Richard Sherman reacts to still-developing Saints cornerback situation (1 Viewer)

woohoosaint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Either he thinks that Adebo can be the real deal (with Kris Richards as the DB coach) or he's trying to ramp up the Saints interest in him...

While fielding questions from fans during a Twitch streaming event, Sherman mulled the situation with the Saints.
“It’s gotta be a ‘want’ and it’s got to be a respect level with everything,” Sherman said of interest between himself and potential suitors. “So, you know what I mean, Kris being there, they just drafted a corner. They don’t seem to me to be a ‘Y.'”
It’s unclear exactly what Sherman meant by that, but context clues suggest he doesn’t see the Saints as a ‘Yes’ in fitting what he’s looking for. He would be, at best, competing with Adebo to start in New Orleans. Considering Adebo’s talents and the coaching he’ll receive from Kris Richard, who Sherman has seen develop prospects firsthand, there are going to be more appealing destinations for him out there.

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I realize CB is of concern, but Sherman isn’t the player he was 2-3 years ago. If he signed here, Saint fans won’t see the same guy that played lockdown CB in Seattle. Today’s WR’s are young, fast and play with a rules advantage.
This is what I've been thinking. I totally understand wanting a name player at a position of need but I don't think Sherman would be that good in DA's scheme. Not at this point in his career anyway. But at the same time it's not like there's much to choose from at the moment.

JvilleJoe

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We do need another veteran CB going into camp. Whether it is Sherman or Conley or someone else who can start, we can't go into camp with only Lattimore and a unproven rookie expecting him to start. The issue is IMO that Sherman may have an expectation for salary that we cannot meet and we will be left with someone's over the hill cut. Not ideal particularly when it is still unknown what is going to happen to Lattimore, if anything!

Derrick 63

Saints Fan ®
Reaction score
We do need another veteran CB going into camp. Whether it is Sherman or Conley or someone else who can start, we can't go into camp with only Lattimore and a unproven rookie expecting him to start. Not ideal particularly when it is still unknown what is going to happen to Lattimore, if anything!
That sums up my discomfort with our first pick in the draft. I was hoping for at least two CBs this week and a decent FA pick-up.

gtaz21

Groundskeeper
Reaction score
I think the value of a Richard Sherman is more for the locker room, film room, and sideline more than the actual field

A player/coach that is 80% coach

He's also far from his prime but don't underestimate what he can still bring on the field either

That sounds fine to me. Let's make 80% of his salary be in line with what a coach makes.

St. Pike

Representing Proudly
Reaction score
it is tempting to overstate the comment. He was hoping t have more leverage after the draft in demands for a salary and other guarantees. The word that Saints wanted to move up to grab a CB and then draft one that has the potential sort of undermined his leverage (in his opinion).

He is a veteran leader who can bring a lot of experience to the team. he would be an asset for both leadership/ exp and bringing a high level of competition. However, if he expects things to be gifted to him and it won't be, then that could be a liability. He needs to come in with the mindset (similarly to what Winston did).

----

Reaction score
Richard Sherman was on First Take today and Max asked him about alot of people were talking bout him going to New Orleans. Richard was like its a fit like a glove, plus Kris Richard being there was compelling for him (paraphrasing) , but he said Saints just picked up Adebo in the draft so he feels its not a need. I feel like it is a "need". We don't know what Adebo will be and with Laddy Daddy possibly being suspended once his case goes to court and Goodell makes his ruling. His presence could help the young guys as him being a coach on the field and sideline. We need help in the secondary also. So I think it is a "need". Now if its the money aspect I can see a point in that but otherwise its a fit and "need".

Last edited:

St.Fury

Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Richard Sherman was on First Take today and Max asked him about alot of people were talking bout him going to New Orleans. Richard was like its a fit like a glove, plus Kris Richard being there was compelling for him (paraphrasing) , but he said Saints just picked up Adebo in the draft so he feels its not a need. I feel like it is a "need". We don't know what Adebo will be and with Laddy Daddy possibly being suspended once his case goes to court and Goodell makes his ruling. His presence could help the young guys as him being a coach on the field and sideline. We need help in the secondary also. So I think it is a "need".
I agree. I feel its still a need.

jdpower13

The french guy
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Raiders signed another veteran and the other 3 teams drafted a corner (Saints and 49ers in the 3rd round and Seahawks in the 4th). I get the feeling he's going to sign with us but way cheaper than his previous 3years/27M contract

St.Fury

Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Raiders signed another veteran and the other 3 teams drafted a corner (Saints and 49ers in the 3rd round and Seahawks in the 4th). I get the feeling he's going to sign with us but way cheaper than his previous 3years/27M contract
Right. I think it benefits him that Kris Richard is very familiar with him from their days together in Seattle. He'll know how and when to best use Sherman.

whodatsaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
He doesn’t want to compete for a spot. He wants to be treated as a star player, like he used to be. I don’t blame him. Nobody wants to step down off that kind of pedestal. Maybe he’ll find that somewhere but I’m prett sure Sean Payton won’t play that game with him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom