Richard Sherman reacts to still-developing Saints cornerback situation (1 Viewer)

We only lost 1 starter in our secondary... Jackrabbit. Our defense was ranked #5 vs the pass.

The only depth players we lost were Swearinger and Crawley. Both are still available in free agency, so we could potentially bring them back or even upgrade.
So I wouldn't say our secondary is not just one piece away. Heck, rookie corners have had success in the past, especially ballhawk types. So maybe we're not even one player away. Adebo is considered more of a boom or bust from one play to the next because attacks the ball (PBU / INT) more than he defends the receiver. That's sort of Jackrabbit's game. Adebo's profile reminds me a little of Marcus Peters.

Right. I’m not trying to say we are depleted but there is always room to bring up the rear. His comment about us drafting a CB doesn’t make much sense. Probably every team drafts a corner a year way more often than not. It’s just a position of constant flux. Add in the uncertainty with Latt and I’m for bringing in a few guys. It’s camp, not the final roster.

We don’t have a lot of cash to pay him. Drafting a CB was a must even if we sign a veteran CB. Sherman viewing our draft pick as a negative seems like he knows he has lost leverage. I’m going to guess he doesn’t want to sign here and was using us for a pay day like Browner.
Exactly. If he doesn't understand that he is a short term solution for ANY team that signs him he isn't that smart. I'd be okay signing him if the price is reasonable (which it probably won't be.) We need bodies at CB and we need bodies that have a chance to play. He gives us that and some time to develop behind him.

I realize CB is of concern, but Sherman isn’t the player he was 2-3 years ago. If he signed here, Saint fans won’t see the same guy that played lockdown CB in Seattle. Today’s WR’s are young, fast and play with a rules advantage.
This is what I've been thinking. I totally understand wanting a name player at a position of need but I don't think Sherman would be that good in DA's scheme. Not at this point in his career anyway. But at the same time it's not like there's much to choose from at the moment.

We do need another veteran CB going into camp. Whether it is Sherman or Conley or someone else who can start, we can't go into camp with only Lattimore and a unproven rookie expecting him to start. The issue is IMO that Sherman may have an expectation for salary that we cannot meet and we will be left with someone's over the hill cut. Not ideal particularly when it is still unknown what is going to happen to Lattimore, if anything!

We do need another veteran CB going into camp. Whether it is Sherman or Conley or someone else who can start, we can't go into camp with only Lattimore and a unproven rookie expecting him to start. Not ideal particularly when it is still unknown what is going to happen to Lattimore, if anything!
That sums up my discomfort with our first pick in the draft. I was hoping for at least two CBs this week and a decent FA pick-up.

I think the value of a Richard Sherman is more for the locker room, film room, and sideline more than the actual field

A player/coach that is 80% coach

He's also far from his prime but don't underestimate what he can still bring on the field either

That sounds fine to me. Let's make 80% of his salary be in line with what a coach makes.

it is tempting to overstate the comment. He was hoping t have more leverage after the draft in demands for a salary and other guarantees. The word that Saints wanted to move up to grab a CB and then draft one that has the potential sort of undermined his leverage (in his opinion).

He is a veteran leader who can bring a lot of experience to the team. he would be an asset for both leadership/ exp and bringing a high level of competition. However, if he expects things to be gifted to him and it won't be, then that could be a liability. He needs to come in with the mindset (similarly to what Winston did).

----

Richard Sherman was on First Take today and Max asked him about alot of people were talking bout him going to New Orleans. Richard was like its a fit like a glove, plus Kris Richard being there was compelling for him (paraphrasing) , but he said Saints just picked up Adebo in the draft so he feels its not a need. I feel like it is a "need". We don't know what Adebo will be and with Laddy Daddy possibly being suspended once his case goes to court and Goodell makes his ruling. His presence could help the young guys as him being a coach on the field and sideline. We need help in the secondary also. So I think it is a "need". Now if its the money aspect I can see a point in that but otherwise its a fit and "need".

Last edited:
Richard Sherman was on First Take today and Max asked him about alot of people were talking bout him going to New Orleans. Richard was like its a fit like a glove, plus Kris Richard being there was compelling for him (paraphrasing) , but he said Saints just picked up Adebo in the draft so he feels its not a need. I feel like it is a "need". We don't know what Adebo will be and with Laddy Daddy possibly being suspended once his case goes to court and Goodell makes his ruling. His presence could help the young guys as him being a coach on the field and sideline. We need help in the secondary also. So I think it is a "need".
I agree. I feel its still a need.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom