Revisiting the 2016 Draft (1 Viewer)

kidjock24

All Star
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if this was posted before, but the Atlantic graded the 2016 draft ( I think you should wait 4 years instead of 3 to grade drafts, but this is definitely better than grading them in the same year they happen) and we received a B+. Now I know we should be hard on grading our team, but HOW in the heck does this draft get less than a A when you hit on 80% of the your picks and one of the picks includes the BEST (yes, I'm biased, but no worse than top 5) WR in the NFFREAKINGL!

New Orleans Saints
Grade: B+
1 (12) Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
2 (47) Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State
2 (61) Vonn Bell, S, Ohio State
4 (120) David Onyemata, DL, Manitoba

7 (237) Daniel Lasco, RB, California (Free Agent)

Beat writer’s take: This draft class actually kicked off the turnaround from mediocre-land for the Saints, even though the 2017 crop receives most of the credit. Rankins is still recovering from a torn Achilles tendon suffered in the NFC divisional round against the Eagles, but he easily played his best season in 2018. Michael Thomas is Michael Thomas. The Saints traded up for both Bell and Onyemata. The former Ohio State safety has been a starter for three years, and Onyemata continues to improve every year. Injuries derailed Lasco’s career yet still wasn’t a poor pick in the seventh round. — Larry Holder

In my opinion, Vonn Bell does not get enough credit for his play. He was heavily criticized his first two season. But I see a player who has played very well and has improved each year. Even his first year, he didn't play all that bad, despite being a rookie. I thought he play well his second year, despite some bad plays here and there (like all players do). But I read criticism of him when it is unwarranted. And last season, when I thought he play extremely well where I thought he should of made the pro bowl, people on here are extremely quiet about him all of a sudden. I think he is underrated in this defense.

I agree with the Vonn Bell take. He was a solid safety for us last year. He kept a savy veteran in Kurt Coleman off the field all year.

In my opinion, Vonn Bell does not get enough credit for his play. He was heavily criticized his first two season. But I see a player who has played very well and has improved each year. Even his first year, he didn't play all that bad, despite being a rookie. I thought he play well his second year, despite some bad plays here and there (like all players do). But I read criticism of him when it is unwarranted. And last season, when I thought he play extremely well where I thought he should of made the pro bowl, people on here are extremely quiet about him all of a sudden. I think he is underrated in this defense.
I agree. Vonn Bell is extremely versatile, and doesn’t make many mistakes. Vonn Bell is one of the main reasons why our defense played so well against tight ends last season. Vonn Bell gets my vote for most underrated Saint.

I think 3 years is enough time to grade a draft, and I get the B+. Rankins is a beast and has gotten better each year. However, he gets a lot more love from Saints fans than national media. Partly because of his numbers which finally started to look good last season. And partly because of what appears to be a growing list of injuries.

Same with Vonn Bell minus the injuries. Onyemata is a solid rotational 3tech, but nothing noteworthy from a national perspective. As for Lasco, I dont think 6th and 7th rounders should count for or against a draft grade. Missing on them should be expected and hitting on them is as more luck than good drafting.

More than likely, MT is the only reason a national writer would give us the B+. This draft was where we started building this great roster we had, but the real reason it sticks out so much to us saints fans is because of how bad we had been at drafting the previous years.

I think 3 years is enough time to grade a draft, and I get the B+. Rankins is a beast and has gotten better each year. However, he gets a lot more love from Saints fans than national media. Partly because of his numbers which finally started to look good last season. And partly because of what appears to be a growing list of injuries.

More than likely, MT is the only reason a national writer would give us the B+. This draft was where we started building this great roster we had, but the real reason it sticks out so much to us saints fans is because of how bad we had been at drafting the previous years.

My thought process is that if you draft a Michael Thomas in the 2nd round that should get you an A at minimum. Then you add a DT with the ability to get you double digit sacks, a starting S, and rotational position player, that should put you in the A to A+ category. How can a national writer not say MT is a top 5 player at his position? And a DT finishing top 5 at his position in sacks? I mean, national writers should be able to grade that draft an A. Maybe I'm being a homer.

Yea for sure, Its a lot like how people were with Ingram his first couple years here.

Not all players are primed and ready to be solid contributors right out of college. It's a hard transition for most of them.

I love Vonn, he has steadily improved since hes been here. Hes one heck of a tackler, a great blitzer, and last year shown hes not too shabby in the coverage department.

Not all players get IT right away.

Everyone should be encouraged at the way Vonn is developing.

My thought process is that if you draft a Michael Thomas in the 2nd round that should get you an A at minimum. Then you add a DT with the ability to get you double digit sacks, a starting S, and rotational position player, that should put you in the A to A+ category. How can a national writer not say MT is a top 5 player at his position? And a DT finishing top 5 at his position in sacks? I mean, national writers should be able to grade that draft an A. Maybe I'm being a homer.

B+ is a load of crap

I'd argue we had the best draft in this class as well.

Every single pick is a starting caliber player. Well besides Lasco

A couple of them are All Pro talents.

Get outta here with B+ that's ridiculous

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom