Rewatched Playoff loss to Vikes this year ... (1 Viewer)

Brees is simply not able to push the ball down the field anymore. It’s just the truth even tho it’s blasphemy here.
Our vaunted O line seems to get blown up in the postseason also. I’m beginning to think I was wrong about how good they are. Speaking of the guards in particular.

And I stand by my assertion that our team is now and has been for a couple of seasons, the opposite of clutch.
Peat has always been up and down, often hobbled and slowed with injuries.

This was the case again.

Look, much of the loss was coaching. Bad decisions, failure to adjust.

I wondered why when things went well with Easton they forced back Peat into lineup coming off injury and over a month on hiatus. That was a question mark to me going in.

Zimmer exploited Peat from the get go and they mostly just let it go on. Peat came out dinged at one point and they had a good drive. Peat goes back and “oh no we suck again”. The minute Peat whiffed he should have been yanked. Too much at stake given his track record.

Then from there you can go to the abandonment of Murray. The OL played really well all year against some good fronts. They were a strength and it would have been a good idea to give them the opportunity to set the physical tone for the game but once again in a critical place we got a finesse “I’m smarter than you, just watch my plays and personnel groups!” game plan.

Peat has always been up and down, often hobbled and slowed with injuries.

This was the case again.

Look, much of the loss was coaching. Bad decisions, failure to adjust.

I wondered why when things went well with Easton they forced back Peat into lineup coming off injury and over a month on hiatus. That was a question mark to me going in.

Zimmer exploited Peat from the get go and they mostly just let it go on. Peat came out dinged at one point and they had a good drive. Peat goes back and “oh no we suck again”. The minute Peat whiffed he should have been yanked. Too much at stake given his track record.

Then from there you can go to the abandonment of Murray. The OL played really well all year against some good fronts. They were a strength and it would have been a good idea to give them the opportunity to set the physical tone for the game but once again in a critical place we got a finesse “I’m smarter than you, just watch my plays and personnel groups!” game plan.

Totally agree with the whole post.
And we seem to have been better at run blocking than pass blocking so that makes it even more curious to me why we didn’t run LM.

Payton was trying to prove there was nothing wrong with Kamara ... but there was something wrong with Kamara.

The Vikings defensive gameplan necessitated a more power style offense (as was mentioned, having their edge rushers inside would have been problematic with Murray running right at them). Instead, we got a steady diet of edge plays to Kamara for -2 to 2 yards a try.

Our biggest problem also is losing Ingram.

It could even been the difference between 13-3 and 14-2, we dont lose to the 49ers, maybe the Rams game would of went differently but I dunno. Ingram would of wore down that Minny D-line to a point it would of never got out of hand the way it did, if you notice at times this year, our running game was almost non existent in some games, Kamara being injured or whatever, and then Murrary is not a power bruiser like Ingram. Unless we find another hard runner like Ingram, that O-line will continue to be exploited.

Lat year was the lost opportunity.

This year the team lost the previous year's edge. Not as good on offense and defense both, howbeit marginally... but that's all it takes.

In the playoffs, the privilege to represent the division and/or the conference is fleeting.

And the fanbase is left hollow in the team's wake.

Oh, how different it could have been. If only the outcome would have been more favorable... sigh.

Our vaunted O line seems to get blown up in the postseason also.

Saints offensive line is the biggest group of frauds in the NFL. The have not shown up in the 2017, 2018, or 2019 playoff games and three straight seasons have pulled the biggest disappearing act in the league. I've been beating this drum all offseason; there is a trend with the Saints OL...

2017 playoff @ Vikings: Minnesota front four played very physical and punched the Saints OL in the mouth, Saints OL never recovered.

2018 regular season @ Dallas: Dallas front four humiliates Saints OL.

2018 playoffs vs Eagles and Rams: Both teams copied what Dallas did, their defensive lines played MUCH more physical in the playoffs than in the regular season against the Saints. Saints OL never matched the physicality of the defense they faced.

2019 playoffs vs Vikings: Minnesota front four played very physical and punched the Saints OL in the mouth, Saints OL never recovered.

The theme is rather alarming: when a defensive line gets physical with the Saints offensive line, the Saints OL just curls up into the fetal position and gets pushed around. They never fight back. Never. I noticed Payton tried roll-outs, leaving two TEs and a RB in to chip, he completely had to change his playcalling to be more and more passive any time he wanted to throw the ball. The OL just couldn't get any consistent blocking and you can tell on any deep throws, Brees doesn't have the confidence that the protection will last.

The Saints offensive line is soft. They're not physical, they're not mean, they're not fighters. Playoff games are won and lost in the trenches. The Saints offensive line is getting outright destroyed in the trenches in the playoffs. As long as this continues, it doesn't matter who is at QB for the Saints, they're going to struggle and the Saints will go one and done or sneak out a win and then get eliminated in the next round in the post-season.

The Saints OL needs a serious shift in culture, the current one is not getting it done at all.

Saints offensive line is the biggest group of frauds in the NFL. The have not shown up in the 2017, 2018, or 2019 playoff games and three straight seasons have pulled the biggest disappearing act in the league. I've been beating this drum all offseason; there is a trend with the Saints OL...

2017 playoff @ Vikings: Minnesota front four played very physical and punched the Saints OL in the mouth, Saints OL never recovered.

2018 regular season @ Dallas: Dallas front four humiliates Saints OL.

2018 playoffs vs Eagles and Rams: Both teams copied what Dallas did, their defensive lines played MUCH more physical in the playoffs than in the regular season against the Saints. Saints OL never matched the physicality of the defense they faced.

2019 playoffs vs Vikings: Minnesota front four played very physical and punched the Saints OL in the mouth, Saints OL never recovered.

The theme is rather alarming: when a defensive line gets physical with the Saints offensive line, the Saints OL just curls up into the fetal position and gets pushed around. They never fight back. Never. I noticed Payton tried roll-outs, leaving two TEs and a RB in to chip, he completely had to change his playcalling to be more and more passive any time he wanted to throw the ball. The OL just couldn't get any consistent blocking and you can tell on any deep throws, Brees doesn't have the confidence that the protection will last.

The Saints offensive line is soft. They're not physical, they're not mean, they're not fighters. Playoff games are won and lost in the trenches. The Saints offensive line is getting outright destroyed in the trenches in the playoffs. As long as this continues, it doesn't matter who is at QB for the Saints, they're going to struggle and the Saints will go one and done or sneak out a win and then get eliminated in the next round in the post-season.

The Saints OL needs a serious shift in culture, the current one is not getting it done at all.

Good post, and good points imo. I definitely think our guards are butter soft. I love our tackles and also think our center is going to be a good one. I do wish we had some nasty like we had with Carl and Jahri.

I also rewatched the Saints-49ers game. That darn soft offense only scored 47 points on the number 1 defense in the league. Its not the offense that folds when the game is on the line, its the D.

I also rewatched the Saints-49ers game. That darn soft offense only scored 47 points on the number 1 defense in the league. Its not the offense that folds when the game is on the line, its the D.

Oh that was the playoff game?

Coulda sworn we lost to the Vikes when the D tried their best but the O struggled to score 20

Coulda sworn we’ve struggled to score points in the playoffs for 2 yrs now

The coach wasnt helping out our defense either with the constant 3 and outs and 17 runs that game.
The defense kept us in that game until they broke in overtime.
Payton should have waited to get engaged this year in the offseason. Dude must have has head and ego buried somewhere because that game was winnable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom