Richardson set to endorse Obama (1 Viewer)

In debate and before, Joe Biden seemed like the only adult, which counts for much. He alone has a cogent plan for Iraq, while perhaps unworkable, does show a thought process at work. I agree a Governor looks better on paper, but foreign experience is a quality over which McCain will hammer Obama. I don't think gubernatorial bench strength is good in either party, and none, excepting Pawlenty (mAAAAAybe), could deliver a swing state of consequence.

Joe Biden was the best candidate of either party running. It's unfortunate we are wowed by the celebrity candidates, all three of them.

Again, I agree with much of the first part of your post, but not the second. He's a smart guy, but you can't possibly overlook his smugness as completely distasteful. Indeed, he is both partisan, and appears to be partisan.

There's a reason why his runs for the office have fallen flat on their face. I don't dismiss him as a VP candidate, but Obama is infinitely more attractive as a presidential candidate, IMHO. We may not agree, because we're looking at it from two vantage points. But Biden's intelligence alone isn't sufficient to make him a good President. In fact, if recent history proves anything, it's that no intelligence whatsoever is required to be elected.

I want to add some impressions and history on Richardson. He is a tonedeaf politician who has a career resume, but little else. He persecuted, not prosecuted, Wen Ho Lee in the Los Alamos case, gave away the store in North Korea, and on the campaign trail, virtually allowed immigrants to get full citizenship sight unseen. He would be a disaster of George H. W. Bush proportions, the prior model of someone who was appointed all the way to the top.

Agreed.

On the campaign trail and in the debates Richardson always appeared to me to be a buffoon.

While I don't think Generals necessarily make great VP nominees, Obama might be best served nominating one if he gets the nomination. He doesn't need someone who is a star, he needs someone who will appease white moderates and who will cut into McCain's foreign policy cred (which I think is highly overrated, and will likely be exposed somewhat in the election). Nominating a woman or a minority is an appeal to the base when this fight is going to be over independents. By the time the swift-boaters on both sides get geared up I think we'll see the bases coalesce.

Democrats will not nominate anyone who will not agree with tthe key policy positions. Wes Clark, a climber in his own right, is a Clinton supporter. Anthony Zinni is the general cited as VP material, but he has to be as quick as Clark was to swallow the entire Democratic policy playbook. It still seems gimmicky to put him with Obama.

Biden is experienced, but is smug and not particularly friendly with Capitol Hill colleagues. On paper at least, he compensates for Obama's weaknesses. Jim Webb could bring in Virginia, Bob Nelson in Florida, Ted Strickland in Ohio. The first two have weaknesses themselves, respectively a confrontational persona, and impending doteage.
Strickland governs a basketcase of a state, hardly an endorsement. The Obama VP choice hinges on polls, count on it.

>>Put me down as an moderate who would prefer Biden. I'm aware of the baggage, but I like the guy's 'no nonsense' approach to the issues.

I agree.

>>Richardson just doesn't appear to have a lot on the ball. His resume is impressive but he doesn't come off as one of the nation's best and brightest. I though his debate performances bordered on embarrassment.

This is also true. He's great in one-on-one interviews, and he's a pretty good public speaker in front of an audience. But just like 2000 or 2004 when the feelers were out, he didn't appear ready for prime-time to me. He's a little bit too wrinkled and folksy, and his debate performances were embarrassing considering that he was a legitimate, heavyweight contender at the beginning of the campaign.

TPSoonerjimvisitsthe21stcentury?

McCain three times made the Iran-Al Queda link. There are people who are certain of either argument, and they are readily accessible. Lieberman was shown correcting McCain on a film clip. It was not judged senility; rather, a shot at Iran. There's no downside among the Republican base when that happens. Doing something tangible about it is another matter.

The McCain gaffe struck me as Freudian instead of evidence of senility.

It's like they got so used to suggesting an AQ/Iraq link that it makes it easier to slip up and suggest and AQ/Iran link.

The subconscious is a powerful thing.

You know the Clintons are fuming over this.

They are.

I'll have to find the link but I had read a while back that when Richardson first dropped out and didn't endorse Hillary at that time that Bill called him up and chewed him out, saying something to the effect of "What? Two Cabinet positions wasn't enough?".

In a way, it's a little sad. If you can't rely on the guy whose political career you basically made, you know the situation is dire.

EDIT: I couldn't find anything from an "official" news source. A lot of political blogs make a reference to it happening but nobody involved has confirmed it.

Last edited:
They are.

I'll have to find the link but I had read a while back that when Richardson first dropped out and didn't endorse Hillary at that time that Bill called him up and chewed him out, saying something to the effect of "What? Two Cabinet positions wasn't enough?".

In a way, it's a little sad. If you can't rely on the guy whose political career you basically made, you know the situation is dire.

LOL, what a great response from Bill. Endorsements might not be what they used to be. Obama got both Massachusetts senators and Caroline's JFK mantle of change, and Hillary swamped him.

At this pace, Bill Richardson willl have received every cabinet post in government by 2030 or so. Don't think he wouldn't try.

They are.

EDIT: I couldn't find anything from an "official" news source. A lot of political blogs make a reference to it happening but nobody involved has confirmed it.

Mark Penn said today that a Richardson endorsement has passed the point of being of any consequence. On the other hand, it has been reported that as recently as eight days ago Hillary was on the phone with him, seeking his worthless endorsement.

I don't think there is any electoral significance here, but it's proof enough that Obama isn't going to be derailed in the primary by his connection to Rev. Wright (and that Hillary remains a longshot). On the other hand, I wouldn't say that Richardson has proven he is politically saavy, and his endorsement shouldn't be read into that much. White voters have yet to chime in.

There's a report on Drudge, which I find hard to believe, that 20% of Democratic voters would defect to McCain if their candidate lost the nomination. A look at the always entertaining Democratic Underground shows the tension and anger of identity politics brought to its ugly conclusion. These two are identical on policy. The healthcare difference is one of degree, not kind. Obama said he wants to move to Hillary's position, just not as fast. Both hedge on Iraq and NAFTA.

The country moves leftward regardless of who is elected. We started on that tract domestically with three massive bush entitlements on agriculture, drugs, and education. McCain is agnostic on tax policy, much as Dole had to have a gun held to his head to bring in the feckless Jack Kemp.

I blame Reagan. Has he had the courage of his convictions, he'd have picked Kemp as VP in 1980 and denied the Bush dynasty which makes the party settle for McCain today. .

Mark Penn said today that a Richardson endorsement has passed the point of being of any consequence. On the other hand, it has been reported that as recently as eight days ago Hillary was on the phone with him, seeking his worthless endorsement.

I don't think there is any electoral significance here, but it's proof enough that Obama isn't going to be derailed in the primary by his connection to Rev. Wright (and that Hillary remains a longshot). On the other hand, I wouldn't say that Richardson has proven he is politically saavy, and his endorsement shouldn't be read into that much. White voters have yet to chime in.

Contrast that with CNN, who is seemingly showering Obama with accolades for picking up the Richardson endorsement as it may open the floodgates for other superdelagates to hedge to the messiahs side.

There's a report on Drudge, which I find hard to believe, that 20% of Democratic voters would defect to McCain if their candidate lost the nomination. A look at the always entertaining Democratic Underground shows the tension and anger of identity politics brought to its ugly conclusion. These two are identical on policy. The healthcare difference is one of degree, not kind. Obama said he wants to move to Hillary's position, just not as fast. Both hedge on Iraq and NAFTA.

I would bet that those numbers are quite fluid. A month ago everyone was singing the "Democrats love their candidates and whoever wins the primary will be President" song. The general election battle lines have yet to be drawn.

To cast it in different terms:
I didn't run into a single LSU fan who rooted for Ohio State to beat Florida in in the '06-'07 BCS championship game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom