Revisiting Joe Burrow draft (1 Viewer)

ilvdsnts

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
So in 2020 there were two thoughts from this board. Some people wanted to do whatever it took to get Joe Burrow and some people said no he’s not worth it. but people don’t usually go and revisit draft so looking back now, if you had a chance to redo the 2020 draft would you do a Ricky Williams trade for Joe Burrow? For the record at the time, I was one that wanted to give up whatever it took to cinci to get that pick from them.

So in 2020 there were two thoughts from this board. Some people wanted to do whatever it took to get Joe Burrow and some people said no he’s not worth it. but people don’t usually go and revisit draft so looking back now, if you had a chance to redo the 2020 draft would you do a Ricky Williams trade for Joe Burrow? For the record at the time, I was one that wanted to give up whatever it took to cinci to get that pick from them.
There was also the thought that it's totally unrealistic to think the Bengals would trade that pick for anything you could offer.

Yes, get Burrow at all costs. Well, not ALL costs, but a Ricky Williams type of haul? Yes.

would you do a Ricky Williams trade for Joe Burrow?

Of course, with hindsight, If we could have gotten him in exchange for the 4 players we got in that draft, it absolutely would have been worth it.

But at the time, it didn't make sense.

There was also the thought that it's totally unrealistic to think the Bengals would trade that pick for anything you could offer.

Anyone who thought Burrow was attainable by anyone other than the Bengals was just flat out stupid. It is embarrassing how many people took swimmer's bait for hook, line, and sinker.

It always makes sense to do whatever it takes to get the young super talented Franchise QB (if you believe that's what he is) at all costs... people put too much value on draft picks... 2 things win consistently in the NFL.... Great coaches, and Great QBs... those are foundational pieces, you built around them... But you have to have one or the other or both to build around to be a consistent winner in the NFL with very few exceptions (and please don't list the handful of exceptions in rebuttal, they are the exceptions)

Would you Trade Lattimore and Ram for Mahommes....? They are great players, and they are who we picked in 2017 in the 1st round.... I would have made that trade (2 firsts in 2017 to move up for Mahommes) before knowing what I know about those 2 players then - and knowing what I know about Pat then, and most certainly anyone would do it now in hindsight.

Last edited:
Yes, you go all out to get Burrow. If you keep your 2-7s, you give 3-4 1sts to get the job done. The Bengals knew what they were getting and I don't think they would've traded the pick for anything because if you really paid attention, Burrow showed at LSU what he's doing now.

I wanted to trade all would could for Peyton Manning.... I would have been onboard trading all we could have for Joe Burrow.... granted the other team has to listen to offers and I am pretty sure no way were the colts or bengals trading their pick

The Bengals made it pretty clear they were taking Burrow and weren't interested in trading.

But speaking of the Bengals and the Ricky Williams trade, before making the trade with the Redskins, the Saints offered the Bengals three first round picks to swap in the 1999 draft, and Mike Brown declined so he could take Akili Smith. There's no way he would have accepted a trade for the rights to pick Burrow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom