Richard Sherman reacts to still-developing Saints cornerback situation (2 Viewers)

And what is the depth on the edges? PRob is a nickle corner. CJGJ is an excellent nickle. P. J. Williams is more of a safety. What if Lattimore's legal troubles result in a suspension? Grant Haley? Keith Washington?
Now, if I'm not mistaken, Sherman always plays on the left side. There's another problem if he is added. Nonetheless, there is a place for him on this team in my view as a starting edge CB. The cornerback situation for the Saints is tenuous at best.

We don’t have a lot of cash to pay him. Drafting a CB was a must even if we sign a veteran CB. Sherman viewing our draft pick as a negative seems like he knows he has lost leverage. I’m going to guess he doesn’t want to sign here and was using us for a pay day like Browner.

Sherman wants to start, and he wants starter's money, both of which just became less likely with the Saints now that we've drafted Adebo. I'm not saying Adebo can necessarily come in and start and be what we need him to be (especially after sitting out 2020), but at some point it's a numbers game and our supply on CB just went up and so our demand for a FA CB probably also just went down.

PRob and Jenkins are both 33. Demario is 32. There would be some sets where Sherman doesn’t increase the average age of the secondary.

I realize CB is of concern, but Sherman isn’t the player he was 2-3 years ago. If he signed here, Saint fans won’t see the same guy that played lockdown CB in Seattle. Today’s WR’s are young, fast and play with a rules advantage.
I don't see him as a solution either, just a name players on the decline and we'd be getting a player who is a shell of his former self wed minus well role with Robinson there.

Sherman wants to start, and he wants starter's money, both of which just became less likely with the Saints now that we've drafted Adebo.

Yea I was leaning toward the “why not” camp before but it sounds like he wants to be gifted a starter spot based on “respect”. If we don’t land him, it could be yet another blessing in disguise. I am sure very few of us think this is a real run at it all this year. So let’s evaluate young guys, let them take their licks and protect our future in doing so.

Sooner or later he'll realize that he'll never find a situation where he can just waltz right into a starting position. Competing with a rookie - and hopefully mentoring him along the way - is the best he can do. One would thing that would be enough for him (while making millions).

There is no way that any rookie should start over Sherman...so if he truly has concerns about how a draft selection would impact his playing time...that is incredibly silly. Especially considering that the Saints selected a 3rd round CB. 3rd rounders aren’t guaranteed to EVER start. There’s no way that Payton is hoping to have Adebo start this year.

I realize CB is of concern, but Sherman isn’t the player he was 2-3 years ago. If he signed here, Saint fans won’t see the same guy that played lockdown CB in Seattle. Today’s WR’s are young, fast and play with a rules advantage.
That why u roll safety help to his side when press man on a fast WR

I love Sherman. One of my favorite all time non-Saints. He’s smart enough to know this is probably his last big payday. As beneficial as it would be for us, I don’t see what is in it for him and really don’t think he lands here. I think he wants someone to overpay or to finish his career back in Seattle. At least, that’s how my mindset would be if I were him.

He is emotional which can come off as not smart. But he is plenty smart enough to know that we are not just one piece away in our secondary.
We only lost 1 starter in our secondary... Jackrabbit. Our defense was ranked #5 vs the pass.

The only depth players we lost were Swearinger and Crawley. Both are still available in free agency, so we could potentially bring them back or even upgrade.
So I wouldn't say our secondary is not just one piece away. Heck, rookie corners have had success in the past, especially ballhawk types. So maybe we're not even one player away. Adebo is considered more of a boom or bust from one play to the next because attacks the ball (PBU / INT) more than he defends the receiver. That's sort of Jackrabbit's game. Adebo's profile reminds me a little of Marcus Peters.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom