Rick Mueller Talks about Vilma and Free Agency on WIST Sports Saturday (1 Viewer)

so from rick meullers own mouth the jeremy shockey trade is not true the saints never offered a pick to the giants.

I miss listening to Sportswrap!

They heavily talked about Randall Gay...Muller said that Gay is a solid nickel corner...so if we do sign him, then he will probably be a #3 or #4.

Muller, also said they were interested in Briggs and did talk to him and his agent. But also gave the talk of..."if we signed a BIG player, our chunk of our cap would go to him and we don't want that".

They heavily talked about Randall Gay...Muller said that Gay is a solid nickel corner...so if we do sign him, then he will probably be a #3 or #4.

Muller, also said they were interested in Briggs and did talk to him and his agent. But also gave the talk of..."if we signed a BIG player, our chunk of our cap would go to him and we don't want that".

i wouldnt mind having a "chunk of cap" gone if we can be a competitive team.

So, let's save the $30 million for a handful of scrubbs and end up overpaying for trash like last year. What a freaking joke! :mad:

If by "chunk of our cap" he means giving $20 mill a year to someone, which is just a liar's way of saying, sorry for not trying..

that attitude right there explains exactly why this franchise is a laughing stock

reading that ****** me off

That is pathetic

With that attitude things can only get worse as the salary cap escalates.

Why did I have to read this post? I am so upset with myself for opening this thread up and seeing this post. No, I am not upset with you for reporting what you heard. I am upset with Mueller for saying it. What the hell does he mean that our chunk of cap would go to Briggs and we don't want that. What is, then, do we want? Oh yeah, over-the-hill players like Aaron Glenn who we entertained yesterday. I mean, that's the dumbest statement ever. The Saints have $35 million. Sure, we must re-sign Colston, Evans and Smith. But we have plenty of money to have signed at least one and still have re-signed those guys. I mean, we pretend as if the cap does not go up every year. It used to be that you had to be careful signing guys or you could end up in cap hell. That reality has changed and the only team that perennially faces cap hell is the Redskins because of how they structured deals in the past with all those signing bonuses.

Let's look at it this way. Let's say the Saints would have offered Briggs a 7 year deal worth $49 million with $17.5 million guaranteed. The guaranteed money would prorate over the life of the deal at $2.5 million per year. Now, let's say this yearly base salaries were as follow:

Year 1: 3, 000, 000 So in year 1, he only counts $5.5 million against our cap and we have $35 million available

Year 2: 2, 250, 000

Year 3: 2, 750, 000

Year 4: 3, 500, 000

Year 5: 4, 500, 000

Year 6: 5, 500, 000

Year 7: 27, 500, 000

The Saints could have easily set up a deal like this where his cap figures would be $5.5, $4. 75, $5.25, $6.0, $7.0, and $8.0 million in the first six years of the deal. So the deal would either be a five or six year deal. After 5 years, Briggs is 32. So we could make a decision on him for the final two years. If we would have cut him after 5 seasons, he would immediately count $5 million against the cap for that sixth season. But we would have cap savings that year of $3.0 million since his base salary would not be included once he is cut; only the prorated bonus would become accelerated against the cap. Given that the cap is steadily increasing, I am led to believe that in six years, $8 million against the cap won't be significant. So, the notion that he would have commanded a huge chunk of our cap is RIDICULOUS. If further buttresses my belief that the Saints dropped the ball on this one.

Ugh!

Nickel corner??? These guys still insist that Jason David is our #2 CB?

We won't throw those kind of dollars at someone like Briggs, but we will throw them to Jason David. I don't get it. Jason David should be required to carry the players' equipment on and off the team bus. That way we can recoup some of the wasted money.

Actually, the list of players we have to re-sign by next year also includes Jon Vilma. That's 4 players who are arguably as good, if not outright better, than all but 1, maybe 2, on the open market this off-season. That's 4 players over the next 2 seasons who will legitimately command top dollar to retain their services. I think that's more prevalent in the minds of our front office than simply being frugal. Furthermore, I wonder if Briggs ever really intended to leave Chicago, or if he was simply determining his market value. If that was the impression on the minds of GMs around the league, it would explain the seemingly limited interest in him. Even if we had been able to convince him to leave an ideal situation for him with the Bears, how much might it have cost us? With all the young talent that we have to consider extending, I'm not sure it would have been feasible to over-extend for a player like Briggs or Samuel.

Nickel corner??? These guys still insist that Jason David is our #2 CB?

We won't throw those kind of dollars at someone like Briggs, but we will throw them to Jason David. I don't get it. Jason David should be required to carry the players' equipment on and off the team bus. That way we can recoup some of the wasted money.

Jason David signed for 4 years at about $15 million. It hasn't worked out to this point (I'm certain that we haven't seen the player he can yet...). Bad argument.

I said it before and I will say it again Shanle and David will start next season!!! I was hoping I was wrong but it is not looking to good.......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom