N/S Ricky Williams changes his name. (1 Viewer)

I worked with someone whose husband changed his last name to hers. He had an abusive relationship with his family as a kid and didn't want that name and history passed on to his wife and potential children.

I was a kid and was P'Oed at the gm at the time. Ditka and Willisms with Master P, the media circus. The trading of Picks to Washington.....he wasnt a bad pick...its how we got him that always sticks with me and is why I dont believe in trading the draft for 1 man.

However Davenport is a special case with me lol. I love the player.
Just want to set the record straight we actually got two players for trading away the entire draft. The other one is not mentioned often because the media always want s to overstate things, but before we traded for Ricky we had already traded some of our draft picks for WR Eddie Kennison. I will also point out that while our record in 1999 was abysmal, with no 1st or 3rd round draft pick in 2000 we were able to win our first ever playoff game.

So perhaps the draft "debacle" is a little overstated.

Just want to set the record straight we actually got two players for trading away the entire draft. The other one is not mentioned often because the media always want s to overstate things, but before we traded for Ricky we had already traded some of our draft picks for WR Eddie Kennison. I will also point out that while our record in 1999 was abysmal, with no 1st or 3rd round draft pick in 2000 we were able to win our first ever playoff game.

Good catch.

I was just talking to my wife about this practice. If changing last names is supposed to be a symbol of unity-- the two becoming one, new family--then there's really no reason a husband can't take his wife's last name or vice versa. If it's about property, though; that is, the woman was her father's property and now she is her husband's, that's a problem and maybe it's best to do away with the practice.

Yeah considering who our coach was, I had less of an issue with them sending all their picks for at least what was considered a 'sure thing.' Honestly what would Ditka have done with the draft picks anyway? Off the top of my head I know he drafted Chris Naole, Cam Cleeland, and Fred Weary. Cleeland was great that first year but then was never the same after Pennygate. Naeole had a good career in Jacksonville. Fred Weary was decent for us for several years. So outside of Ricky, Ditka drafted 16 players - 1 was a good lineman, 1 was a flash in the pan TE, and the other was a decent short-term CB. If Naeole was the only good pick, I think that's a 6% success rate...not great odds.

When we got him it was a double edge sword for me. I was P'Oed that we traded away the draft for one pick but I was excited that we got him. I never expected that he was a head case.

Yeah considering who our coach was, I had less of an issue with them sending all their picks for at least what was considered a 'sure thing.' Honestly what would Ditka have done with the draft picks anyway? Off the top of my head I know he drafted Chris Naole, Cam Cleeland, and Fred Weary. Cleeland was great that first year but then was never the same after Pennygate. Naeole had a good career in Jacksonville. Fred Weary was decent for us for several years. So outside of Ricky, Ditka drafted 16 players - 1 was a good lineman, 1 was a flash in the pan TE, and the other was a decent short-term CB. If Naeole was the only good pick, I think that's a 6% success rate...not great odds.
forgot Kyle Turley

Guy who shoots up a church or school is a nutcase, guy who storms the capitol in a buffalo hat to subvert democracy is a nutcase, guy who keeps his own daughter locked up in the cellar for a decade and has a child with her is a nutcase.

Ricky has a different way of living his life, that fits his view of happiness, and though it does not fit social norms functions within society with near zero impact on anyone elses lives. Not a nutcase.
Him retiring abruptly in 2004 at the beginning of the season did hurt the chances of success for the Miami Dolphins and his a sense and the inability of the Dolphins franchise to replace such a huge offensive weapon led to Mike Wanstadt and his staff getting fired all because Ricky ran away from the responsibility . Keep in mind, some experts viewed Miami as a SB-CALIBER team going into that season.

Ricky was full of sheet when he said later on he was burned out at the beginning of the 2004 season not wanting to play football, he continued to keep playing until the end of 2012 season. He just didn't want to play for Wannstedt anymore, and ran away for a while and quit to make his point. That's not very professional behavior in my view. You don't handle problems like immature, childish brats when faced with a lot of pressure, and intense adversity.

Ricky is certainly not a nutcase, but his behavior exhibited tendencies of someone who isn't very good or capable of handling intense pressure or adversity and doesn't always make the best decisions when pressed by them.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom