Restaurant Rec’s Chicago (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Headed to Chicago for the game, looking for good places to get a real taste of Chicago

I hope you like hot dogs and pizza.

Well, of you're going to be there over the weekend I know that www.standardbarandgrill.com is the spot to watch LSU games. I would assume Saints games get plenty of attention as well if things fall through for the game for some unknown reason.

Lou Malnati's Pizzeria for your pizza. That's what I have been told by natives is the real deal and that's where I go. Al's Beef or Johnny's Beef for hot Italian beef sandwiches.

There are plenty of good steakhouses like Swift and Sons, Chicago Cut, Bavette's Bar and Boeuf, Kinzie Chophouse and Gibson's. I hear good things about Duck, Duck, Goat if you want to veer away from traditional Chicago food. I don't really care for Italian food, but I hear people speak well of Chicago's Italian food.

We have some Chicago folks around here that will chime in soon...

Last edited:
I second Lou Malnati... We went for LSU V Wisc and stayed in Chicago. Waited about 90 min for table. But we drank a lot. Lol

Also went to RPM steakhouse... They had a "boot ribyeye" that of course was sold out lol. Also had waygu. It was quite fantastic.

Too bad baseball over as an L train ride to Wrigley woulda been a must.

Have fun... It's a cool city.

Some really good super high end stuff there (Alinea, Next, Aviary, (all the same group) and among others) which probably isn't what you want.

Billy Goat Tavern is the place Belushi's cheeseburger skit is based off of. That place is fun.

Lou Malnati's spinach, mushroom, buttercrust is my favorite pizza.

Get an Italian beef from somewhere. Al's is good. Baptize it with giardiniera.

Pequod's pizza is the place that I always hear about but whenever I date a woman from the city they don't want pizza.

Carson's is solid BBQ. Think it's a chain though, but I'm pretty sure this is the place my cousin used to work at and would take us.

A lot of places people have mentioned are on this list. I just realized.. I haven't eaten in Chicago much. Usually it's a bar that happens to have food. Lots of drinks though...

I'm a fan of Chicago Dogs.. I like having everything on there.

I am not a fan of Deep Dish Pizza, but I do like regular chicago style pizzas..

Otherwise, a lot of Deli's will remind you of a NYC deli, in terms of corned beef, pastrami, roast beef etc.

Pequod's (never been.. now I wanna go), and a few others are a bit of a hike. Depends on where you're staying and how your'e getting around. The Southside is a bit quite for great food.

Portillo's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw this place a few years back on Diners Drive-in's and Dives. Never been, but that rotisserie pork has me really wanting to try it. IIRC, the owners travel back to Mexico to source all their spices. They marinate some pork shoulder in the spices and chipolte, then layer it with onions on a rotisserie and slice it to order much like a chicken shwarma.

If I was going to be near, I'd definitely try one of those cemitas.

We go every year but are creatures of habit. Ditkas for steaks and Giordano's for pizza. We did do Harry Carey's last time and it was pretty good. Gotta do the original Billy goat if you're old enough to remember the SNL skits.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom