Richardson set to endorse Obama (1 Viewer)

Formerly of the Clinton administration. What a traitor. j/k

IMO it won't make a big difference. May boost his Hispanic support a little.

I think Richardson was the most qualified of all the candidates, on both sides of the aisle. UN Ambassador, energy secretary, governor.

I would like to have seen an Edwards/Richardson ticket, but Obama/Richardson will do just fine.

Smart move by Richardson. He is doing the right thing. Hillary Clinton is divisive and will stop at nothing to win this election for her own personal ambitions; this includes putting forth spurious arguments that suggest that Barack is trying to disenfranchise the great people of Michigan and Florida. I think Richardson and others are able to see that Obama gives the Democrats the best opportunity to win in the general election. Make no mistake about it, if Clinton became the Democratic nominee, I would painfully throw my support behind John McCain. I WILL NEVER VOTE for Hillary Clinton. The lady is pure venom and I am delighted to see that Richardson did not pander to the Clinton machinery.

Richardson should have endorsed Obama before the Texas primary if it were to have any electoral effect. Obama's goals now are to run out the clock on Michigan and Florida, tie up in red tape any solutions to that problem , and get the Wright business off the page. The Richardson endorsement and latest passport flap help in the latter objective.

Richardson, like George Tenet, is a classic bureaucratic climber-upper. The VP slot is perfect for him, but there's only so much diversity for the electorate to handle at one time. I believe there are better choices, like Biden.

Richardson should have endorsed Obama before the Texas primary if it were to have any electoral effect. Obama's goals now are to run out the clock on Michigan and Florida, tie up in red tape any solutions to that problem , and get the Wright business off the page. The Richardson endorsement and latest passport flap help in the latter objective.

Richardson, like George Tenet, is a classic bureaucratic climber-upper. The VP slot is perfect for him, but there's only so much diversity for the electorate to handle at one time. I believe there are better choices, like Biden.

It won't be Biden. Obamabiden just doesn't roll off the tongue. :D

While I doubt Richardson's endorsement will have a large effect on the election, I immediately heard Howard Cosell's voice:

"Down goes Clinton!! Down goes Clinton!!: :hihi:

You know the Clintons are fuming over this.

I don't agree. Richardson has wider support than you might think, and Biden has more baggage. He's not liked by many fence-sitting moderates who could swing to McCain very easily.

I should say, that's just my anecdotal take on things, as I know a number of centrist Republicans who speak fairly favorably of both Obama and Richardson, but share some of the same disdain for Biden that they hold for Clinton, Reid, Pelosi and their ilk.

I don't agree. Richardson has wider support than you might think, and Biden has more baggage. He's not liked by many fence-sitting moderates who could swing to McCain very easily.

I should say, that's just my anecdotal take on things, as I know a number of centrist Republicans who speak fairly favorably of both Obama and Richardson, but share some of the same disdain for Biden that they hold for Clinton, Reid, Pelosi and their ilk.

Why do you think some of your friend's or the republicans you know feel that way?(view him with the same disdain as the Clinton's, Pelosi's, Reid's etc) I'm just curious.

Barack almost has to choose a governor as his VP. I do not know that it'll be Richardson. Kaine could get the call. I think it would be difficult for Barack to choose another minority (i.e. RIchardson, Patrick, etc) and expect to win in the general election. I personally believe that he should choose Kathleen Sebelius as his running mate even though that might not be the most conventional choice to some political pundits and, even, voters.

Put me down as an moderate who would prefer Biden. I'm aware of the baggage, but I like the guy's 'no nonsense' approach to the issues.

Richardson just doesn't appear to have a lot on the ball. His resume is impressive but he doesn't come off as one of the nation's best and brightest. I though his debate performances bordered on embarrassment.

Perhaps not a fair assessment.

JMO

Why do you think some of your friend's or the republicans you know feel that way?(view him with the same disdain as the Clinton's, Pelosi's, Reid's etc) I'm just curious.

I get the sense that he's perceived as part of the typical Democratic machinery, and that he tends to color his opinions based upon the political currents of his party.

I'm not entirely sure, because I don't share the same feelings, but it's something I've noticed long before this election cycle began.

Barack almost has to choose a governor as his VP. I do not know that it'll be Richardson. Kaine could get the call. I think it would be difficult for Barack to choose another minority (i.e. RIchardson, Patrick, etc) and expect to win in the general election. I personally believe that he should choose Kathleen Sebelius as his running mate even though that might not be the most conventional choice to some political pundits and, even, voters.

I agree with the first part of this post, but not the second.

It may sound sexist, but he can't pick a woman as a running mate. Though I like Bill Richardson, and he wouldn't be a bad choice, the smart money is on a moderate white man. Biden fits that bill, certainly, I just think he's got the wrong baggage. So I don't know who it would be.

In debate and before, Joe Biden seemed like the only adult, which counts for much. He alone has a cogent plan for Iraq, while perhaps unworkable, does show a thought process at work. I agree a Governor looks better on paper, but foreign experience is a quality over which McCain will hammer Obama. I don't think gubernatorial bench strength is good in either party, and none, excepting Pawlenty (mAAAAAybe), could deliver a swing state of consequence.

Joe Biden was the best candidate of either party running. It's unfortunate we are wowed by the celebrity candidates, all three of them.

I want to add some impressions and history on Richardson. He is a tonedeaf politician who has a career resume, but little else. He persecuted, not prosecuted, Wen Ho Lee in the Los Alamos case, gave away the store in North Korea, and on the campaign trail, virtually allowed immigrants to get full citizenship sight unseen. He would be a disaster of George H. W. Bush proportions, the prior model of someone who was appointed all the way to the top.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom