adhere to some criteria I have made before showing them respect and love, which they deserve as G-d's created children whether they believe in him or not.
Do you respect and love Barack Obama?

RebSaint

Lint smoker
Reaction score
Of course, I could be just misreading the whole thing, but this blog post is a thought-provoking, albeit rambling implicit condemnation of organized religion's wish to force their particular views on everybody else.

The piece also emphasized reciprocity, which ironically is a moral ethic which is taught by most of the major religions of the world, east and west.

The piece also lacks context. Respect according to when, where, why, whom and where? This individual would be way out of bounds if he or she chose to attend a worship service or a church which traditions, ceremonies, and respect is expected. It really sounds like a poorly written, rambling condemnation of organized religion without context or explanation. I'm pretty sure Atheists throughout history within their families and friends have bowed their heads at the dinner table or taken communion just like gays have passed through the ranks of the military and blacks have bowed down and said "yes massa" to their betters throughout history. Context. I'm also pretty sure that there's been enough horse-shed Christianity through marriage or experience based on mutual respect of the dominant culture. My sense is that this piece is to against the grain to this individual's upbringing, but it's just not stated very well.

There's no real coherent thesis here, but a few thought provoking statements which could produce a somewhat fruitful discussion.

I doubt it would take place here, though.

thefredman63

Very Banned
Reaction score
iF YOU HATE IT OR DONT UNDERSTAND IT, GET RID OF IT.....one of the many progressive mantras out there

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heck, I even prayed for him when I met him. Seriously.

I don't agree with some of the things he does/believes, but he's the leader of our country, and I'll pray for him until he leaves office.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW, when I was in college I was completely disillusioned with Christianity and religion in general. Part of it was the whole Jimmy Swaggert deal and of course seeing the hypocrisy of many people regardless of faith. I think I understand where most people are coming from.

I've learned over time that hypocrites no more represent the Church than Sandusky represents coaches in college football. There are just more of them.

I think there can be a productive discussion. It's a topic that I think will become discussed more. The whole tolerance/intolerance thing is often hard to discuss because it means different things to different people.

I'd argue that disagreeing with someone else's beliefs is not intolerance, but simply a difference of opinion. Some people would say I'm intolerant because I call some things sin. I would disagree. But I do understand where people are coming from because of past experiences shaping their view of pastors/preachers/religious leaders.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't it ironic that the person who posted this rEEdiculous post is one who completely destroys anything that comes from Obama despite not being in lockstep with the right and who also confuses many of the asserted Obama policies?

I find it interesting that a post like this would come from one who has overtly professed to being anti-Obama not because of the policy, but because of the man.

Irony.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The thing is the expected and actual tolerance is quite asymmetrical, for obvious reasons that the one belief system is based on. You don't have millions of atheists taking a year off from college to go visit churches to convince them they're doing the wrong thing. You don't have parents telling their children, "We're going to grandpa's house, and he's an atheist, so make sure to drop a few GD's if something goes wrong." You don't have atheists wanting to share with you how their lives have changed since they've freed themselves of religious doctrine. The ultimate irony is that Christianity was born of persecution literally, and spent centuries that way. Now we're going on over a millennium and a half of rejecting the golden rule and in general being intolerant.

I'm not an atheist, but I despise the vast majority of religious institutions and what I see generally as a misunderstanding of the message they think they're spreading.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Severum

Staff member
Administrator
Tech-Admin
Reaction score

I don't agree with some of the things he does/believes, but he's the leader of our country, and I'll pray for him until he leaves office.
Anyone that's familiar with your PDB posts should know that you approach politics from a respectful, thoughtful, and factual perspective.

RussTKD

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

After that he's on his own?

:ezbill:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom