Richard Spencer gets punched in the face (1 Viewer)

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here is video of white supremacist &quot;Alt-Right&quot; leader Richard Spencer getting punched in the face. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MAGA?src=hash">#MAGA</a> <a href="https://t.co/T4euEASJjS">pic.twitter.com/T4euEASJjS</a></p>&mdash; Tariq Nasheed (@tariqnasheed) <a href="https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/822591759607877632">January 20, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thoughts? Is this unprovoked, repugnant violence? Or more a case of "you make Nazi salutes in public, you're probably gonna get punched in the face?"

It's interesting. I'm not quite sure how I feel.

Oye

carry all the groceries in in one trip
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's an assault and the coward who sucker-punched him should be charged. Period.
yes, it's assault

OP made it clear where the dilemma comes from.

It's obvious assault. But since it's a racist/bigot/neo-Nazi/Hitler sympathizer/white supremacist, does it somehow make it a somewhat reasonable assault or less objectionable assault?

For some people, being a neo-Nazi white supremacist makes a difference in these sorts of calculations or at least merits consideration vis a vis complexity

you're only addressing one half of his premise

anything you'd like to add?

brockmeaux

I'm Batman
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Part of me feels like, good, he had it coming. Call it my sense of schadenfreude. Spencer could probably appreciate me having German feelings.

But the vast majority of me feels like this was not something to celebrate. They assaulted him unprovoked and - though, again, he probably deserved it - they should pay the price. If he had gotten physical or verbally abusive towards them, go for it. But what happened in reality is to be condemned.

Saints 4 life

⚜ Falcons Suck ⚜
Reaction score
Oye, you've been on the ignore list for a while now. Don't know what your reply to me is, and don't care. My guess is you tried to justify the assault. It wouldn't surprise me at all. Anyway. Don't waste your time replying to me. Thanks.

brockmeaux

I'm Batman
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oye, you've been on the ignore list for a while now. Don't know what your reply to me is, and don't care. My guess is you tried to justify the assault. It wouldn't surprise me at all. Anyway. Don't waste your time replying to me. Thanks.
Swing and a miss.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
yes, it's assault

OP made it clear where the dilemma comes from.

It's obvious assault. But since it's a racist/bigot/neo-Nazi/Hitler sympathizer/white supremacist, does it somehow make it a somewhat reasonable assault or less objectionable assault?

For some people, being a neo-Nazi white supremacist makes a difference in these sorts of calculations or at least merits consideration vis a vis complexity

you're only addressing one half of his premise

anything you'd like to add?
It's only ok to assault people protesting president Trump.

:hihi:

Saints 4 life

⚜ Falcons Suck ⚜
Reaction score
Swing and a miss.
Yeah well.

I have no idea who this clown is that got punched in his ear lol If he is a white supremacist and goes around in public talking stupid, maybe he deserves what he got, but it's still an assault and it's a crime and this guy needs to be charged.

OP
RetroMcBananaFace

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
It's an assault and the coward who sucker-punched him should be charged. Period.
Sure, but at the same time, if dude is not going around making Nazi salutes, has he given any reason for anyone to punch him in the face?

Would you fault a Jew in 1940s Germany for punching Hitler in the face? Or anybody, really, who punched Hitler in the face?

There are cut-and-dried legalities of course, as well as moral considerations that none of us are arguing against. But I would absolutely be lying if I said I wasn't feeling a little bit of "Haha, got what he deserved."

Oye

carry all the groceries in in one trip
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Swing and a miss.
yep

I don't condone the action. I think it's understandable, but I don't think it's right. And I wouldn't suggest nor advocate someone doing it.

I'm certainly not going to justify it.

I think it's a poor idea for several reasons:

1. I don't generally advocate unprovoked violence as a rule
2. It will only serve to make Spencer look like a hero and martyr for his bigoted cause to those who follow him
3. It will cause the attacker to be arrested and prosecuted, and perhaps spend time in prison

In the heat of the moment, with someone preaching hate - I can understand why someone listening would be emotionally provoked and driven to do this. Perhaps 'heat of the moment' defense.

But condone or justify it?

Me?

Nope.

brockmeaux

I'm Batman
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah well.

I have no idea who this clown is that got punched in his ear lol If he is a white supremacist and goes around in public talking stupid, maybe he deserves what he got, but it's still an assault and it's a crime and this guy needs to be charged.
I'll spoil it so you don't have to peek from behind the ignore list: you and Oye are in perfect agreement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom