Restructuring of Drew Brees' contract now could create major headaches later (1 Viewer)

Why are folks worried about cap hits 3 or 4 years from now. Loomis gets paid mega bucks to worry about that stuff. We'll probbaly have to go through a little rebuilding period towards the later periods of Drew's contract but hey it happens to every team.

I said redo contract tear it up and start over.

he probably held out til july with the current deal taking possibly a year or more to complete because he didnt really care about the length, money, or structure being negotiated.

Why are folks worried about cap hits 3 or 4 years from now. Loomis gets paid mega bucks to worry about that stuff. We'll probbaly have to go through a little rebuilding period towards the later periods of Drew's contract but hey it happens to every team.

im not going nuts upset about it, but when you get down to it... it is a pill to swallow.

Just not worried about it, these team needs to learn how to draft better anyways, and stop overpaying players. We are still suffering from that Will Smith contract and suffered for years from that C.Grant contract. Im all for paying your great players, just make sure they are great.

Well tell him of he doesn't he will never win other Super Bowl. Brady redid his to help the team, your telling me drew is that selfish?? He made over 50 million last year form endorments.

We don't need him to do anything with his contract this year. We can save almost all of the money from Will Smith and Jon Vilma.

Then we have about 4-5 other players they can tweak or cut to save the rest.

Loomis will figure it out and the team doesn't need us calling anyone Selfish when they are in the second year of their new 5 year contract and they haven't even been asked to restructure!!!!!!!

im not going nuts upset about it, but when you get down to it... it is a pill to swallow.

Exactly...you can sit here and think ML is a magician all you want (and I respect him), but there's only so much you can do as a GM. I think we should have began looking for his replacement yesterday. I love DB and he's the greatest thing to ever happen to NOLA, but at some point we have to love our franchise before him. I was a Saints fan WAY before DB and he's spoiled me to be honest about things. I'm used to winning now and I expect it. BUT, I will be a die hard fan with or without DB (when he's gone). A cap hit of $30 mil will demolish our franchise for years, if he doesn't agree to do something about his contract.---speaking about two or so years in the future....

Question about the salary cap. I've been under the impression that the salary cap is going to increase significantly in a couple of years when the new tv contract is up. Florio states in his article that there is not going to be a big bump in the cap. What has changed? I thought that was why we backloaded Brees' contract.

Exactly...you can sit here and think ML is a magician all you want (and I respect him), but there's only so much you can do as a GM. I think we should have began looking for his replacement yesterday. I love DB and he's the greatest thing to ever happen to NOLA, but at some point we have to love our franchise before him. I was a Saints fan WAY before DB and he's spoiled me to be honest about things. I'm used to winning now and I expect it. BUT, I will be a die hard fan with or without DB (when he's gone). A cap hit of $30 mil will demolish our franchise for years, if he doesn't agree to do something about his contract.---speaking about two or so years in the future....

LOL, it wont "demolish a franchise for years" You just have to tighten your belt, it hurts but it is what it is. Once you take the hit, its over, and you move on. You guys act like there will be going out of business signs on the Facility on Airline.

We are in a frozen cap era. Things are going to be tight. There will be no free agency spashes. We need to keep the roster rotating with young cheap players like the Packers do. With the frozen cap, the days of resigning your players will be a thing of the past IMO. You might keep a chosen few like your QB and the elite guys, but those guys cost elite money.

Not saying Loomis is a magician, he knows the ramifications of what he does, and at the end of the day, he is the one that has to answer for it.

Question about the salary cap. I've been under the impression that the salary cap is going to increase significantly in a couple of years when the new tv contract is up. Florio states in his article that there is not going to be a big bump in the cap. What has changed? I thought that was why we backloaded Brees' contract.

Seems as if our FO is banking on it and not many people close to the league think it's going to happen (Florio). There's no way we can afford to pay 1 player ~30 mil for one season. That's 1/4 of our total salary cap.

Seems as if our FO is banking on it and not many people close to the league think it's going to happen (Florio). There's no way we can afford to pay 1 player ~30 mil for one season. That's 1/4 of our total salary cap.

We arent paying him 30 mil in a season, but thats the cap hit.

Not saying Loomis is a magician, he knows the ramifications of what he does, and at the end of the day, he is the one that has to answer for it.

I agree about ML and I think he can work wonders. But when one player has a salary of 30 million, it makes it REALLY hard to fill the roster with even average players.

Well, yeah that's what I mean. Sorry I didn't clarify it. He's worth it in a perfect world, but we need to have other players on the team too. I would hate to have ML's job.

Yeah, I know. Its tough trying to slice the peice of pie. But its had to find great QB's in this league. When Brees is done we'll be going through headache of trying to find another one and will wish we had a guy worth those big cap hits.

Are we can just stick with him and finish off his contract because we won't be able to cut him, do you know the cap hit on 29 million wow that!!

The Saints will be able to cut him just like any other player. His contract is really a 3 year 61 million dollar deal with a team option for the 4th and 5th years. If his performance doesn't match his pay he will be cut or forced to sign a lesser deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom