Return man--This is too easy (1 Viewer)

I'd rather Spiller be on offense than return kicks and punts. Injury to him would not help us at all. Risk/Reward

We used Reggie Bush for returns for years when we needed a spark, so I'm all for Spiller returning. He has looked better than he ever has in New Orleans, so I'd love to see him get more touches. Lasco would be a good second choice. Both are faster than TLL and Murphy. TLL looked pretty good, but I think Spiller would be far better.

In the preseason you are playing not to get hurt in a meaningless game.

CJ Spiller is an absolute monster in open space returning kicks.

I can not fathom why he isn't given the job no questions asked.

Watching him this preseason, he's healthy as well as having the acceleration speed back.

IF the reason not to have him there is to prevent injury......THAT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Are we playing to win....or are we playing to not get injured?

The Rams will use Gurley on kickoff returns...and I love that plan.

Returns can change a game, so if you have a weapon (which we most certainly do in CJ), USE IT!!!!!!

I'd rather Spiller be on offense than return kicks and punts. Injury to him would not help us at all. Risk/Reward

I seriously don't understand this thinking.

You say it as if it's likely that he'd get injured if he returned kicks.

Has there been an unbelievable rash of special team returners being injured while returning?

Wouldn't it be JUST AS EASY to be injured on any given play?

I don't recall Murphy getting injured on a return.

Or Cadet.

I understand the idea that gunners get a 60 yard head start to pop you...but it doesn't happen that way.

In the preseason you are playing not to get hurt in a meaningless game.

That's true, and I'd be all for that, IF they used Spiller for returns when it counts.

Some are saying Lasco?

We have CJ Freakin Spiller, one of the better return guys in the last decade, sitting in our stable......and people would rather try a rookie running back that doesn't return kicks?

His rookie season, 2010, he had 12 punt returns....and he took 5 of them back 20 or more yards.

Game-changer.

He had 8 fair catches, and numerous punts out of bounds because he was such a threat.

Why is it crazy to not want him to get hurt? I thought we were nuts putting Reggie back there except for special circumstances (obviously the Arizona game paid off..)

With his injury history, it would be dumb to risk him as a returner right now - most dangerous spot on the roster.

Why is it crazy to not want him to get hurt? I thought we were nuts putting Reggie back there except for special circumstances (obviously the Arizona game paid off..)

With his injury history, it would be dumb to risk him as a returner right now - most dangerous spot on the roster.

If he's performing in the regular offense and giving us a real asset to protect - yes, I think you could be right. But if he isn't really giving us that except in small doses, maybe returns would give him more touches to help the team and his value. I guess we don't really know at this point.

Not really. He does not get a ton of snaps on offense, so if he can change a game in the return game, it makes sense to use him there.

When is the last time we had a returner hurt while returning a kickoff?

I know conventional wisdom says "don't risk him!" but I think the risk is not that big of a deal and the reward could be game changing.

Punt returners don't get injured any more than any other player at any other position.

If you have a weapon, use him!!!

When is the last time we had a returner hurt while returning a kickoff?

I know conventional wisdom says "don't risk him!" but I think the risk is not that big of a deal and the reward could be game changing.

I'm leaning more towards the let him return punts group, buuuut does no one remember the fallout to Reggie breaking his leg in a punt return against the 49's in week 2 of the 2010 season?

We've been stacked at RB ever since.

Good observation on using Spiller. It sure looks like he is back to his pre injury speed and movement and in terms of offense he will not be an every down player, but a role guy probably on third downs. To use him in the return game will give him more touches in a game. You always hear that you need to get the ball in the hands of your playmakers and special teams would sure be a way to do that with Spiller this year.

Spiller is more than likely our kickoff returner when the season starts. No reason to put him back there right now and risk losing him for the season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom