Rickey Jackson snubbed again for HOF. (1 Viewer)

We need to commission a bronze bust of Rickey and sneak it into the HOF and put it in its rightful place. That would draw media attention, which is what is mainly needed to get into the HOF. Too bad there is not a Hall Of Great Professional Football Players, There would be no way to keep him out of it.

...+57- If Rickey Jackson had played for the Giants, Lawrence Taylor would have been in the Harry Carson role in that equation- great player, but not as outstanding as Rickey.......

I am a HUGE Rickey Jackson fan (see my username), but let's not get carried away here.

Rickey certainly belongs in the hall of fame. He played both the run and pass as well as any other outside linebacker I've seen, aside from Lawrence Taylor. Without question, playing for the Saints is hurting his pro-bowl chances. Ahh, if we only had a productive offense during the dome patrol years so many things would be different. A couple of superbowl appearances, Rickey and Sam Mills in the hall, oh well, coulda woulda shoulda..

We need to commission a bronze bust of Rickey and sneak it into the HOF and put it in its rightful place. That would draw media attention, which is what is mainly needed to get into the HOF. Too bad there is not a Hall Of Great Professional Football Players, There would be no way to keep him out of it.

I must say.....BRILLIANT!

I've been saying for years that Rickey Jackson is as good as Lawrence Taylor ever was. LT played on a better team than Rickey did. I just don't understand their rationale.

may be getting a little carried away there man....LT was an absolute beast every second he was in the game...

Top Tier - LT - Singletary - Butkus

Rickey wasn't quite as good as these guys...

may be getting a little carried away there man....LT was an absolute beast every second he was in the game...

Top Tier - LT - Singletary - Butkus

Rickey wasn't quite as good as these guys...

...You guys are SO drinking the media Kool-Aid when it comes to Taylor. This stuff is all so subjective, but you put Taylor in, say, Kansas City instead of New York and he has a great career but doesn't get the hype he got in NYC, nor the credit he gets for "revolutionizing" the game, as some think.......

...You guys are SO drinking the media Kool-Aid when it comes to Taylor. This stuff is all so subjective, but you put Taylor in, say, Kansas City instead of New York and he has a great career but doesn't get the hype he got in NYC, nor the credit he gets for "revolutionizing" the game, as some think.......

It wasn't the media that stated that he revolutionized the game. Joe Gibbs has often stated that facets of his offense were built around pass protection specifically for Lawrence Taylor. Basically, this was the first player that forced him to revamp his offense to account for one player. Previously, he was use a fullback or tailback to take on the outside linebacker. Not with L.T. He was forced to use an extra tightend and/or have his tackle block L.T rather than the end.

Players such as Jaws and Theismann have also frequently stated that L.T was the most disruptive force that they ever played against. Now, would L.T have had the same impact in Kansas City? Who knows, but odds are, he would have caused the same matchup problems for AFC teams as he did playing in the NFC East.

Again, I am a huge Rickey Jackson fan, but don't feel that he was as dominant as Lawrence Taylor. Rickey is a guy that in my opinion, was a guy more similiar to Hollywood Henderson, but tougher mentally and more consistent.

Rickey meant more to his club than most other players mentioned. The whole defensive demeaner changed when he stepped on the field. You not only could feel the electricity in the stands, you could feel it through those non plasma's proliferating the game today. I've seen the greats; Brown, Title, Unitas, etc. Jim Brown had the presence, so did Bambi (Lance Alworth), and Deacon Jones. I put Rickey in that class. The fire of Rickey will burn forever in my heart, more so than anyone in that orange juice squeezer of a hallowed hall.

Oh boy, not again. Just curious, do you support any Saints, former or present, aside from Colby Bockwoldt?

LMAO. I was waiting for the flames, but couldn't you come up with something more original than that? I support all of our players, past and present, unless they're playing against us with another team. That, however, has NOTHING to do with my comment. Was RJ an incredible player? Yes. Does he deserve to be in the HOF on football merit? Yes. Does he need to take care of his children? Yes. Could the reason that he ISN'T in the HOF have to do with this legal issue? Possibly. It's something to think about. Pete Rose wasn't allowed in the baseball HOF because he bet on a game, which is not even close to being wanted by the law. Think about it, and get off the Colby Bockwoldt horse, it's dead.

In the NFL, off-field issues specifically are not considered.

Good thing for Paul Hornung and Alex Karras.

Not to mention Tootin' Lawrence Taylor, the best LB of his generation.

Look, we gotta get over it. The only Hall of Fame I'm worried about is the Saints Hall of Fame, because we know our own.

Ricky was a tough dude, I remember he played in a game with his jaw all wired up after wrecking his Corvette at high speeds a few nights earlier on Airline Hwy.

Mongoose, did you watch the Saints play with Rickey Jackson? If you watched, you had to know that he was a man whose greatness would have emerged no matter who lined up oppisite of him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom