Rewrite the Constitution? (1 Viewer)

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
This is based off something J-Donk had said in another thread and would like to see a discussion on this.

J-Donk said:
Second, we will eventually do a major rewrite to the constitution doing away with Congress. Congress is by far the least popular branch of government. It's inefficient compared to a direct democracy. Furthermore, it's becoming apparent that our current form of government is starting to break down. It's far to open to corruption. So why not move over to a direct democracy now? The problem has always been how to get the votes in over a large area. We still need some time on this I think to get internet to everyone, and near absolute cellphone saturation.
Do you think we should rewrite a new Constitution?<!-- / message -->

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know way too many people who own cell phones and am very happy they don't vote because their intelligence is the same as my cat. Giving them the texting ability to control the government? Yeah let's just leave that as a no.

Brandon13

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I know way too many people who own cell phones and am very happy they don't vote because their intelligence is the same as my cat. Giving them the texting ability to control the government? Yeah let's just leave that as a no.
I'm not even sure that the average voter is really any more (politically) intelligent than the average non voter.

Sun Wukong

Worlds Deadliest Fighting Arts Champion and Master
Reaction score
Jefferson once said the success or failure of this form of government was dependent on a well-informed electorate.

And we don't remotely have a well-informed electorate, so no. God, no.

bigdaddysaints

BigDaddy Has Arrived
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
first off, it could never happen with the congress we have now days.. these guys could never in a million years agree to stuff of that magnitude. we can't even pass a bill without having to add stuff to it that has nothing to do with the bill itself.. its actually sicking to think our gov't would not be capable of such things..

Sent from my Samsung Infuse using Tapatalk 2
Who Dat!

Symbiote

Reaction score
No but we should start locking up the criminals in Washington who are trying to take our Constitutional rights away.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It'll never happen anytime soon. But, there has been and will continue to be cultural change in the government itself. What it ends up like, I have no idea though.

J-Donk

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I feel like I should explain this further.

The last 2 congress's have been historically bad with last years being considered the worst ever. I see no coming change in the polarization of the parties with the advent of pundit talk news. I don't see how the American public could do any worse...... If Congress stays as popular as cockroaches this is not a crazy idea.

Mojomajik9

Team Gleason
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Who would write it? Our current political class? It would be a fiasco. No one would agree on what to put in, leave out, guarantee or whatnot. It'd probably be even more combative than the failed EU constitution.

For all their faults, the Founders stand head and shoulders over who we have now.

You can have Boehner, Reid, Pelosi or Ryan. I'll take Jefferson, Madison, Jay and Hamilton any day.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thing is our government by design is supposed to be inefficient. 2 different houses of congress and a president have to agree to get something done. Not easy. Unless its stripping away our rights for homeland security or for the war on drugs. Anyway, no. No way in the world do I want the constitution rewritten. These fools can't pass a bill to wipe their rear ends without being bought off by their puppet masters and you want them to write a new constitution.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom