Returning from IR (1 Viewer)

For all intents and purposes, I consider Keenan Lewis retired. Papers filed or not.

I expect nothing at all from Swann, PJ Williams, or Kikaha going forward -- this season or any future seasons. Can't think of any players that were hurt a lot early in their careers that went on to help their squads later on.

I can't argue on Swann or Kikaha but on Williams that's not the case. There is no one on the face of the Earth that would've taken the shot he didamd not get injured.v

Kikaha is on the PUP list. At some point (week8?) he either needs to be IR or activated I believe. Yes if he came back someone would have to be cut.

Delvin is on the active roster. No cuts and can come back whenever.

Rankins week 6 reactivate, will need to cut someone when transferred to active roster.

No one else will be backs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so if Kikaha was not put on IR he could come back. We just have to cut someone?
Delvin can comeback but we need to cut someone?
Rankins should be back, but do we need to cut someone?

No one else has a chance to come back this year?

Jtek

We wouldn't have to cut anyone when Breaux comes back as I think he's still being carried on the active roster, he's just been listed as a weekly inactive come game time.

For all intents and purposes, I consider Keenan Lewis retired. Papers filed or not.

I expect nothing at all from Swann, PJ Williams, or Kikaha going forward -- this season or any future seasons. Can't think of any players that were hurt a lot early in their careers that went on to help their squads later on.

Ninkovich

Actually, the rule was tweaked this off season. He'll be eligible to play after being on IR for 6 weeks. They changed it from the practice after six and play after 8 thing when they took away the designation.

There was a link posted from PFT last week that clarified all this but I have no idea what thread that was in anymore. That article quoted the new rule and is the only one I've seen discussing it. Maybe I can find it with a google search. I'll give it a go.

EDIT: Found it...

Rule change could add strategy to bringing a player back from IR | ProFootballTalk

I disagree with what you wrote above and the article you cited. I’ve posted about this very subject before. After all the research I have done on this subject, including reading the actual NFL by-law meeting minutes, I have come to the conclusion that the 2016 change to the IR rule means that, without prior designation, one of the a team's IR list players (in the Saints case Rankins) can be brought back to the roster for practice after 6 weeks, but cannot actually play in a game until week 8. In my opinion, Rankins will need to practice with the Saints for 2 weeks before he can be active in game.
Here is the exact quote on the subject that I got from the NFL Owners meeting minutes:

"Clarification on the designated to return rule. I think right now, a player can come back after six weeks-practice after six, play after eight. Is that totally eliminated? Can a player come back to practice, be declared that player on Friday and play on Sunday?

The rule as it was written is exactly the same. In other words there’s no change in the six weeks, no change in the eight weeks, no change in any of that language. The difference is you don’t have to designate that player until the day you’re going to bring that player back to practice. The day you’re going to bring that player back to practice after those six weeks, you submit to the league the name, and that player then becomes your designated to return. It’s a good idea by Buffalo, and I think it will serve the clubs well."

So I think it’s clear based on the above quote from the Owner’s Meeting Minutes that Rankins cannot be play in a game until week 8 – if he starts practicing week 6. I've attached a copy of the Owner's Meeting Transcript if you're interested. Pages 2 and 4 address the IR rule.

Attachments

• 3-23-16%20Goodell%20and%20McKay%20Owners%20Meetings.pdf
    201 KB · Views: 3
I think Rankins and Breaux are the only 2 sure to play this season. It just happens they are 2 positions we need most, so I will be impatiently awaiting their return.

I disagree with what you wrote above and the article you cited. I’ve posted about this very subject before. After all the research I have done on this subject, including reading the actual NFL by-law meeting minutes, I have come to the conclusion that the 2016 change to the IR rule means that, without prior designation, one of the a team's IR list players (in the Saints case Rankins) can be brought back to the roster for practice after 6 weeks, but cannot actually play in a game until week 8. In my opinion, Rankins will need to practice with the Saints for 2 weeks before he can be active in game.
Here is the exact quote on the subject that I got from the NFL Owners meeting minutes:

"Clarification on the designated to return rule. I think right now, a player can come back after six weeks-practice after six, play after eight. Is that totally eliminated? Can a player come back to practice, be declared that player on Friday and play on Sunday?

The rule as it was written is exactly the same. In other words there’s no change in the six weeks, no change in the eight weeks, no change in any of that language. The difference is you don’t have to designate that player until the day you’re going to bring that player back to practice. The day you’re going to bring that player back to practice after those six weeks, you submit to the league the name, and that player then becomes your designated to return. It’s a good idea by Buffalo, and I think it will serve the clubs well."

So I think it’s clear based on the above quote from the Owner’s Meeting Minutes that Rankins cannot be play in a game until week 8 – if he starts practicing week 6. I've attached a copy of the Owner's Meeting Transcript if you're interested. Pages 2 and 4 address the IR rule.

Thanks.

I was only going based on what Florio had written about the rule changes which he was obviously incorrect on and that's what I was quoting. I'm surprised he was so sloppy about it considering he's a lawyer and he published his article the same day as the owners meetings minutes were published.

So, Rankins was put on IR on 9/5. Being that today is 10/11, he's been on for 5 weeks already for the most part. After next week, if he's healthy enough, he COULD return to practice and then play two weeks later...That would be ideal.

Thanks.

I was only going based on what Florio had written about the rule changes which he was obviously incorrect on and that's what I was quoting. I'm surprised he was so sloppy about it considering he's a lawyer and he published his article the same day as the owners meetings minutes were published.

So, Rankins was put on IR on 9/5. Being that today is 10/11, he's been on for 5 weeks already for the most part. After next week, if he's healthy enough, he COULD return to practice and then play two weeks later...That would be ideal.

You're welcome. I was surprised too how the reporters missed that considering that there were sports reporters from the major networks at the meeting and the clarification question was asked that addressed this specific point.

You're welcome. I was surprised too how the reporters missed that considering that there were sports reporters from the major networks at the meeting and the clarification question was asked that addressed this specific point.

I just went and left a comment on that article asking why they totally screwed the pooch on that and wrote an entire article that is basically a lie. Asked if there was some additional clarification that wasn't in the minutes or if they just wanted to be FIRST!!!! to report the IR rule change on designations. How they could be so off is amazing since nothing like that appears in the minutes.

Should also be noted, it wasn't written by Florio. I don't think he would've screwed that up. It was written by someone whose name I don't ever really recall seeing on their site last year. You'd think they'd have an editor checking for facts as well as grammar and spelling errors lol.

Man reading this thread just made me angry all over again about what a promising group of young CB's we had in the fold, only to see a pile of them get hurt. :rant:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom