Returning from IR (1 Viewer)

Jtek74

saints2dashow
Reaction score
All,
I am not too sure of the IR rules anymore but I know there are a lot of you that are. Also, I bet there are quite a few people like me that don't know either.
So, assuming the injured players heal, who can we expect back in uniform this year?
Sheldon Rankins?
Delvin Breaux?
PJ Williams?
Damian Swann?
Hau'Oli Kikaha?
Could Keenan Lewis be resigned if healthy?
Any others that I am missing?

Thanks!
Jtek

*Whodatcolston raised another good question, I am not even sure if these guys are actually on IR or just injured and taking a roster spot?

Rankins is the only one coming back. Not sure if Keenan will get healthy this season. Maybe next year, but with what he said about Allen on his way out I doubt he'll be welcomed back.

Breaux is not on IR.

All,
I am not too sure of the IR rules anymore but I know there are a lot of you that are. Also, I bet there are quite a few people like me that don't know either.
So, assuming the injured players heal, who can we expect back in uniform this year?
Sheldon Rankins?
Delvin Breaux?
PJ Williams?
Damian Swann?
Hau'Oli Kikaha?
Could Keenan Lewis be resigned if healthy?
Any others that I am missing?

Thanks!
Jtek

*Whodatcolston raised another good question, I am not even sure if these guys are actually on IR or just injured and taking a roster spot?

Just so we're clear - only one player can come off of IR during the season (and under specific rules). So regardless of who gets healthy, only one player can do it.

Rankins, who was on the original 53-man roster, will be eligible to return to practice after week 6 and eligible to play after week 8. Payton said that Rankins would be back, so he is the one they will bring back from IR.

For all intents and purposes, I consider Keenan Lewis retired. Papers filed or not.

I expect nothing at all from Swann, PJ Williams, or Kikaha going forward -- this season or any future seasons. Can't think of any players that were hurt a lot early in their careers that went on to help their squads later on.

Lewis had posted some pictures on social media indicating he had to additional surgery (I imagine it took getting cut then being told "no thanks" by Pittsburgh before he believed this), so I doubt we see him back this season. He's indicated as much.

Kikaha is on PUP as opposed to IR, so after week 6 (?) we have to decide to IR him for the season, or allow him to return. He likely won't be back, but it doesn't hurt to leave him on PUP and IR him later.

With Rankins the obvious choice to come back, Williams and Swann are both done for the season. In Williams' case, this is probably for the best.

Rankins, who was on the original 53-man roster, will be eligible to return to practice after week 6 and eligible to play after week 8. Payton said that Rankins would be back, so he is the one they will bring back from IR.

Actually, the rule was tweaked this off season. He'll be eligible to play after being on IR for 6 weeks. They changed it from the practice after six and play after 8 thing when they took away the designation.

There was a link posted from PFT last week that clarified all this but I have no idea what thread that was in anymore. That article quoted the new rule and is the only one I've seen discussing it. Maybe I can find it with a google search. I'll give it a go.

EDIT: Found it...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/23/rule-change-could-add-strategy-to-bringing-a-player-back-from-ir/

A rule change passed Wednesday morning basically eliminates the injured reserve – desginated for return list but does not eliminate the rule allowing one player per team, per season to return to action from the injured reserve list.

Now, teams can simply choose a player who’s been on injured reserve for at least six weeks and activate him once he’s healthy enough to play again.

Still only one player per season may be activated from injured reserve, but the team does not need to designate that player when he’s placed on IR. In the past, if a player was hurt in the preseason or early in the regular season, teams would have decide whether to use the return designation — or, in some cases, whether to place the player on IR at all until it had a clear timetable for a potential return.

ETA: This whole post is incorrect as pointed out by another member on the next page of this thread based on the actual minutes from the owners meetings discussing the IR designation rule changes. Sorry, guys. I obviously wouldn't have posted this if I had known that it was false information.

Actually, the rule was tweaked this off season. He'll be eligible to play after being on IR for 6 weeks. They changed it from the practice after six and play after 8 thing when they took away the designation.

There was a link posted from PFT last week that clarified all this but I have no idea what thread that was in anymore. That article quoted the new rule and is the only one I've seen discussing it. Maybe I can find it with a google search. I'll give it a go.

EDIT: Found it...

Rule change could add strategy to bringing a player back from IR | ProFootballTalk

I thought this too, but then another poster last week pointed out that the 6 or 8 week return distinction was never actually mentioned in the league meetings -- only the "designated to return" label.

Anyway, it's pretty confusing to me -- however, as I said on that thread, it's all relative. Even if Rankins returned to the roster after six weeks, the odds of him being game ready prior to 8 weeks is pretty slim anyway.

For all intents and purposes, I consider Keenan Lewis retired. Papers filed or not.

I expect nothing at all from Swann, PJ Williams, or Kikaha going forward -- this season or any future seasons. Can't think of any players that were hurt a lot early in their careers that went on to help their squads later on.

Thomas Davis tore his ACL 3 times in 3 years.. Look at him now

PJ Williams simply had a wicked concussion. He probably didn't need to be IRed for the remainder of the season, but considering the circumstances Payton did it for his long term health. There is absolutely no reason he shouldn't expect a long and healthy career. Kikaha has now had 3 issues with the knee. The original injury, the original surgery which was a failure and needed to be redone, and now this one. Fortunately, according to Payton, he has had no other injuries to knee structure, so once his knee is fixed, this time I assume for good, there is no reason he shouldn't be good going forward. With no injury to the cartilage, there is no reason to assume future problems. Swann had a series of concussions, which were his first ones according to his public statements. His injury this year, sports hernia, if I remember correctly can be repaired and continue fine, it just takes time to heal correctly. Given that time, it is reasonable to believe he will have no future issues either. Lewis had numerous hip issues, he is in all likelihood done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think Kikaha was ever put on IR, btw. There's an outside chance he comes back. Seems they did it because he only partially tore the ACL then.

Also, Rankins is the one we're bringing back.

so if Kikaha was not put on IR he could come back. We just have to cut someone?
Delvin can comeback but we need to cut someone?
Rankins should be back, but do we need to cut someone?

No one else has a chance to come back this year?

Jtek

Kikaha is on the PUP list. At some point (week8?) he either needs to be IR or activated I believe. Yes if he came back someone would have to be cut.

Delvin is on the active roster. No cuts and can come back whenever.

Rankins week 6 reactivate, will need to cut someone when transferred to active roster.

No one else will be back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom