Reviewing a near-home-run play against Huston (1 Viewer)

td2w

Let's go get em
Reaction score
Well I ain't no Baldy or @RevDeuceWindham but I really loved one play against the Texans and I'll try to break it down - (as an amateur fan who knows barely nothing about football)

First Saints drive! Ball on the 50 yard line, 2nd & 7.

Pre-snap, we have Zach Line and Murray in the backfield, with Josh Hill on the move.
1568241218616.png

As McCoy snaps the ball, you can see Josh Hill on the left side, and Zach Line moved towards the right hash as well -
1568241374009.png

Once the ball is snapped, everyone is going left except for Ramczyk. (Murray took half a step left before running to his right) -
1568241876233.png

Once that happened, I guess some of the Texans LBs/DBs think something is going to take place on the left side. Mike Thomas then tries to pick the LB (he didn't make it), Ramczyk just leaves JJ Watt and runs downfield (so does Warford) -
1568242085356.png

Drew passes a high ball to Murray, the Texans LB moved passed Thomas and is now engaged with Ramczyk, and Warford is is free to run downfield -

1568242229141.png

At this point, things already didn't go as planned. The Texans LB did a great job of avoiding the pick from Thomas and the tackle from Ramczyk.
With that being said, the rest of the defenders looked to be taken care of -
1568242482192.png

It ended up with a 1 yard gain, really unfortunate. We can only wonder what if Kamara was the RB on that play.

Yeah I remember that play. The LBer read that play really early and avoided Ram and blew the play up.

I also think if Drew throws that inside forcing Murray to catch it with his chest facing down field, he can setup the block and Ram could’ve taken the LBer out of the play.

That’s one of those near hits that something small like timing or ball placement messed it up.

Yeah I remember that play. The LBer read that play really early and avoided Ram and blew the play up.

I also think if Drew throws that inside forcing Murray to catch it with his chest facing down field, he can setup the block and Ram could’ve taken the LBer out of the play.

That’s one of those near hits that something small like timing or ball placement messed it up.

Exactly, 3 things needed to happen so that this play isn't a TD or a huge gain -

First, Thomas missed his pick (not sure if it would have been a legal pick or not)
Second, the pass wasn't perfect from Brees to Murray, and Murray caught it with his back to the field.
Third, Ramczyk couldn't secure the block (he needed that pick from Thomas last one more second)

I guess, my point is that the Texans were lucky. The next team we try this half-screen on wouldn't be really lucky.

I remember thinking "That linebacker just saved a touchdown"

Nice breakdown. But this illustrates the athleticism of the Texans & why they have played us tough for a while now. I don't like our match ups against the AFC South & the NFC west other than the Cardinals, 49ers at home, & the Colts. The other teams on that schedule always give the Saints problems because of their athleticism on defense. And of course that sends out the critics who always seem to find Old Man Brees is just not what he used to be.

I remember this play. Even though it was a tough situation on Murrays part with the block being thrown into him.... Alvin would have taken it to the house somehow ?

Texans Linebackers played great.

Well I ain't no Baldy or @RevDeuceWindham but I really loved one play against the Texans and I'll try to break it down - (as an amateur fan who knows barely nothing about football)

Pre-snap, we have Zach Line and Murray in the backfield, with Josh Hill on the move.
1568241218616.png

As McCoy snaps the ball, you can see Josh Hill on the left side, and Zach Line moved towards the right hash as well -
1568241374009.png

Once the ball is snapped, everyone is going left except for Ramczyk. (Murray took half a step left before running to his right) -
1568241876233.png

Once that happened, I guess some of the Texans LBs/DBs think something is going to take place on the left side. Mike Thomas then tries to pick the LB (he didn't make it), Ramczyk just leaves JJ Watt and runs downfield (so does Warford) -
1568242085356.png

Drew passes a high ball to Murray, the Texans LB moved passed Thomas and is now engaged with Ramczyk, and Warford is is free to run downfield -

1568242229141.png

At this point, things already didn't go as planned. The Texans LB did a great job of avoiding the pick from Thomas and the tackle from Ramczyk.
1568242482192.png

It ended up with a 1 yard gain, really unfortunate. We can only wonder what if Kamara was the RB on that play.

Exactly

The only thing that went wrong on that play was an exceptional read by the Texan LBer. If it was Kamara it could have been a huge gain, being as he has an incredible knack to bounce off of tackles.

As I do recall the LBer wrapped up pretty well so it could have went the same way.

It really was a great play by the Texan LB

I was listening to Drew on the radio earlier. . On his INT intended for Murray, Bobby asked him why he didn’t put a lil more air under the ball, Drew said the safety was coming over to Murray’s side n coulda made a play on the ball. But he said it was his fault, cause he shoulda gotten the ball to Murray earlier, as soon as he broke open with a nice spin move on the LB. Still tho, it was a nice football move by Murray to break upfield n get open!

On the play discussed in this thread, I agree with other posts: about the missed blocks, but most importantly, the ball placement.
Murray is a big back, and he’s plenty fast. But he’s not nearly as quick or shifty as AK. So when he had to put his back to the field to catch the ball, he then had to “gather himself” before taking it upfield. IMO, to get more outta Murray on those “swing pass” types of plays, you want to try to lead him with the pass. That way, his shoulders are squared up, and his eyes n esp his 230 lb body are already headed up field! Can’t remember who the QB was, but Murray caught one such pass in preseason, and it went for a big gain.

Remember too, it’s still early. But along with Murray’s 30 TD run, Jared Cook chipped in with a 31 yd reception. Once Drew develops better chemistry/timing and clean up the “little things” with his new guys , I’m thinking both’ll soon have a bigger role in the O!

:9:

I also think Murray would have had a better chance to break it if he cut back toward the middle of the field. IIRC, he tried to beat the LB around the corner and didn’t make it.

1568241218616.png

1568241374009.png

1568241876233.png

1568242085356.png

1568242229141.png

1568242482192.png

May not be Baldy, Rev Deuce or EJW, but that is some superb analysis better than 75% of the paid analyst on TV and in the press. To me, your analysis with the highlighted pics is extremely exciting and informative. Do us all a favor of SR and please keep posting.

I also think Murray would have had a better chance to break it if he cut back toward the middle of the field. IIRC, he tried to beat the LB around the corner and didn’t make it.

Agreed. But again, like I said, I think part of the problem was he had his back to the field when he caught the ball, then had to gather himself. He didn’t have the time to “see” the field. I think IF he catches the ball in stride, and with his eyes upfield, he makes that cut!

I bet we will see this play again. Probably tweaked a little. SP will find a way to make it work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom