Retired Saints numbers (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Can somebody explain to my why Doug Atkins and Jim Taylor are retired Saints numbers? They are both HOF players, but they have a combined 4 seasons on the Saints, and were past their primes when on the Saints. Were either of these guys even in the top 100 Saints players ever?

Jim Taylor was #31 wasn’t he? So was Chris Banjo 🤔

I think #9 will be the first retired number in franchise history

Atkins’ and Taylor’s numbers are only ceremoniously retired since they’re still readily given out to active players. 7 players have worn #31 since Taylor did and 12 players have donned the #81 since Atkins (according to PFR).

While the team hasn’t officially retired any number, #8 is the only number that hasn’t been given out since Archie wore it but it also hasn’t been formally retired either. I’d wager that #9 will join it in short order.

Can somebody explain to my why Doug Atkins and Jim Taylor are retired Saints numbers? They are both HOF players, but they have a combined 4 seasons on the Saints, and were past their primes when on the Saints. Were either of these guys even in the top 100 Saints players ever?
Haha, you’re right that their time with the Saints was relatively unremarkable, but there was so little for the team to crow about those first 20 years that I think they were desperate enough to ride the coattails of their previous success.

By the way, you should try to dig up some clips of Atkins in his prime with the Bears — he truly fit the description of “a man among boys”. His was my first number playing pee wee football — #81!!!

Haha, you’re right that their time with the Saints was relatively unremarkable, but there was so little for the team to crow about those first 20 years that I think they were desperate enough to ride the coattails of their previous success.

By the way, you should try to dig up some clips of Atkins in his prime with the Bears — he truly fit the description of “a man among boys”. His was my first number playing pee wee football — #81!!!
This. I think now that we have players in the Hall that are mainly associated with the Saints, past and present, I see them Un retiring those numbers and putting up other numbers that have a main association with the franchise.

Atkins’ and Taylor’s numbers are only ceremoniously retired since they’re still readily given out to active players. 7 players have worn #31 since Taylor did and 12 players have donned the #81 since Atkins (according to PFR).

While the team hasn’t officially retired any number, #8 is the only number that hasn’t been given out since Archie wore it but it also hasn’t been formally retired either. I’d wager that #9 will join it in short order.

All number retirements are only ceremonial now in the NFL. The NFL won't let teams officially retire numbers. You have to use them if there are not enough numbers available for a position group. That's the only reason the number 57 is still given out. I recall that the only number the Saints' now retired equipment guy, Silky Powell, refused to give out was number 8. But, he was just lucky that only QBs, kickers, and punters wear single digit numbers so he never had to give it out.

However, I now suspect that number 9 may never be worn again and that number 8 will be worn before number 9.

However, I now suspect that number 9 may never be worn again and that number 8 will be worn before number 9.

I think Obert Logan’s and Kenny Burroughs’ numbers are safe also. :hihi:

I agree as should #37

I wince when I see a new Saints player wear 57.

I know. Really all of The Dome Patrol numbers. I gotta say though, Vilma wore that #51 well. Field Mouse would've been proud.

They can't retire all of their numbers but for the life of me I can't figure out why they don't have statues or something to celebrate their greatness. It seems like something that would've been done a long time ago. Before 2006 they were one of the few things Saints fans could take pride in. We had the best LB corp in NFL history! We could hang our hat on that. I don;t want to see them fade into obscurity. Honor those 4 men. I don't care if the Panthers claim Sam Mills. He spent 9 years with us and 3 years with them. He will always be a Saint to me.

I know. Really all of The Dome Patrol numbers. I gotta say though, Vilma wore that #51 well. Field Mouse would've been proud.

They can't retire all of their numbers but for the life of me I can't figure out why they don't have statues or something to celebrate their greatness. It seems like something that would've been done a long time ago. Before 2006 they were one of the few things Saints fans could take pride in. We had the best LB corp in NFL history! We could hang our hat on that. I don;t want to see them fade into obscurity. Honor those 4 men. I don't care if the Panthers claim Sam Mills. He spent 9 years with us and 3 years with them. He will always be a Saint to me.
He was also a coach with them. Son coached with the Panthers ((now with WFT)). But, this is what ring of honors and banners are for IMO. I'm not a fan of retiring numbers in football just because theres a limited amount for a team that will field 90 in camp and over 60 in the season. I do agree more statues, ring of honor, etc.

All number retirements are only ceremonial now in the NFL. The NFL won't let teams officially retire numbers. You have to use them if there are not enough numbers available for a position group. That's the only reason the number 57 is still given out. I recall that the only number the Saints' now retired equipment guy, Silky Powell, refused to give out was number 8. But, he was just lucky that only QBs, kickers, and punters wear single digit numbers so he never had to give it out.

who is the dude in the blue vest that catches the punts (pregame etc.)? he needs his sheet retired. never seen him drop one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom