Responsibility for D falls on Payton (1 Viewer)

He said historically bad. Our special teams have been nothing of the kind.

Jesus. Just nominally bad then. Or generally bad. Or... objectively BAD.

You're nitpicking. Morestead has been the only consistent performer for years.

He said historically bad. Our special teams have been nothing of the kind.
I think what he meant is historically they don't add much...they don't help us win.

When was the last time we had a kick return for a TD, or long return to the red zone? When was the last time we forced a fumble?

Morestead does his job but we see the FG kicker follies, which has a significant negative impact.

When the kicker situation becomes a running joke and you have defense that actually IS historically bad in terms of the history of the professional game of football...that is 2/3 of your program dragging you down.

If you didn't have a Brees, you would probably have one of the worst overall teams of all time and that is the risk we face if something happens to Brees or he hits the wall.

Payton minus Brees does not look like someone to build a competitive team in a world without a Brees. Do his offenses run the ball well? FG kicker situation is in fact a running joke. Defense is horrendous.

How is he going win football games with, say, a Ryan Tannehill under center?

Jesus. Just nominally bad then. Or generally bad. Or... objectively BAD.

You're nitpicking. Morestead has been the only consistent performer for years.

No, they've been average. People are just upset after a loss and aren't thinking clearly. People are frustrated with the defensive issues and are mad that the special teams aren't helping to overcome some of those flaws. But the special teams units under Payton haven't been bad.

My hatred for John Jenkins was justified again today ... that big 60+ yd TD by the raiders 3rd string RB came by his side where he got tossed around easily as usual by their left guard AS USUAL ... people love him on this forum ... dunno why

I saw that, but it also looked like Vaccaro got held.

No, they've been average. People are just upset after a loss and aren't thinking clearly. People are frustrated with the defensive issues and are mad that the special teams aren't helping to overcome some of those flaws. But the special teams units under Payton haven't been bad.
Is the FG kicker on Special Teams?

maybe our defensive players just suck? how many coordinators are we gonna have?

EXACTLY .... At what point do we wake up? We have gone through new defensive coaches and nothing has changed.

We have to put some of the blame if not the majority of it past the D-coordinator position. It comes to horrible player decisions and roster moves and that has to blamed on Sean and front office.

Plus we have to start getting rid of some of this dead weight on defense.

Yes, and even factoring that in, they've been average as a unit.

Bottom 3 in FG% 2 of last 3 years. Worst in punt return average 2014. 7th worst in 2013. Pretty objectively bad most years.

He's been here for a decade.

OK, you win, he's managed the Saints special teams situation very well. We had a miss and a partially blocked kick today (I'll forgive the missed 60 yarder). We have bigger fish to fry, I suppose, so who cares if we have the same FG kicker on the roster for more than 2 years?

Have a good night's sleep regarding our solid special teams situation. You're nitpicking and it's ridiculous.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom